Research Fellow, Composite Materials and Structures
2 days left
- Full Time
- Full-time, 2.5-years fixed-term contract; based at RMIT Bundoora campus but may be required to work and/or based at other campuses of the University
- Join a vibrant research team partnering across RMIT in conducting high-impact research in composite materials and structures producing high-quality deliverables to the defense and other external partners
- Utilise your research experience and expertise as well as your project management skills in conducting computational and experimental research into fibre-reinforced composites into several topics, including Additive Manufacturing and Novel Joining Technologies
- Report to Associate Dean, Aerospace and Aviation Engineering
- Remuneration at Academic Level B ($98,495 - $116,965) + 17% superannuation
RMIT is a multi-sector university of technology, design and enterprise with more than 91,000 students and 11,000 staff globally. RMIT offers postgraduate, undergraduate, vocational education and online programs to provide students with a variety of work-relevant pathways.
Our purpose is to offer life-changing experiences for our students, and to help shape the world with research, innovation, teaching and industry engagement. With strong industry connections forged over 130 years, collaboration with industry remains integral to RMITs leadership in education, applied and innovative research, and to the development of highly skilled, globally focused graduates.
Our Values inspire us, wherever we are in the world, and guide how we live and work together.
Imagination. Agility. Courage. Passion. Impact. Inclusion.
What unites us is our purpose and our values; they are at the heart of who we are, what we stand for, how we make decisions and connect with each other.
Our people make everything at the University possible. We encourage new approaches to work and learning, stimulating change to drive positive impact. RMIT exists to create transformative experiences for our students, getting them ready for life and work. You will be a part of a productive and collaborative team, who values working relationships and outcomes through open and inclusive planning, continuous information sharing and transparent work practices.
About the College
The College comprises three Schools delivering a broad range of programs in science, engineering, health and technology at higher education certificate, bachelor, masters and PhD levels. There is a vibrant research community attracting funding from a range of government and industry sources. The College has an annual income of approximately $500 million (with over $50 million in external research income p/a) and employs around 1,400 staff providing on and offshore programs to approximately 30,000 students (including 1,200 PhD students).
The School of Engineering comprises a diverse range of disciplines: Aerospace Engineering & Aviation; Chemical & Environmental Engineering; Civil & Infrastructure Engineering; Electrical & Biomedical Engineering; Electronic & Telecommunication Engineering; Manufacturing, Materials & Mechatronic Engineering; Mechanical & Automotive Engineering.
As a top 100 university in the world for engineering (2015 QS Rankings by Faculty; Engineering and Technology), RMIT Engineering provides students with work-relevant education programs, access to excellent research facilities and opportunities to engage in creative real-world project work through robust relations with local and international industry leaders.
About You & the Role
- Conduct computational and experimental research into fibre-reinforced composites into several topics, including Addictive Manufacturing and Novel Joining Technologies
- Collaborate with multidisciplinary researchers such as defense, industry and other research organisations in delivering high quality research performance and enhancing reputation of the School through
- Proven ability to generate competitive research funding, fellowships, and awards
- Proactively participate in various activities of the Multifunctional Composites Research Team yielding promising outcomes which includes publications of competitive journal and research outputs in meeting project objectives
- Contribute your 10% of your time to mentor, train & supervise undergraduate and postgraduate Higher Degree by Research students as part of your coursework teaching activities
You will have:
- Proven working knowledge and expertise in composite materials and/or composite structures
- Strong capabilities in Finite Element software such as Abaqus and with sound expertise in the manufacturing and testing of composites are essential
- Emerging track record in producing and delivery high quality research outputs in Scopus-indexed journals in a research field related to this project as well as capacity to present research findings, concepts and knowledge with sound problem-solving and analytical skills
- Evidence of preparing and producing competitive research grant proposals
- Ability to manage and plan time effectively and efficiently to conduct innovative research independently and collaboratively across multi-disciplinary team, industry and government
- Possesses an excellent written and verbal communication skills with the passion and commitment to build strong relationships across all levels of professional staff within the organization
- Ability to supervise and mentor graduate and undergraduate students
Mandatory: PhD qualified or submitted thesis in the Aerospace, Mechanical or Manufacturing Engineering or in a closely related subject will be considered.
Preferred: Completion of the Essentials in Tertiary Teaching Practice program or equivalent (if the appointed candidate does not meet this requirement at time of appointment, they will be supported to complete this as a requirement to fulfil their probation).
Note: Appointment to this position is subject to passing a Working with Children check.
Bring your whole self to work
We are better for our diversity. When we listen to those who are different to us, or challenge us, we grow stronger together. When we feel like we belong, we can achieve so much more. We respect each other, embrace our differences and build a sense of belonging in our team and beyond.
We are proud that our dedication to diversity has been recognized by a broad spectrum of external organizations. Visit our Linkedin Life pages to learn more and see some of our most recent wins.
Please submit your updated resume and cover letter outlining your experience & achievements by clicking on the 'Apply now link. Please note that a separate response to Key Selection Criteria as stated on the Position Description is required. For any enquiries regarding this role, Dist. Professor Adrian Mouritz (Adrian.firstname.lastname@example.org)
We are also happy to make adjustments to the recruitment process for your accessibility requirements. Please contact us via your preferred type of communication: email TalentSupport@rmit.edu.au or call Kassie on +61399252442 with your request(s).
Applications close Monday 2nd November 2020.
RMIT is an equal opportunity employer committed to being a child safe organisation. We are dedicated to attracting, retaining and developing our people regardless of gender identity, ethnicity, sexual orientation, disability and age. Applications are encouraged from all sectors of the community and we strongly encourage applications from the Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander community.
Please note that whilst we still accept applications from any persons interested in our roles, due to the impacts of COVID-19, we are currently prioritising applications from those with current working rights in Australia and who are not affected by travel restrictions. Please see the latest updates to Australias immigration and border arrangements during the COVID-19 (Coronavirus) outbreak: https://covid19.homeaffairs.gov.au/