Group Creative Director
Category Communications and Public Relations
Full-Time / Part-Time Full-Time
The Princeton University Office of Communications is seeking a talented and driven group creative director to lead the internal design team as well as to help set creative vision for design, digital, social and multimedia projects within the office and across campus.
The candidate should inspire creative thought, encourage aesthetic exploration and deliver exceptional conceptual solutions in order to achieve institutional communications goals.
The candidate will develop content and design strategies that capture the diverse set of voices that make up Princeton University and connect with a diverse set of internal and external audiences.
- Oversee the design and development of wide range of visually compelling strategic communications projects and campaigns for both external and internal audiences. Lead meetings, strategic planning, preparation of creative briefs and creative presentations.
- Act as a design team lead by coordinating team activity and scheduling, matching team members talents to projects and managing time efficiently, prioritizing work assignments, monitoring progress, providing creative guidance/art direction; management duties include appraising design team members.
- Collaborate with our full staff of designers, writers, digital and social media strategists and multimedia producers to ensure consistently-branded, creatively-inspired and high-quality messaging across multiple channels (print, web, social, video, audio, experiential, etc.).
- Serve as a creative leader and ambassador for brand uniformity across all departments and academic units; operate as a brand expert and a major creative resource for the departments.
- Assign design duties including illustration, animation, photography, and interactive design to creative staff; supervise and art direct freelance illustrators and photographers. Recommend and work with outside firms and vendors as needed, with an emphasis on developing a diverse set of strategic external partners.
- Execute thoughtful, compelling, and creative communication solutions as project lead and/or designer on select high priority projects throughout the year.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent
- Ten years or more experience and extensive creative direction and management experience in advertising, publishing or marketing-related environment
- Keen eye for photography, videography and illustration and exceptional typography skills; great eye for detail
- Ability to translate design solutions across a variety of channels, including print publications and editorial, basic website/html/email design and content, social media, video/audio (e.g., podcasts), event and environmental graphics
- Proven experience working with, and promoting, a diverse set of voices and perspectives
- Ability to professionally give and receive feedback from both campus partners and team members; excellent communication skills a must
- Strong brand awareness and ability to serve as an effective brand champion; experience producing creative work.
- Bachelor’s degree in design or visual communications or equivalent experience
- Ten or more years of relevant work experience at a reputable brand, publisher, design consultancy or agency
- Experience working in a higher education or philanthropy setting
- High level of general computer and software proficiency, with extensive experience in Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Premiere)
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW