Program Director (Pediatrics Residency)
Position Program Director (Pediatrics Residency)
Location Hanoi, Vietnam
VinUniversity is a newly developed, private, non-profit university in Hanoi, Vietnam. It was established by Vingroup with a mission to be the first world-class, internationally accredited and recognized university in Vietnam. VinUniversity has two overarching goals: to excel in teaching and to produce graduates and research that contribute to developing the key economic sectors of Vietnam.
The formation of the VinUniversity has resulted from the collaboration of Vingroup with Cornell University and the University of Pennsylvania. Cornell provides academic consulting on Management, Engineering, and Technology; and Penn focuses on the Health Sciences Programs. Both Cornell University and the University of Pennsylvania are distinguished Ivy League institutions based in the United States of America. Penn’s medical and nursing schools are functioning to guide the formation of health science education at VinUniversity and to interface with Vinmec, Vingroup’s outstanding health system, which currently encompasses 7 hospitals throughout Vietnam. VinUniversity aims to meet the 5-star rating standards of QS Stars and will include the following colleges within the University: College of Business & Management; College of Engineering and Computer Science; and College of Health Sciences. The University will be an English Medium Instruction (EMI) institution and will open for the inaugural class of students in Fall 2020.
Vingroup was established in Ukraine in 1993 by Vietnamese, who were living in the Ukraine. Upon its relocation to Vietnam, the venture officially became Vingroup Joint Stock Company in 2012. Vingroup’s mission is to create a better life for the Vietnamese people. In 2016 and 2017, Vingroup was recognized among the “Top 50 Most Valuable Brands in Vietnam” (by Brand Finance magazine). Today, Vingroup is one of the leading private enterprises in Vietnam, operating in eight core business areas, including real estate, retail, hospitality, education, agriculture, healthcare, heavy industry (starting with automobile manufacturing), and smart technology. In 2016, education and healthcare became not-for-profit value-based systems.
Mr. Pham Nhat Vuong is the founder and chairman of Vingroup, which has $3.97 billion USD in net revenue (2017) and a largest market capitalization value of $13.6 billion USD in Vietnam (2018). Chairman Vuong is a visionary and true patriot of Vietnam and firmly believes that education is the single biggest catalyst that can transform the destiny of an individual, a society, and a nation. His aspiration is to create a breakthrough in the Vietnamese education sector and to groom the next generation of leaders in the 21st century and beyond for Vietnam.
This is currently a unique opportunity to join and contribute to the growing research and educational programs in Vinmec Healthcare System as well as the upcoming VinUniversity College of Health Sciences (VU-HS). Vinmec desires a collegial, collaborative, outstanding medical educator with significant higher medical education career (particularly in residency program leadership).
The successful candidate will have a strong track record of leadership in higher education curriculum design, development and implementation in the University sector specifically in graduate medical programs, broad collaborative network.
This position is a full-time faculty appointment with a competitive start-up package. Vinmec and Vingroup offers an excellent remuneration package with various benefits of a leading private business corporation in Vietnam. More importantly, this is a great career opportunity for those academic leaders who want to pursuit a meaningful journey to improve the quality of health care service and education reform with great impact on one of the largest populations in Asia.
Faculty rank and salary package will be commensurate with qualifications, regardless of gender, ethnicity, countries of origin, or religious background.
Reports to: Dean of Health Sciences
Medical education program development and leadership
- The successful candidate is expected to work closely with the Penn and Vinmec educational leaders, other Program Directors of Internal Medicine and Surgery residency, Directors of MD Program as well as the Vinmec Hospital Clinical leaderboard on all aspects of the development and implementation of the Pediatrics Residency Program.
- Take lead and responsibility for the development and implementation of the curriculum for the Pediatrics Residency program at VU-HS/Vinmec hospital.
- Provide leadership on course development, curriculum development and implementation, course quality assurance and improvement, and professional accreditation for Residency education programs at VU-HS.
- Provide leadership at course levels for implementation of teaching and learning priorities such as competency based education, student centered learning, clinical teacher appraisal and articulation to post graduate’s program.
