Life Science Research Professional
Job Code: 4945
Job Grade: E
FTE: 100%, Non-exempt, 1 year fixed term
Department of Bioengineering, School of Engineering and School of Medicine
Department of Bioengineering
Stanford Bioengineering is a dynamic and rapidly growing department within the Stanford Schools of Engineering and Medicine. For more than a decade, the Department of Bioengineering has sought to advance bioengineering as a fundamental engineering discipline grounded in basic sciences, powered by a unique set of engineering concepts and principles, and capable of realizing many diverse applications. Our community ranges broadly, consisting of esteemed alumni, world class faculty and students, dynamic staff and administrators and include some of the world's most successful leaders in bioengineering technology and business In realizing our mission, our staff are critical to supporting our organization’s goals and enabling Stanford faculty and students to accomplish its mission conducting cutting-edge research with the objective of formulating innovative solutions to global challenges through the field of bioengineering.
The Fischbach Lab at Stanford University is seeking a highly motivated scientist for a role in our ambitious new effort to build the microbiome from scratch. We are looking for a candidate with good hands, strong organizational skills, and the ability to attain a high degree of independence in a fast-paced and dynamic research environment. In this role, which will be at the level of Life Science Research Professional, you will be responsible for constructing highly complex bacterial communities using state-of-the-art microbiology and genetic techniques. You will be working as part of a new microbiome initiative at Stanford involving multiple laboratories from the Schools of Medicine and Engineering.
Your responsibilities include:
- Plan approach to experiments in support of research projects in lab and/or field based on knowledge of scientific theory.
- Independently conduct experiments; maintain detailed records of experiments and outcomes.
- Apply the theories and methods of a life science discipline to interpret and perform analyses of experiment results; offer suggestions regarding modifications to procedures and protocols in collaboration with senior researcher.
- Review literature on an ongoing basis to remain current with new procedures and apply learnings to related research.
- Contribute to publication of findings as needed. Participate in the preparation of written documents, including procedures, presentations, and proposals.
- Help with general lab maintenance as needed; maintain lab stock, manage chemical inventory and safety records, and provide general lab support as needed.
- Help orient and train new staff or students.
- Flexibility with other tasks as assigned.
To be successful in this role, you will bring:
- Bachelor’s degree in related scientific field.
- Analysis of mass spec and metagenomic sequencing data.
- Understanding principals of anaerobic bacterial culture techniques for the enrichment of rare taxa.
- Demonstrate aptitude in foresight, planning, and ability to organize as required by research.
- General understanding of scientific principles.
- General computer skills and ability to quickly learn and master computer programs, databases, and scientific applications.
- Ability to work under deadlines with general guidance.
- Excellent organizational skills and demonstrated ability to accurately complete detailed work.
Why Stanford is for You
Imagine a world without search engines or social platforms. Consider lives saved through first-ever organ transplants and research to cure illnesses. Stanford University has revolutionized the way we live and enrich the world. Supporting this mission is our diverse and dedicated 17,000 staff. We seek talent driven to impact the future of our legacy.
Ourculture and unique perks empower you with:
- Freedom to grow. We offer career development programs, tuition reimbursement, or audit a course. Join a TedTalk, film screening, or listen to a renowned author or global leader speak.
- A caring culture. We provide superb retirement plans, generous time-off, and family care resources.
- A healthier you. Climb our rock wall, or choose from hundreds of health or fitness classes at our world-class exercise facilities. We also provide excellent health care benefits.
- Discovery and fun. Stroll through historic sculptures, trails, and museums.
- Enviable resources. Enjoy free commuter programs, ridesharing incentives, discounts and more!
How to Apply
We invite you to apply for this position by clicking on the “Apply for Job” button. To be considered, please submit a cover letter and résumé along with your online application. Your one-page cover letter should briefly describe your background in customer service and provide examples of your experience with attention to detail, responsiveness, and decision-making.
- Schedule: Full-time
- Job Code: 4945
- Employee Status: Fixed-Term
- Grade: E
- Requisition ID: 83004