Wu Tsai Neurosciences Institute
Wu Tsai Neurosciences Institute is seeking an experienced and multifaceted communicator to develop an overarching communications strategy for the institute, create and manage messaging about our scientific discoveries in neuroscience over a variety of media platforms, tell the stories of our faculty and trainees, and position the institute as a world leader in interdisciplinary neuroscience research.
The Wu Tsai Neurosciences Institute aims to unlock the mysteries of the brain and behavior through (1) cultivating a cross-disciplinary community of researchers focused on neuroscience questions and applications, (2) funding team-based research projects in NeuroDiscovery, NeuroEngineering and NeuroHealth, and (3) creating neuroscience community labs with infrastructure and essential scientific expertise to further neuroscience research at Stanford University.
Under the guidance of senior management, you will plan, coordinate and implement communication programs for the Wu Tsai Neurosciences Institute. Further, you will develop internal and external written communications, web and digital communications, and collateral materials and coordinate media relations programs and efforts. You will report to the Project Manager as well as coordinate closely with University and Vice Provost and Dean of Research communications teams. You will also:
- Provide public relations support for audiences that are both internal and external to the university.
- Plan and execute activities to support public relations objectives.
- Develop, execute and oversee written communications of moderate complexity, including presentations, speeches, news stories, web content, talking points, correspondence and social media posts.
- Build and maintain relationships with internal and external partners.
- Participate in regular meetings of key researchers with media relations needs to develop strategies and tactics for facilitating effective communications.
- Identify and maintain professional relationships with key press, policy influencers and community leaders.
- Prepare content for internal or external newsletters. Understand email and digital content distribution.
- Assist in developing strategies for brand management, reputation management and issues management of moderate complexity.
- Assist with the design and implementation of effective constituent communications programs and social media strategies.
- Serve as a project leader for public relations activities of small to moderate complexity.
To be successful in this position, you will bring:
- Bachelor's degree and five years of relevant experience or combination of education and relevant experience. Background in neuroscience or a related scientific field strongly preferred.
- Excellent written communication skills, reporting skills, and advanced skills in conceptual editing, copy editing, and proofreading.
- Solid experience with science writing for varied audiences, from specialists to the general public.
- Ability to work collaboratively with internal communications groups across campus.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills in working with a variety of people.
- Capacity to write and synthesize materials and communicate information in a manner easily understood.
- Understanding of graphic design principles, ability to manage and maintain institute branding guidelines across diverse forms of media including web, print and social media.
Please note this position may require the following:
- Occasional work on evenings and weekends or non-standard hours based on project or business needs.
- On call and ability to respond 24/7.
Why Stanford is for You
Imagine a world without search engines or social platforms. Consider lives saved through first-ever organ transplants and research to cure illnesses. Stanford University has revolutionized the way we live and enrich the world. Supporting this mission is our diverse and dedicated 17,000 staff. We seek talent driven to impact the future of our legacy. Our culture and unique perks empower you with:
- Freedom to grow. We offer career development programs, tuition reimbursement, or audit a course. Join a TedTalk, film screening, or listen to a renowned author or global leader speak.
- A caring culture. We provide superb retirement plans, generous time-off, and family care resources.
- A healthier you. Climb our rock wall, or choose from hundreds of health or fitness classes at our world-class exercise facilities. We also provide excellent health care benefits.
- Discovery and fun. Stroll through historic sculptures, trails, and museums.
- Enviable resources. Enjoy free commuter programs, ridesharing incentives, discounts and more!
How to Apply
We invite you to apply for this position by clicking on the “Apply for Job” button. To be considered, please submit a cover letter, formatted résumé and a link to your writing portfolio or sample works along with your online application. Your cover letter should briefly describe your background and interest in this specific position.
The job duties listed are typical examples of work performed by positions in this job classification and are not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Specific duties and responsibilities may vary depending on department or program needs without changing the general nature and scope of the job or level of responsibility. Employees may also perform other duties as assigned.
Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
Stanford is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Public Relations Officer 2
Job Code: 4263
Job Grade: I
- Schedule: Full-time
- Job Code: 4263
- Employee Status: Regular
- Grade: I
- Requisition ID: 87564