- Promote the development of active teaching and learning practices in the delivery of the course ensuring integration of graduate attributes and competency standards across the course.
- Manage and oversee budgets for strategic funds allocated to course development.
Human Resource development, mentoring, and clinical teaching
- The candidate is also expected to maintain leadership and mentorship capability in advising Vinmec and other partnering hospital team members within his/her area of expertise to build up the clinical faculty team for Pediatrics Residency Program
- The candidate is expected to teach in his/her area of expertise to Vinmec junior team members, VU-HS students in professional (health sciences discipline) and graduate programs.
- Work with the VU-HS leaderboard to develop a profile of suitable candidates to teach in the course and participate in selection committees for position appointments.
- Provide coaching and mentoring for the professional development of faculty members of graduate medical program at VU-HS to prepare for future generation of clinical educators.
- Prepare a program for performance appraisal of staff and department chairs as assigned by the leaderboard of VU-HS/Vinmec.
Networking, international partnership and other services
- The program director is expected to take the lead in building up international partnerships for Vinmec in Pediatrics Residency education. This includes cooperation and advocacy work with local stakeholders and partners to satisfy all the requirements to implement graduate medical programs in Vietnam context.
- He/she will also serve on different sciences/educational and professional committees of VinUniversity/ Vinmec as assigned.
- During the clinical teaching, he/she will also perform clinical practices at VinUniversity affiliated teaching hospitals following the best practice of university teaching hospital model.
KEY SELECTION CRITERIA
- MD degree with Board certification in the US. Current certification in the specialty of Pediatrics, or specialty qualifications that are acceptable to the ACGME-I Review Committee.
- Requisite specialty expertise and documented educational and administrative experience acceptable to the ACGME-I Review Committee: (1) at least five years of participation as an active faculty member in a pediatrics residency program (2) at least three years of graduate medical education administrative experience prior to appointment.
- Current medical licensure and appropriate medical staff appointment.
- Strong track record in graduate medical education program development and implementation with international standard and accreditation, especially the US standards (i.e. USMLE qualification, ACGME/ ACGME-I accreditation).
- Experience in health care education pedagogy as well as clinical teaching.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skill in English.
- Excellent interpersonal skills in academic setting.
- Verbal communication skill in Vietnamese is a plus.
- Experience in coaching/mentoring medical educators.
- Experience of working in multidisciplinary and collaborative educational team.
English is the language of teaching and communication at VinUniversity. For this role, the minimum requirement is IELTS (Academic) with a score of at least 7.0.
For Higher Education roles, English Language Proficiency may also be proven by having completed PhD studies while being instructed through the medium of English.
All foreign employees must adhere to the requirements for obtaining a valid visa and work permit in Vietnam. These requirements are mandated by the Government and may be over and above the mandatory requirements and key selection criteria. Work permit requirements are subject to change.
VinUniversity accepts zero tolerance to non-adherence of the immigration laws of Vietnam.
The salary and benefits are competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience.
LIVING AND WORKING IN HANOI, VIETNAM
- Accommodation: VinUniversity will provide accommodation benefit in the compensation package and assist with accommodation options.
- Working permit: VinUniversity will assist in establishing the paperwork needed for employment in Vietnam (visa, working permit, ID, driver license, insurance, etc.)
- Child education: VinUniversity will assist in finding an excellent school for your children. There is child education allowance if your children study at Vinschools.
- Living costs: Vietnam has a comparatively low cost of living and expatriates can live a very comfortable life here with a moderate expenditure.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, please send (1) a resume, (2) a cover letter, (3) teaching and research statement and other relevant qualifications to firstname.lastname@example.org. Consideration of candidates will occur on a rolling basis beginning October 2020, and will continue until the position is filled. Individuals who wish to nominate a candidate should submit a letter of nomination including the candidate’s contact information to the Search Committee.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Vietnam Economic Times >> http://vneconomictimes.com/article/business/vingroup-partners-with-cornell-penn-universities
Philadelphia Business Journal >> https://www.bizjournals.com/philadelphia/news/2018/09/12/penn-medicine-vietnam-vinuni-vinmec-global-health.html
Apply for Program Director (Pediatrics Residency)
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly