Construction and Project Safety Lead
Department PPPL ES&H
Category Environmental Safety and Health
Full-Time / Part-Time Full-Time
The Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory (PPPL) is a world-class fusion energy research laboratory managed by Princeton University for the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science. PPPL is dedicated to developing the scientific and technological knowledge base for fusion energy. The Laboratory advances the fields of fusion energy and plasma physics research to develop the scientific understanding and key innovations needed to realize fusion as an energy source for the world.
PPPL, operated by Princeton University for the Department of Energy (DOE), is seeking a results-driven Construction and Project Safety Division Head to lead the Lab’s ES&H support and assurance of construction and major projects. This position serves as a key member of the ES&H leadership team and is a leading stakeholder and collaborator with the Project Management Office (PMO), Facilities and the research and development community.
The ideal candidate would be equipped to create a vision and lead PPPL’s construction and project safety program to support the Laboratory mission and enable exemplary safety performance aligned with the Laboratory`s strategic and project plans. This role will establish and lead a highly-visible construction and project safety integrated program of best practices, certifications, standards, guidance, and procedures. This critical role is responsible for providing leadership, technical direction, strategic oversight, and policy development that enables project and construction line management to maintain a safe workplace, promotes safety as an institutional core value, and ensures that scientific and technical research activities are primed to be conducted in compliance with applicable policies and regulations. It is expected to enable and foster a proactive and integrated safety culture that promotes a sense of urgency based on safety observations, assessments, open line feedback, risk reviews, trend analysis, root cause analysis, metrics and data to mitigate risk and identify hazards.
Reporting to the ES&H Director, the Construction and Project Safety Division Head will also actively support Lab-wide initiatives, responsible for assuring the implementation of the Lab’s safety and security across the Lab while promoting PPPL’s values of diversity, equity and inclusion. The Construction and Project Safety Division Head shall act a as a strategic partner to enable and assist Project and construction line management in full implementation of ES&H programs.
This is an exciting opportunity to join a dynamic, world-renowned research institution and further its work to strengthen our ES&H construction and project safety programs and expertise, develop innovative and efficient solutions to foster line management stewardship of ES&H, and promote a healthy work and safety culture for PPPL
- Lead, direct, and oversee all construction and project safety activities, including assurance of flow-down and full implementation of ESH requirements to subcontractors, and ensure implementation of Waste Management, Radiation Protection, Environmental Services, Industrial Hygiene, Occupational Safety, and Health Services functions as part of Project and Construction activities, in order to maintain a safe and healthy environment for Laboratory employees, guests and visitors in support of the scientific mission of the Laboratory.
- Contribute as a member of the laboratory ES&H team providing leadership, guidance and support to operational initiatives. Advise ES&H management on latest developments in all areas of responsibility, and on actions and progress toward meeting the goals and objectives in those areas.
- Lead by example to pro-actively promote principles of stewardship, safety, inclusion, diversity, equity and accountability.
- Conduct ongoing long-range planning to identify and implement new programs and policies to ensure compliance with changing governmental guidelines and regulations, achieve performance goals, and pursue best management practices.
- Develop and implement the Division’s short- and long-term strategic operating business plans, management system, policy, procedures, and practices.
- In partnership with ES&H leadership, champion a meaningful safety culture and in implementing that vision throughout the organization.
- Develop and implement policies and procedures that ensure effective administration of safety programs.
- Pro-actively build partnership relationships with all levels of the Laboratory community, including effective collaboration with Department of Energy (DOE), external regulatory agencies, the general public, other National Laboratories, and Princeton University, to deliver quality and excellence in customer service.
- Provide leadership and direction to fulfill the ES&H Division’s continuous process improvement program, including measurement systems, benchmarking, and surveys.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelors’ degree and 10 years of progressive experience in a related ES&H discipline or engineering field, and/or equivalent experience and education required. Advanced degree in a related field, preferred.
- A minimum of 3 years in an operational management role in a project, construction or research environment, preferably an ES&H or scientific organization.
- Demonstrated experience leading providing effective oversight and guidance of operational, people management and administrative matters.
- Experience hiring, developing, mentoring and coaching staff for high performance.
- Demonstrated record of integrating ES&H concepts and best practices into strategic business plans, and ability to lead and manage diverse ES&H disciplines.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills to effectively influence, negotiate, advise, translate and present to senior technical and administrative managers.
- Superior interpersonal skills to effectively build/maintain relationships with key internal and external stakeholders, including regulatory agencies, and the ability to collaborate at the highest level of management.
- Experience in implementing and improving enterprise-wide policies and programs where there are competing interests and goals of multiple constituencies. Additional experience with radiological protection is preferred.
- Experience and knowledge of the DOE ES&H regulatory environment is strongly preferred.
- Previous DOE experience and DOE 413.3b project experience highly desired
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Board certification in a related professional discipline (e.g., CIH, CSP, CHP, PE).
- Experience managing within a Federal contractor, government owned/contractor operated (GOCO) organization, and/or a union environment.
- Experience working within DOE programs related to safety, security and emergency response.
- Leadership and management skills necessary to define and implement the Laboratory’s ES&H program and services.
- Skill in building and sustaining consensus and collaboration among key stakeholders.
- Ability to drive change, including cultural impact.
- Ability to lead multidisciplinary personnel, including the ability to develop strategies to attract, develop and retain a high-performing diverse staff.
- Ability to conceptualize, launch and deliver safely projects on time and within budget.
- Ability to leverage project management and utilize metrics and analysis to deliver results.
- Organizational skills and ability to manage central resources to drive excellence.
- Skills in communicating issues with management in order to devise responsive, efficient solutions to program-critical tasks, including demonstrated ability to present complex issues in clear, concise terms.
- Oral and written communication skills and the ability to work within regulatory guidelines, with internal and external contacts of varying level of expertise and authority, and to achieve assigned goals to the benefit of the organization and the Laboratory.
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
Please be aware that the Department of Energy (DOE) prohibits DOE employees and contractors from participation in certain foreign government talent recruitment programs. All PPPL employees are required to disclose any participation in a foreign government talent recruitment program and may be required to withdraw from such programs to remain employed under the DOE Contract.