Postdoctoral Research Fellows and PhD Scholars, Automated Decision-Making and Society
The ARC Centre of Excellence for Automated Decision-Making and Society (ADM+S) is a new, cross-disciplinary, national research centre, which aims to aims to create the knowledge and strategies necessary for responsible, ethical, and inclusive automated decision-making. Funded by the Australian Research Council from 2020 to 2026, ADM+S is hosted at RMIT in Melbourne, Australia, with nodes in eight other Australian universities. The Centre brings together leading researchers in the humanities, social and technological sciences in an international industry, research and civil society network. Its priority domains for public engagement are news and media, transport, social services and health.
The rapid expansion of automated decision-making enabled by technologies from machine learning to the blockchain has great potential benefits, while it also creates serious new risks to human rights and welfare. Potential harms range from data discrimination against disadvantaged communities to the spread of disinformation for political and commercial ends. Increasing inequality, lower productivity and diminished economic security have been highlighted as risks in the coming decade.
We are now seeking Postdoctoral Research Fellows and PhD Scholars in the following areas:
- Digital communications
- Data Science
- Critical Data Studies
- Computer Science
- Regulatory Theory
The positions will collaborate actively with the Centre’s national and international network of participants and will be based at the following universities:
- RMIT University
- Queensland University of Technology
- The University of Melbourne
- Monash University
- Swinburne University of Technology
- The University of New South Wales
- The University of Sydney
- The University of Queensland
- Western Sydney University
Postdoctoral Research Fellows
All Research Fellows will have access to the Centre of Excellence’s research training and professional development opportunities, international visiting fellowships and exchanges (travel arrangements permitting), and the Centre’s network of industry partners.
Key responsibilities include:
- Conducting high-quality research relevant to specific research programs, both independently and as part of project teams
- Preparing and publishing research outcomes in relevant high-quality refereed journals, reports and/or books
- Presenting research outcomes at seminars, conferences and industry meetings, and engaging with external stakeholders
- Contributing to public understanding and debate through media, industry and/or policy engagement
- Contributing actively to the ARC Centre’s research culture, including participation in research collaboration and community-building within the Centre’s research programmes and focus areas
- Conforming to University and ARC Centre requirements with respect to research ethics and integrity and data management
- Compliance with health and safety policies, procedures, hazard reporting and safe work practices.
Interested and highly qualified candidates for the PhD Scholarships will be eligible to receive $28,092 per annum over 3 years in scholarship support, along with additional research funding support for activities. The exact details of thesis topics are expected to be developed by the interested candidate in close consultation with their supervisors.
How to apply and closing date
A broad range of Postdoctoral Research Fellowships and PhD Scholarships are on offer and will be advertised from now until December 2020. For further information including details of how to apply, please visit https://www.admscentre.org.au/jobs/