Teaching Support Services Coordinator
DEPARTMENT FOR EDUCATION INNOVATION
PEROMNES POST LEVEL 7
In pursuit of the ideals of excellence and diversity, the University of Pretoria wishes to invite applications for the following vacancy.
The University of Pretoria's commitment to quality makes us one of the top research Universities in the country and gives us a competitive advantage in international science and technology development.
The incumbent will be responsible for:
- Management and oversight of the various funded teaching support staff programmes institutionally.
- Provision of operational planning and management of teaching support staff evaluations of all faculties in consultation with the Departmental Tutor Coordinators and/or Heads of Departments (HoDs).
- Financial management and reporting of institutional teaching support programmes’ funding.
- Conducting research on and monitoring the teaching support staff programmes and their impact on the academic development and progress of students.
- Reporting on the development and impact of the teaching support staff programmes within the institution and the University Capacity Development Programme (UCDP).
- Planning, monitoring and coordinating the training of teaching support staff within faculties in collaboration with other relevant stakeholders.
- Initiating and maintaining close collaboration with relevant stakeholders involved in teaching and learning innovation, such as e-learning, quality assurance and assessment, to foster continuous improvement of the teaching assistance programmes offered at UP.
- A Master’s degree in Social Sciences/Education or relevant field of study or equivalent qualification with three years’ relevant working experience;
- Project management experience in a Higher Education setting;
- Research experience in a tertiary education environment;
- Experience in the management of projects within a multidisciplinary team approach;
- Experience with operating within a learning management system and using of audience response systems and online surveys;
- Knowledge and experience with regard to the coordination of innovative teaching support programmes geared towards enhancing quality in face-to-face and online teaching and learning environments.
REQUIRED COMPETENCIES (SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND BEHAVIOURAL ATTRIBUTES):
- Understanding of academic student support and the South African higher education context;
- Proficiency in MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint: in order to be able to write reports and develop PowerPoint presentations;
- Experience in the management and maintenance of research databases;
- Ability to interact with staff in various positions in a way that will further collaboration in the development of teaching support systems;
- Assertiveness, results-orientated and able to work independently;
- The ability to identify training and educational needs of teaching support staff;
- Self-starter who can work under pressure and handle a variety of tasks or projects simultaneously;
- Supportive towards colleagues, academic staff and students;
- High level of computer literacy;
- Appropriate language and communication skills.
ADDED ADVANTAGES AND PREFERENCES:
- PhD in Social Sciences or Education
- Proficiency in the use of data visualisation tools (e.g. Tableau, Pyramid analytics)
- Experience in working with Blackboard (LMS) and clickers
PLEASE NOTE: All shortlisted candidates may be required to participate in relevant skills assessments as part of the selection process.
The annual remuneration package will be commensurate with the incumbent’s level of appointment, as determined by UP policy guidelines. UP subscribes to the BESTMED and UMVUZO medical aid schemes and contributes 50% of the applicable monthly premium.
Applicants are requested to apply online at www.up.ac.za, and follow the link: Careers@UP.
In applying for this post, please attach:
- A comprehensive CV;
- Names, e-mail addresses and telephone details of three referees whom we have permission to contact.
CLOSING DATE: 21 OCTOBER 2020
No application will be considered after the closing date, or if it does not comply with at least the minimum requirements.
ENQUIRIES: Ms Khensani Mathebula, Tel: (012) 420 2417 for application-related enquiries, and Dr Kgadi Mathabathe, Tel: (012) 420 3323 for enquiries relating to the post content.
Should you not hear from the University of Pretoria by 31 December 2020, please accept that your application has been unsuccessful.
The University of Pretoria is committed to equality, employment equity and diversity.
In accordance with the Employment Equity Plan of the University and its Employment Equity goals and targets, preference may be given, but is not limited to candidates from under-represented designated groups.
All candidates who comply with the requirements for appointment are invited to apply. All candidates agree to undergo verification of personal credentials.
The University of Pretoria reserves the right to not fill the advertised positions.