La Trobe University Industry Research Scholarship, Environmental Archaeology of Port Phillip Bay
Amount: $28,392 Per annum, for three and a half years. Fee relief additional.
Who is it for?: Future PhD candidates
Where is it available?: Melbourne
How is it paid?: Fortnightly stipend
Please do not use the apply now button
We are seeking an enthusiastic and highly motivated student to undertake a fully funded PhD project in Environmental Archaeology reconstructing the Holocene palaeoenvironment of Port Phillip Bay, to investigate human-environment interactions.
About our research project
Port Phillip Bay, on which Melbourne is located, has a complex history, with evidence for a late Holocene drying event within the last 2,800-1,000BP years, corroborated by local Aboriginal oral traditions that describe the bay as a former hunting ground (Holdgate et al. 2011). The project will involve analysis of sediment cores from the eastern flank of the bay that extent back to 14,000BP, with the aim of better understanding sea level fluctuations, palaeoecological change, and land management practices within the bay (for example Aboriginal fire management).
Environmental archaeology approaches such as the study of pollen and charcoal in the core, combined with geochronological techniques will be employed to investigate sea level change in the bay, vegetation change, and the role people played in managing the environment. There is scope for fieldwork, and to retrieve further cores to bolster the analysis. This research is respectfully carried out on Bunurong Country and funded by LXRP, and will be undertaken with full consultation of all stakeholders.
Benefits of the scholarship include:
- a La Trobe Research Scholarship for three and a half years, with a value of $28,392 per annum, to support your living costs (2020 rate)
- a fee-relief scholarship for up to four years to undertake a PhD at La Trobe University
- relocation allowance and publication/thesis allowance
- opportunities to work with La Trobe’s outstanding researchers, and have access to our suite of professional development programs.
Are you eligible to apply?
To be eligible to apply for this scholarship, applicants must:
- meet the entrance requirements for the proposed course
- not be receiving another scholarship greater than 75 per cent of the stipend rate for the same purpose.
In selecting successful applicants, we prioritise applications from candidates who:
- will be enrolled full-time and undertaking their research at a La Trobe University campus
- have completed a Masters by research or other significant body of research, such as an Honours research thesis or lead authorship of a peer-reviewed publication, assessed at a La Trobe Masters by research standard of 75 or above
How to apply
Please do not use the apply now button
If you wish to apply for this scholarship,follow step 3 on our research application page - please ensure you submit a full application for scholarship and candidature.
Please note: As part of your application you are not required to identify a potential supervisor – Matthew Meredith-Williams is the designated supervisor for this project;
In your application, clearly indicate that you wish to be considered for the La Trobe University Industry Research Scholarship LXRP.
A research proposal is not required for this application.
- The University will carefully review your application and consider you for this scholarship.
- If you are shortlisted for the scholarship and candidature, you will be invited to an interview with representatives of La Trobe. Please note due to current COVID-19 restrictions provisions for virtual interviews will be made.
- The final decision will be made based on your application and interview. The successful candidate will be made an offer for candidature and scholarship.
- You will be advised of an outcome in February 2021. The project start date may be negotiable in view of current COVID-19 restrictions.
Who to contact for further information:
Dr Matthew Meredith-Williams, email@example.com
More searches like this
- Geology, Environmental, Earth & Marine Sciences Academic Posts jobs in Melbourne
- Geology, Environmental, Earth & Marine Sciences Studentships jobs in Melbourne
- Geology, Environmental, Earth & Marine Sciences Research Related jobs in Melbourne
- Geology, Environmental, Earth & Marine Sciences Other Research Related jobs in Melbourne