Postdoctoral Research Fellow Position, Department of Marine Technology
About the position
We have a vacancy for a Postdoctoral Research Fellow position at the Department of Marine Technology NTNU for the CONWIND project: Research on smart operation control technologies for offshore wind farms.
The Department of Marine Technology (IMT) is a world leader in education, research, and innovation for engineering systems in the marine environment. We specialize in methods and techniques which facilitate the assessment, development, and sustainable operation of Norway's biggest export industries – oil and gas extraction at sea, ship technology with corresponding equipment industry, fisheries technology and aquaculture technology– as well as newer developments including offshore renewable energy (wind, wave, and current), coastal infrastructure such as floating bridges, and marine robotics for mapping and monitoring the ocean environment, including polar regions.
The CONWIND project is a collaborative project between China and Norway. The members of the Norwegian project group are NORCE, SINTEF, NTNU and UiB. The Chinese team consists of six universities and leading companies in wind energy. This postdoctoral position is a part of the work package 3 and 4 of CONWIND project with focus on integrated modelling of wind farms for control applications. The goal is to develop farm level dynamic models of wind farms used in control algorithms for maximizing production, yet reducing turbine loads and component fatigue damage. We offer the opportunity to work in a very inspiring and motivating research group. Thanks to our industrial collaborations, the candidate will also gain significant industrial insights through industrial collaboration. The candidate will also actively participate in symposia, workshops and international conferences.
The position reports to Associate Professor Amir Nejad in close collaboration with Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering and Department of Mathematical Sciences at NTNU.
Duties of the position
- Develop wind farm model considering structural and drivetrain internal and external dynamics
- Integrating the model with the wake and grid models from other work packages
- Develop optimized farm control strategy to minimize structural loads at the farm level and investigate the effect on structural and mechanical components in terms of fatigue life
- Validating the model with high fidelity full order models
Required selection criteria
- A postdoctoral research fellowships is a qualification position in which the main objective is qualification for work in academic positions. You must have completed a Norwegian doctoral degree in related Engineering, or Physics or Mathematics, preferably Mechanical Engineering, Marine Engineering, Mechatronics or corresponding foreign doctoral degree recognized as equivalent to a Norwegian doctoral degree is required.
If, for any reason, you have taken a career break or have had an atypical career and wish to disclose this in your application, the selection committee will take this into account, recognizing that the quantity of your research may be reduced as a result.
The appointment is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants and national guidelines for appointment as PhD, post doctor and research assistant.
- Applicants must have excellent English language skills, written and spoken.
- Applicants must demonstrate research ability in wind turbine/ farm dynamic modelling and analysis and well familiar with tools and software used for such analysis.
Preferred selection criteria
- Relevant industry experience may be an advantage.
- Structured, targeted and solution-oriented
- The successful candidate will be a team player in a group with the project consortium, professors, researchers, PhDs and scientists from the industrial sector
- Self-driven with a strong ability to work independently when required
- Proven ability to work with an interdisciplinary team
- Have good dissemination skills
- Positive and friendly attitude, and contributing to a sustainable social environment will also be valued
- exciting and stimulating tasks in a strong international academic environment
- an open and inclusive work environment with dedicated colleagues
- favourable terms in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- employee benefits
Salary and conditions
The employment period is 2 years.
Postdoctoral candidates are placed in code 1352 and are normally remunerated at gross from NOK 542 400 per annum before tax, depending on qualifications and seniority. From the salary, 2% is deducted as a contribution to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund.
The engagement is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants, and the acts relating to Control of the Export of Strategic Goods, Services and Technology. Candidates who by assessment of the application and attachment are seen to conflict with the criteria in the latter law will be prohibited from recruitment to NTNU. After the appointment you must assume that there may be changes in the area of work.
It is a prerequisite you can be present at and accessible to the institution on a daily basis.
About the application
The application and supporting documentation to be used as the basis for the assessment must be in English.
Publications and other scientific work must follow the application. Please note that applications are only evaluated based on the information available on the application deadline. You should ensure that your application shows clearly how your skills and experience meet the criteria which are set out above.
The application must include:
- A cover letter where the applicant describes the personal motivation, summarising scientific work, and how the applicant sees her/his background suitable
- A draft research proposal (1 or 2 pages) for the postdoctoral career, where the candidate presents her/his ideas for the postdoctoral work and how it can be applied, based on the project description given in this advertisement. This proposal will be neither final nor binding for the project.
- CV (summarising education, positions, pedagogical experience, administrative experience and other qualifying activity).
- Copies of educational certificates, academic transcript of records and letters of recommendation. Applicants from universities outside Norway are kindly requested to send a diploma supplement (https://ec.europa.eu/education/diploma-supplement_en ) or a similar document, which describes in detail the study programme and grading system.
- A publication list, including citation rates according to Google Scholar, Scopus or Web of Science. Highlight up to five of the most significant and relevant publications.
- The English language proficiency (if any).
- Names and contact information of at least two references (name, relation to candidate, e-mail and telephone number).
Joint works will be considered. If it is difficult to identify your contribution to joint works, you must attach a brief description of your participation.
In the evaluation of which candidate is best qualified, emphasis will be placed on education, experience and personal suitability. Interviews with the best-qualified candidates will be arranged.
Incomplete applications will not be taken into consideration.
NTNU is committed to following evaluation criteria for research quality according to The San Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment - DORA.
A good work environment is characterized by diversity. We encourage qualified candidates to apply, regardless of their gender, functional capacity or cultural background.
The city of Trondheim is a modern European city with a rich cultural scene. Trondheim is the innovation capital of Norway with a population of 200,000. The Norwegian welfare state, including healthcare, schools, kindergartens and overall equality, is probably the best of its kind in the world. Professional subsidized day-care for children is easily available. Furthermore, Trondheim offers great opportunities for education (including international schools) and possibilities to enjoy nature, culture and family life and has low crime rates and clean air quality.
As an employee at NTNU, you must at all times adhere to the changes that the development in the subject entails and the organizational changes that are adopted.
Information Act (Offentleglova), your name, age, position and municipality may be made public even if you have requested not to have your name entered on the list of applicants.
If you have any questions about the position, please contact Associate Professor Amir Nejad, Amir.Nejad@ntnu.no. If you have any questions about the recruitment process, please contact Marit Gjersvold, email@example.com.
Please submit your application electronically via jobbnorge.no with your CV, diplomas and certificates. Applications submitted elsewhere will not be considered. Diploma Supplement is required to attach for European Master Diplomas outside Norway. Chinese applicants are required to provide confirmation of Master Diploma from China Credentials Verification (CHSI).
If you are invited for interview you must include certified copies of transcripts and reference letters. Please refer to the application number IV-213/20 when applying.
Application deadline: 15.11.2020
NTNU - knowledge for a better world
The Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) creates knowledge for a better world and solutions that can change everyday life.
Department of Marine Technology
We develop methods and technology related to the blue economy: oil and gas extraction at sea, ship technology and the equipment industry, fisheries and aquaculture. We also have a strong commitment to the development of sustainable solutions for offshore renewable energy, coastal infrastructure, and marine robotics. Marine technology helps to solve major global challenges related to the environment, climate, energy, food and efficient transport. The Department of Marine Technology is one of eight departments in the Faculty of Engineering.
Deadline 15th November 2020
Employer NTNU - Norwegian University of Science and Technology
Place of service Department of Marine Technology