Research Fellow, Monitoring Post-Disaster Recovery
The Asian School of the Environment (ASE) invites applications for the position of Research Fellow (Post-doc) within Prof. Lallemant’s research group.
The Research Fellow will join a dynamic, expanding research group that investigates the complex impact that natural hazards have on society (https://disaster-analytics.com/). In particular, the selected candidate will be the lead researcher in a project on monitoring post-disaster recovery.
The work will involve collecting and analyzing complex data on disaster recovery (including field-based and remote data), reviewing theoretical models and metrics of recovery and building statistical models to test them against empirical data, and sharing key findings to academic and practicing audiences.
- Analysis of current datasets, as well as collection of new datasets from recent disaster events
- Conception, design, prototype and implementation of solutions to collect and analyze complex data on disaster recovery
- Convening regular project discussion with international collaborators and stakeholders
- Manage field-data collection missions, with support of junior lab members
- Create and maintain code documentation, libraries and databases for the project.
- Mentor junior colleagues, as needed
- Communication of findings through academic publishing and communication with practitioners
- PhD degree in environmental sciences, engineering, policy or other related field
- Experience with statistical programming with R or Python
- Demonstrated experience working with complex data, including both qualitative and quantitative data
- Experience working or researching in post-disaster contexts a plus
- Knowledge of the international disaster recovery actors, frameworks and processes a plus
Key Competency Requirements
- Logical thinking and creative problem solving is essential
- Ability to examine data and results critically for potential errors and inconsistencies
- Self-driven, highly motivated, collaborative, with interest to work with other researchers and scientists (team player) to produce high-quality and impactful research
- Interest in the field of natural hazards and reducing their impacts on society
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
We regret to inform that only shortlisted candidates will be notified.
Hiring Institution: NTU