Assistant Professor in International Studies
Assistant Professor in International Studies (1759)
School: School of Humanities and Social Sciences
Department: Department of International Studies
Position Title : Assistant Professor in International Studies
Academic Discipline: International Relations
Vacant Number: 2
Location: Suzhou Campus
Salary: 27,929 – 30,279RMB/month (with the opportunity to go to 34,219RMB/month based on future annual performance and evaluations after being in post).
Advertisement Closing Date: November 9th 2020.
The Department of International Studies (formerly the Department of International Relations) was established in 2017 and sits within the newly established School of Humanities and Social Sciences. In Academic Year 2020-2021 the Department will celebrate the graduation of its first cohort of Bachelor of International Relations students. The department currently consists of 9 faculty and expects to grow to 14 in the coming year. This year, the Department launched two new Master of Arts, one in International Relations and one in International Business and Global Affairs. It is anticipated that the Department will also offer a Bachelor of Global Studies in Academic Year 2021-2022. The Department aspires in the next five years to be recognised as a leader in both teaching and research in its respective discipline areas and will provide policy and other service to a range of stake holders. Should you be successful in your application you will be joining a department of diverse nationalities and backgrounds with active research profiles. We especially invite female candidates and those able to join the department for Semester 2, 2021, commencing in February 2021 or shortly after.
Roles & Responsibilities:
The successful applicant will research in any area of International Relations. They will be required to teach in at least two of the following areas:
- theories of international relations
- research methods in international relations
- international law and organization.
We welcome applications from candidates with research interests in the following areas (though not exclusively)
- US foreign policy
- Gender and international relations
- Foreign Policy Analysis.
The successful applicant will be expected to coordinate and deliver modules across our degree programmes; to supervise undergraduate Final Year Projects and MA and PhD dissertations ; to contribute to curriculum development; to undertake research in their area of specialisation on both individual and group projects, and to be actively engaged in the publication of the research; and to participate in the administration and development of the Department of International Studies, the School of Humanities and Social Sciences, or the University.
The main duties and responsibilities of the post holder are as follows:
- To teach at undergraduate and graduate level in areas allocated by the Head of Department and reviewed from time to time by the Head of Department.
- To carry out research and produce publications, or other research outputs, in line with personal objectives agreed in the Professional Development Review (PDR) process.
- To obtain research funding support.
- To engage with the broader scholarly and professional communities.
- To supervise or assist with supervision of undergraduate, taught graduate (Masters) or research graduate (PhD) students.
- To contribute to the design, development, planning and implementation of a high quality curriculum.
- To assist in the design, development of learning materials, preparing schemes of work and maintaining records to monitor student progress, achievement and attendance.
- To participate in departmental and School seminars aimed at sharing research outcomes and building interdisciplinary collaboration within and outside the department.
- To participate in the design, development, administration and marking of exams and other assessments.
- To provide pastoral care and support to students.
- To participate in the administration of the department’s programmes of study and other activities as requested.
- To contribute to departmental, School, or University-wide working groups or committees as requested.
- To maintain own continuing professional development.
- To actively follow and promote XJTLU policies.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and strong interpersonal skills;
- Evidence of departmental citizenship and teamwork or an expression of willingness to take on administration tasks.
- PhD in a relevant subject area;
- A strong knowledge of the subject area combined with a broad subject background enabling contributions to teaching programmes;
- Evidence of ability to teach and design modules at undergraduate and postgraduate level in areas offered by the department. Candidates are advised to look at the department website and view modules we offer.
- Evidence of success working in a multicultural classroom and the ability to design teaching that responds to diverse needs.
- Proven record of ability to conduct good quality research in the advertised fields which is reflected in the authorship of high-quality publications, or other research outputs, relative to opportunity;
- Evidence of a clear research, funding and publication strategy;
- Ability to communicate in Chinese;
- Capacity to lead on the use of social media;
- Professional experience in governmental or non-governmental organizations.
Members of Academic Staff receive generous subsidies for accommodation, travel, children’s education, and medical insurance. A relocation allowance is provided. Non-Chinese passport holders may qualify for multi-year income tax “holidays”, depending on nationality and tax residency.
Citizenship and Visa Regulations:
Employment at Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University is regulated by Chinese Labour Laws, and must comply with the regulations of the provincial government. These regulations stipulate who is eligible for legal employment with regard to obtaining work permits and visas. Please be advised candidates over 65 may be not eligible for a work visa in the P.R. China.
Please submit your application Online Via https://career15.sapsf.cn/sfcareer/jobreqcareer?jobId=1759&company=xjtlu . Applications must be submitted in a single pdf file that includes four parts in the order of:
- A cover letter
- A 3-4 page discussion addressing selection criteria,
- A current CV, including date of birth, country of citizenship, and highest degree level
- Contact details of three referees.
Informal enquiries may be addressed to the HR Recruiting Team at Xinyun.Yang@xjtlu.edu.cn. Please quote the position and job ID in your enquiry.