Stanford’s Department of Athletics, Physical Education and Recreation:
Stanford’s Department of Athletics, Physical Education and Recreation (“DAPER”) is the premier intercollegiate athletics program in the country. We are the proud Home of Champions! We lead the nation with 123 NCAA championship titles, completed an unprecedented sweep of both the men’s and women’s Capital One Cups, and have brought home the Learfield Director’s Cup for 25 straight years. We support nearly 900 student-athletes who compete on 36 intercollegiate athletics teams and also support the university’s physical education, recreation and wellness initiatives. Our dedicated staff embody a culture of excellence, embrace our mission of scholar-athleticism and exemplify a relentless championship spirit. Our actions and staff are guided by the core tenets of the Athletics Department culture, “The DAPER Way,” which are: Embrace Scholar-Athleticism, Pursue and Revere Excellence, Lead with Courage and Work Cohesively.
Are you ready to inspire champions? If yes, then this may be the right opportunity for you!
Greenskeepers perform a variety of duties requiring skill and experience in golf course maintenance. Greenskeepers follow work schedules and instructions prepared by a supervisor. Work is generally done outdoors under variable environmental conditions (darkness, weather, etc.). Work schedules include some weekend work.
Responsibilities in this role include:
- Operation and care of standard transmission vehicles and tractors.
- Operation and care of a variety of tools and equipment for mowing, spraying, moving earth, etc. Perform proper measurement/application.
- Adhere to shop safety and security rules.
- Sets cups, locates tee markers, maintains sand traps bunkers, waters greens and fairways, repairs course damage.
- Check condition of golf course and spotting unusual turf or course conditions to a supervisor.
- Perform a variety of general buildings and grounds maintenance duties including, but not limited to, painting, lighting, minor indoor plumbing, clean and repair sprinkler heads, locate and assist with repair of breaks in water mains, sharpen tools such as mower blades, trim trees and shrubs and minor golf course repairs, maintenance of golf course equipment, such as tractors, utility vehicles and mowers.
- Perform grounds duties including hand digging, trenching, sodding, walk mowing, brush chipping, hauling and clean-up work.
- Completion of required job training and related education
To be successful in this role, you will bring:
- One year of experience working in a golf course and/or landscape maintenance or combination of equivalent education and work experience. Commercial grounds keeping experience is highly desirable.
- A valid California Non-commercial Class C Driver’s License required. Ability to obtain and maintain a California Non-commercial class.
- Ability to work outdoors, in varying weather conditions.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team. Ability to follow job-related instructions.
- Ability to operate non-mobile and/or mobile power equipment such as tractors with a variety of attachments. Includes standard transmission vehicles.
- Ability to recognize unnatural or unhealthy appearance of plants.
- Ability to use hand tools, and to perform a variety of repairs.
- Ability to work safely in accordance with all safety practices and procedures.
- A CA Qualified Applicator Certificate for pesticide application (desirable.)
- Ability to lift bags of up to 60 lbs.
- Must have the aerobic capacity to run a brush chipper, walk mow the greens and walk distances of up to five miles a day.
- Must be able to operate various grounds maintenance machines such as a blower and aerator.
- Frequently stand/walk, twist/bend/stoop/squat, grasp forcefully and lift/carry/push/pull objects up to 10 pounds.
- Occasionally reach/work above shoulders, light/fine grasping and lift/carry/push/pull objects up to 40 pounds.
- Rarely kneels/crawl, climb and lift/carry/push/pull objects greater than 40 pounds.
- May be required to work overtime, early mornings, evenings and weekends, including holidays, sometimes in inclement weather conditions.
- Required to wear appropriate Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
- Required to wear appropriate uniforms.
- May be exposed to allergens such as dust and pollens and chemicals such as oil, lubricants, pesticides, fertilizers and paint.
- May be exposed to noises greater than 80db.
- May be required to work at heights greater than 4-10 feet.
This position, along with all DAPER coaches and staff, is responsible for the integrity of Stanford’s intercollegiate athletics program and for the reputation of Stanford University. This position is responsible for assuring that his/her involvement with Athletics Department activities maintains the integrity of the University’s reputation and does not negatively impact the relationship between the University and its faculty, staff, students and alumni. Additionally, this position must comply with University policies and procedures, NCAA and Pac-12 rules and regulations.
Why Stanford is for you:
Stanford University has revolutionized the way we live and enrich the world. Supporting this mission is our diverse and dedicated 17,000 staff. We seek talent driven to impact the future of our legacy. Our culture and unique perks empower you with:
- Freedom to grow. We offer career development programs, tuition reimbursement, or audit a course. Join a TedTalk, film screening, or listen to a renowned author or global leader speak.
- A caring culture. We provide superb retirement plans, generous time-off, and family care resources.
- A healthier you. Climb our rock wall or choose from hundreds of health or fitness classes at our world-class exercise facilities. We also provide excellent health care benefits.
- Discovery and fun. Stroll through historic sculptures, trails, and museums.
- Enviable resources. Enjoy free commuter programs, ridesharing incentives, discounts and more!
* The job duties listed are typical examples of work performed by positions in this job classification and are not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Specific duties and responsibilities may vary depending on department or program needs without changing the general nature and scope of the job or level of responsibility. Employees may also perform other duties as assigned.
*Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
*Stanford is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
- Schedule: Full-time
- Job Code: 8020
- Employee Status: Regular
- Grade: A18
- Requisition ID: 87375