Reporting to the Operations Manager, this position serves as the Senior Administrative Assistant supporting the Chair and the department of Physics. Provides comprehensive, high level support to the Chair, as the Chair’s Assistant, the departmental faculty and the search/promotion/tenure and appointment process. Serves as the principal source of information regarding policies and procedures related to faculty appointments. Ensures timely reviews for reappointments and promotions by establishing reasonable schedules. Reviews promotion materials to ensure compliance. Coordinates the electronic and secure distribution of appointment and promotion documents to appropriate committee members. Assists in responding to, screening, and triaging requests and assists resolving or triaging questions regarding faculty searches for applicants and reference letter writers. Reviews information gathered for faculty searches by the search committee.
Processes additional appointments as needed. Serves as Physics liaison to cultivate relationships and builds networks with faculty and staff in other Yale departments, other universities, institutions and alumni. Responsible for processing supplier setup, expense reimbursements, supplier invoice requests Yale forms, policies and procedures. Coordinate detailed and complex travel, both domestic and international. Schedule and coordinate logistics with respect to events planning, including researching and pricing venues, venue selection, set-up, advertising, catering, technical support, identifying and anticipating all needs and accommodations for meetings, events, conferences, seminars and other faculty and departmental events as required. Strong working knowledge of Yale domestic and international travel policies and procedures including ACH and wire transfers. Prepare and distribute materials for meetings as well as taking minutes as needed. Actively updates and oversees the department website and digital e-board with fresh designs and content changes and assists with communication to the department and beyond. Work with the technical team to troubleshoot any website/e-board problems, update website format and accessibility compliance. Ensure facilities and office machines are maintained as needed. Respond to requests for information and provide assistance. Schedule and coordinate meetings and appointments. Draft letters for the chair and proofread documents in the chairs’ office. Perform additional duties incidental to office activities as necessary to maintain highest level of customer service.
- Oversees and coordinates administrative, program, and office activities. Establishes, selects, implements, and coordinates office procedures and systems. Serves as principal source of information to students, staff, and faculty on policies, procedures, programs, and office activities.
- Oversees, instructs, and coordinates activities of support staff. Oversees the preparation of materials for grants, contracts and budgets. Monitors expenditures and reconciles financial statements.
- Provides editorial support for a journal/publication. Proofreads and edits material for grammatical and factual accuracy. Tracks copy through various editing and production stages. Communicates with authors, printers, and others concerned with published work.
- Determines administrative, facility, and equipment needs for symposia, lectures, seminars, and conferences. Assembles and arranges for necessary items. Determines sources of data. Compiles, synthesizes and manipulates data. Summarizes findings and writes reports or portions of reports.
- Greets visitors. Answers and screens telephone calls. Assesses nature of business. Responds to requests for information and provides assistance. Screens and responds to mail.
- Formats, keyboard, proofread, and edits correspondence, reports, manuscripts, grants, and other material. Assembles attachments and corresponding material. Reviews outgoing material for completeness, dates, and signatures. Composes substantive correspondence and written material.
- Coordinates travel arrangements. Schedules and coordinates meetings and appointments. Orders and maintains inventory of supplies. Takes minutes or dictation. Performs additional functions incidental to office activities.
Required Education and Experience
Six years of related work experience, four of them in the same job family at the next lower level, and high school level education; or four years of related work experience and an Associate's degree; or little or no work experience and a Bachelor's degree in a related field; or an equivalent combination of experience and education.
Required Skill/Ability 1:
Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills. Self-motivated, with the ability to take initiative, problem solve and exercise independent judgement. Ability to exercise discretion and maintain strict confidentiality and diplomacy in handling sensitive materials.
Required Skill/Ability 2:
Demonstrated ability providing administrative support to faculty and/or academic departments. Proven ability to schedule and coordinate logistics for meetings, events and seminars including venue selection and setup, catering, travel and accommodations. Demonstrated ability with financial transactions, such as processing expense reimbursements and invoices.
Required Skill/Ability 3:
Demonstrated intermediate proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook, as well as the ability and willingness to learn new technology and systems.
Required Skill/Ability 4:
Excellent organizational skills, and the ability to maintain accurate records. Demonstrated ability to multitask, prioritize, and work effectively with conflicting or competing deadlines. Excellent customer service skills and the ability to interact well with a diverse population. Demonstrated ability to work independently and flexibly as part of a team.
Required Skill/Ability 5:
Excellent attendance record, punctuality and reliability. Strong self-starter, who is adaptable, resourceful, well spoken, has a strong work ethic and a professional demeanor.
Preferred Education, Experience and Skills:
Working knowledge of Drupal. Experience with faculty searches, appointments and promotions including Interfolio. Experience with Workday HCM, Finances, Procurement, university academic and financial policies, event planning/coordination, IT Service Portal and Egencia.
Weekend Hours Required?
Evening Hours Required?
Background Check Requirements
All candidates for employment will be subject to pre-employment background screening for this position, which may include motor vehicle, DOT certification, drug testing and credit checks based on the position description and job requirements. All offers are contingent upon the successful completion of the background check. Please visit www.yale.edu/hronline/careers/screening/faqs.html for additional information on the background check requirements and process.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the essential functions that will be required of the position and should not be construed as a declaration of specific duties and responsibilities of the particular position. Employees will be assigned specific job-related duties through their hiring departments.
Affirmative Action Statement:
Yale University considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, an individual’s sex, race, color, religion, age, disability, status as a veteran, or national or ethnic origin; nor does Yale discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity or expression. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 protects people from sex discrimination in educational programs and activities at institutions that receive federal financial assistance. Questions regarding Title IX may be referred to the University’s Title IX Coordinator, at TitleIX@yale.edu, or to the U.S. Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights, 8th Floor, Five Post Office Square, Boston MA 02109-3921. Telephone: 617.289.0111, Fax: 617.289.0150, TDD: 800.877.8339, or Email: email@example.com.
Yale University is a tobacco-free campus