University Data Protection Officer
2 days left
- Full Time
Closing Date: Monday 02 November 2020
Do you have extensive knowledge of data protection legislation, information security standards and ICO guidance? Are you an expert in the systems and processes involved in gathering, storing, transferring and collecting data in a national and international context? Then join the University of East London as a Data Protection Officer and you could soon be operating at a senior leadership level within the Higher Education business sector.
The University of East London has an exciting opportunity for an enthusiastic Data Protection Officer to join our dynamic team. This permanent position is well suited for an individual that is looking to advance their career in compliance and data protection across a national and international sphere of academic and business operations.
Based within the Governance, Legal Services and Compliance service, you will work closely with the University Secretary, University Executive Board, Board of Governors and Internal and External Stakeholders. You will also be responsible for managing and developing a team of specialists to help shape the strategy, policies and improvement initiatives of the university.
Key responsibilities include:
• Developing and implementing a data protection framework consisting of policies, procedures, processes, guidance and metrics to ensure compliance with data protection law and regulation using a risk-based approach that aligns with relevant quality standards;
• Maintaining responsibility and accountability and acting as a first point of contact for data subjects, Supervisory Authorities, data processors and other Data Protection Officers;
• Train and organise an effective first line support of Information Assurance representatives in the respective academic and professional support services functions to co-ordinate data protection activities;
• Advise on Data Protection Impact Assessments where appropriate on systems processing personal data and ensure that all new systems implement privacy by design and default;
• Advise on the management and fulfilment of information rights requests and official disclosure;
• Maintain accurate, comprehensive and authoritative records of all data processing activities undertaken by, or on behalf of the university;
• Carry out data breach incident response tasks.
The ideal candidate will be educated to Degree level or equivalent, with the appropriate Professional Qualifications (CIPP/E, CIPM, CIPT cert.dp). You will have the ability to articulate an approach to managing diverse and challenging stakeholders and an awareness of data protection obligations in other jurisdictions within the European Union. You will also understand University insurance arrangements and the ability to assist with claims management and automation to improve the use of our cover to reduce operational expenditure that could otherwise be covered by insurance premiums
At the University of East London, we aim to attract and retain the best possible staff and offer a working environment at the heart of a dynamic region with excellent transport links. You can look forward to a warm, sincere welcome, genuine camaraderie and mobility in an institution led with passion, visibility and purpose. Your impact, resilience and sense of collegiality will directly contribute to the University’s future and those of the students whose lives you will touch and change forever.
We also offer a great range of benefits including a generous pension scheme, family friendly policies and an on-site nursery and gym at our Docklands Campus. Further detail regarding employment benefits can be found at the employee benefits section of our recruitment pages.
So, if you have what we are looking for and are committed to providing a high-quality Data Protection service where continuous improvement is the goal, get in touch.
A successful external candidate for this position would be employed by UEL Professional Services Ltd, a wholly owned subsidiary of UEL. Employees of UEL Professional Services Ltd work alongside UEL colleagues in delivery of UEL’s mission, and UEL Professional Services Ltd will adopt UEL HR policies and procedures in full. Further detail regarding employment benefits can be found at the employee benefits section of our recruitment pages.
CVs without a completed application form will not be accepted.
At UEL we are committed to working together to build a community which values diversity in both our staff and student populations, is representative and inclusive, enabling all to progress and thrive.