E-Resources and Metadata Specialist
- Full Time
E-Resources and Metadata Specialist
Brief about the role: S/he is responsible for daily operations of e-resource management systems and discovery tools, establishing and maintaining access to all e-book packages, electronic databases, electronic journals, print, and other media collections for the Library. This position also undertakes print cataloging including MARC record loading and print circulation management. . This position is an integral part of the Library's professional team and works closely with the Manager, Collection and Information Service.
- Organizes access for all library subscribed e-book packages, electronic databases, electronic journals, print and media collections, and other web-based resources.
- Catalogs and activates new electronic resources in the library's various knowledge bases (KOHA, Proquest 360, A-Z Database portal, and Summon Discovery Services, DSpace repository, etc) and performs required maintenance and updates of the collection.
- Resolves access problems for electronic resources and troubleshoots issues, off-campus access, vendor platforms, networks, and access breaches with vendors and KAUST IT.
- Tracks publisher, platform, and title changes; performs appropriate record maintenance and migrates subscribed titles and access links as appropriate.
- Administrator for the webscale discovery tool, the ERM system, publisher platform access, A-Z portals, KOHA circulation module, etc.
- Performs original cataloging, copy cataloging; edits catalog records of library materials to conform to professional standards, and to assure the accuracy of bibliographic description.
- Maintains documentation on processes and procedures for the management of electronic resources and cataloging in the Library including e-resource licensing and financial data in ERM System.
- Manages circulation of print materials, online/onsite reserve, and patron management systems.
- Supports initiatives related to digitization, special collections access, and other metadata-dependent efforts to describe, manage, expose, and share collections with users.
- Actively participate in related local and international partnerships with libraries, associations, and publishers.
- Work at info desk including evening shifts and other duties as assigned.
- Ability to learn on the job and to adapt to changing expectations and tools.
- Excellent customer service skills, as demonstrated in working with a diverse community in a public setting.
- Exceptional attention to detail and ability to create procedures and systems for optimal workflow.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively.
- Excellent written and spoken English.
- Experience from a multi-cultural work environment
- Bachelor's degree in Library Science with 3 years' relevant experience OR Bachelor Degree with sufficient combination of relevant library working experience.
- Experience in ERM tools, web-scale discovery, ILMS such as Koha, ProQuest 360, Summon, A-Z, and WorldCat etc.
- Demonstrable experience in resource description in a library environment and good knowledge of AACR2, LCC, LCSH, MARC, Dublin Core, BIBFRAME, etc.
- Additional knowledge of trends in ERM, non-library metadata, HTML, authority files, linked data, etc
About KAUST Library
The University Library is a digitally born library, where 99% of the collection is electronic, with a very limited print collection. The building is open 24x7 to the community and recipient of the best library architecture award from the American Institute of Architects and American Library Association. More about KAUST Library https://protect-eu.mimecast.com/s/qNWVCl7MOUqKNyh9U0cC?domain=library.kaust.edu.sa
Established in 2009, King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST) is a graduate-level research university located on the shores of the Red Sea, North of Jeddah.
With a mission to be a catalyst for innovation, economic development and social prosperity in both Saudi Arabia and around the world, KAUST is dedicated to advancing science and technology through interdisciplinary research, education and innovation.
Ranked # 1 in the World for Citations per Faculty in the QS World University Rankings, KAUST provides a learning environment integrated with research, and attracts top international faculty and students from across the globe all focused on finding solutions to problems in areas related to water, food, energy, and the environment. KAUST offers postgraduate degrees in 16 programs (M.S. and Ph.D.) Admission to KAUST is merit based and the language of instruction is English. KAUST welcomes an international community of more than 7,000 residents from over 100 https://protect-eu.mimecast.com/s/5KUKCmyMwhLYNZSB2Gls