Postdoctoral Research Fellowship in Philosophy
5 days left
- Full Time
A Postdoctoral Research Fellowship (SKO 1352) is available at the Department of Philosophy, Classics, History of Art and Ideas at the University of Oslo.
The Postdoctoral Research Fellowship is funded by the Norwegian Research Council and is associated with the project New Frontiers of Speech: Meaning and Communication in the Information Age. The candidate is expected to conduct research project broadly connected to the project themes, in for example, areas such philosophy of language, social epistemology, philosophy of information, philosophy of technology or practical ethics.
The position is available for a period of 2 years and 3 months, with the possibility of up to 10% teaching and administrative duties. Successful candidates may also apply to the Norwegian Research Council for up to 12 months additional funding for a research stay at a foreign institution.
The successful candidate is expected to become part of the research environment/network of the project and the host department, and contribute to their development. The main purpose of postdoctoral research fellowships is to qualify researchers for work in higher academic positions within their disciplines.
- PhD or equivalent academic qualifications in Philosophy
- The candidate's proposed research must be broadly connected to the project themes (e.g., philosophy of language, social epistemology, philosophy of information, philosophy of AI, philosophy of technology)
- Fluent oral and written communication skills in English
- Personal suitability and motivation for the position
The doctoral dissertation must be submitted for evaluation by the application closing date. Appointment is dependent on the conferral of the doctoral thesis.
In the evaluation of the applications, emphasis will be placed on:
- The scientific merit, research-related relevance and innovation of the applicant’s proposed research
- The applicant’s estimated academic and personal ability to carry out the proposed research within the allotted time frame and to contribute to the research environment and activities of the project
- Good co-operation skills, and the ability to successfully join in academic collaboration within and across disciplines
- Salary NOK 523 200 – 605 500 per annum depending on qualifications
- A professionally stimulating working environment
- Membership in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- Attractive welfare benefits
How to apply
The application must include
- Application letter describing the applicant’s qualifications and motivation for the position
- Curriculum Vitae (with a list of education, positions, teaching experience, administrative experience and other qualifying activities)
- List of publications
- Description of research (3 - 5 pages). The description must present a feasible plan for research to be undertaken for the duration of the position. It is expected that the applicant will be able to complete the project during the period of appointment.
- Three academic works that the applicant wishes to be considered.
In assessing the applications, special emphasis will be placed on the documented, academic qualifications, the project description and the quality of the project as well as the candidates motivation and personal suitability.
Please note that all documents must be in English or a Scandinavian language.
Letters of recommendation, diplomas, certificates, doctoral thesis and other academic works may be requested later.
The application with attachments must be delivered in our electronic recruiting system.
Short-listed candidates will be invited for an interview.