Research Associate, Geography/Geology/Environmental Science
We invite applications for the position of Research Associate to join our research group in the Earth Observatory in Singapore (EOS) to work on hydro-geomorphologic mapping, morphodynamics, sediment transport and flood hazards in large Southeast Asian rivers with focus on the Irrawaddy basin (Myanmar).
- Perform GIS/RS analysis for fluvial geomorphic research (e.g. DEM processing, satellite products (MODIS/Landsat, radar images, etc), geomorphic/geologic mapping, morphometric analysis, surface processes, floods hazards, hydrological data derived from GIS), sedimentological and geophysical digital products
- To participate of field works (car and boat) for geophysics surveys using echosounders, ADCPs, sub-bottom profilers and others. Assistance for drilling and collection of sediment cores
- Literature reviews and data mining from websites or documents from different sources
- Contribute as an assistant in laboratorial analyses in the Sedimentology lab (mineralogy, geochemistry, chronologies by Pb210 and others)
- Organize and process results, report to PI and any other ad-hoc duties as assigned by PI
- Master Degree in geography, geology, environmental science or related fields.
- Capability to handle large-scale geospatial data and to conduct spatial analysis using GIS and remote sensing software
- Knowledge on DEMs (such as SRTM) and their processing/analysis
- Experience in some general environmental analysis such as web data mining (from governmental or non-governmental agencies), literature reviews and basic statistical analysis
- Skillsets to identify necessary RS data, download and process to derive final products such as land cover maps, flood maps or morphometry
- Knowledge on sedimentology and analytical methods applied to recent sediments (texture, mineralogy geochemistry)
- Willing to conduct field work overseas when necessary
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Well organized and proactive/positive attitude in working as a team
- Experience using geospatial technology to study geomorphology/hydrology and hydrological/morphodynamic modeling, Quaternary geology
- R and Python Data Analysis
- Geomorphologic mapping software such as Global Mapper and others.
- Experience with radar remote sensing such as ALOS-PALSAR or radar altimeter
- Some field work experience in hydrology, fluvial geomorphology or geology
- Skills in Graphic design (Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, etc)
We regret to inform that only shortlisted candidates will be notified.