Senior Lecturer in Building Surveying
Senior Lecturer in Building Surveying
School of Engineering and the Built Environment
Location: Birmingham, England
Salary: £46,376 to £50,408 per annum
Closing Date: Sunday 15 November 2020
Interview Date: To be confirmed
Located in a modern £300m campus in the heart of Birmingham, at the City Centre Campus, the School of Engineering and the Built Environment is a thriving, vibrant, and inspiring learning community committed to excellence in research, high quality teaching and impactful industrial engagement. Building on continuous success in the growth in our academic portfolio alongside our sustained advancement in research activity, the School continues to be ambitious in its strategic vision and seeks talented individuals to join our team.
We invite applications to join our team in a dynamic, multidisciplinary environment. The role will involve delivery of our very well established Building Surveying programmes.
You will join a strong school wide team delivering successful, professionally accredited, undergraduate and postgraduate programmes in Building Surveying and Facilities Management, utilising well-equipped purpose built facilities. We work in a collaborative and cross disciplinary culture where interacting freely across the school and with colleagues in other schools is encouraged to gain a unique insight into impactful problem domains. We seek an individual capable of teaching and undertaking research aligned to the research activities of the school that cut across engineering and the built environment.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Providing an excellent student experience.
- Acting in accord with the University’s strategy, policy and procedures.
- Use appropriate learning, teaching, support and assessment methods.
- Teaching at undergraduate and postgraduate levels
- Setting and marking of assessments and providing constructive feedback and feedforward.
- Reflective practice as a method for improving performance.
- Participate in outreach activities to aid in recruitment.
- Pursuing research leading to high quality publications
- Contributing to curriculum development.
- Addressing the pastoral needs of students
- Participating in academic-related administration.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Recent industry or equivalent academic experience
- Applicants should have demonstrated excellent teaching in higher education or have presented regularly to technical audiences in an industry setting.
- Strong digital background with knowledge of relevant industrial standards, technical and software requirements.
- Strong building surveying or similar field, knowledge and some experience of the relevant professional bodies competencies (either RICS or CIOB).
- Potential to develop and sustain externally funded research work
- Ability to teach and supervise undergraduate and postgraduate students
- Demonstrate that research and innovation is informing and improving the curriculum and teaching methods
- Ability to build collaborative internal and external relationships
- Excellent communication skills and experience of successfully working as part of a team
- Subject expertise in the following:
- Building Surveying
- Building Pathology
- One or more of the competencies outlined by either/ or and RICS or CIOB.
- Strong project management background with knowledge of relevant industrial standards and technical requirements
- Track record of successful networking and community management
- Interest in cross disciplinary collaboration
- MRICS or MCIOB established membership
- Working practice/experience of Revit and BIM related software
How to Apply
Applicants should apply by completing their online application, uploading a full CV and a covering letter highlighting your motivation for working with BCU, your areas of expertise and ambitions. Candidates are advised to remove any personal information to ensure a fair and transparent process.
CLOSING DATE FOR ADVERT AND APPLICATIONS IS SUNDAY 15 NOVEMBER 2020