Professorship in Corporate Governance and Ownership
Professorship in Corporate Governance and Ownership
Copenhagen Business School invites applications for a Professorship in corporate governance and long-term ownership at the Center for Corporate Governance (CCG), which is an independent cross-disciplinary research center under the Department of Accounting.
CCG is one of the leading corporate governance centers in Europe. Our research and teaching activities focus on ownership structures (including industrial foundations, mutuals and owner-managed businesses), board work (including board structure and board leadership), and GRC (Governance, Risk and Compliance).
Corporate governance is defined as “the system by which companies are directed and controlled” including regulation, ownership, boards and incentives. Controlling shareholders obviously play an important role in this system, and they can be a force for value creation and social welfare if they exercise stewardship (responsible long-term ownership).
The new professor is intended to contribute to the center’s ongoing research in industrial foundations (foundations that own companies, see www.tifp.dk) as well as other long-term ownership structures like family business, state-ownership or mutual/cooperatives. Previous research publication in industrial foundations is not required, but we seek a candidate with a solid academic track record (including A-level publications) and enthusiasm for research leadership, teamwork and new high-level publications at the research frontier of corporate governance. Willingness to engage in business cooperation, fundraising and dissemination is an important secondary qualification.
The professor will undertake research and teaching at a high international level. The professor is expected to work with the ownership research team to maintain and develop global research leadership in the area, which involves mentoring younger researchers, data collection and data access, organization and participation in international conferences, seminars and workshops. In accordance with CBS research policy, the professor is guaranteed freedom of research within the research area in question.
Examples of research that the professor might cover are the consequences of long-term ownership for value creation, corporate responsibility, active ownership, board leadership and executive compensation policies. Most of these issues are of general concern to businesses around the world, but have a special meaning in controlled corporations.
CCG is an interdisciplinary department with a strong track record in corporate governance research. It is essential that the candidate is able to provide a significant contribution to the department's distinct research profile.
The position is a permanent full Professorship with both research and teaching obligations. It is our ambition to be in the international frontline in both fields; to publish our research results in leading international journals; to maintain an excellent research environment; to seek synergy between research and teaching, and to have a strong partnership with the business community.
Successful applicants must have an international profile, a strong record of research publications, and teaching experience in corporate governance or related fields. They must be capable of providing dynamic leadership in the development of research and teaching, in securing external research funding, and in establishing strong ties with industry.
To fulfill the research requirements of the position, the applicant chosen is expected to be physically present on a regular basis and actively participate in the teaching and research activities of the Center as well as maintaining and establishing broad links across CBS.
- Personal research meeting high international standards, including responsibility for publishing, scientific communication and research-based teaching.
- The academic development of the corporate governance discipline.
- Research management, initiation of research projects, supervision of PhD students, international research co-operation, reviewing for academic journals.
- Research education and further training of researchers, supervision of assistant professors and assessment committee work.
- Teaching and associated examination in existing CBS programs, including Executive Education.
- Promoting CBS’s academic reputation.
- Initiating, fund raising and coordinating research projects.
- Promoting the teaching and research capabilities of Copenhagen Business School and other relevant assignments at Copenhagen Business School.
- Contributing to the administrative responsibilities of the Department and to CBS-wide tasks.
- Communicating findings to the public in general and to CBS’s stakeholders in particular.
- Active participation in the regular research activities, such as research seminars, workshops and conferences.
Candidates must document a high degree of relevant, original and up-to-date scientific publications at an international level within the areas covered by the department.
The center emphasizes the candidate’s ability to undertake research management and other relevant management functions.
The candidate should be able to document pedagogical qualifications, good teaching evaluations, and the ability to innovate within the educational field.
CBS emphasises the candidate’s ability to establish productive contacts with the business community.
The applicant must have professional proficiency in English (written and spoken).
Copenhagen Business School has a broad commitment to the excellence, distinctiveness and relevance of its teaching and research programmes. Candidates who wish to join us should demonstrate enthusiasm for working in an organisation of this type (highlighting, for example, relevant business, educational and dissemination activities).
Information about the center may be found at https://www.cbs.dk/en/research/departments-and-centres/department-of-accounting/center-corporate-governance.
The appointment will be made on contractual terms corresponding to a salary grade 37 plus a personal allowance.
Application must be sent via the electronic recruitment system, using the link below.
Application must include:
- A statement of application.
- Proof of qualifications and a full CV.
- Documentation of relevant, significant, original research at an international level, including publications in the field’s internationally recognized journals and citations in the Social Science Citation Index and/or Google Scholar.
- Documentation of teaching qualifications or other material for the evaluation of his/her pedagogical level. Please see guidelines for teaching portfolios.
- Information indicating experience in research management, industry co-operation and international co-operation.
- A complete, numbered list of publications (indicating titles, co-authors, page numbers and year) with an * marking of the academic productions to be considered during the review. A maximum of 10 publications for review are allowed. Applicants are requested to prioritise their publications in relation to the field of this job advertisement.
- Copies of the publications marked with an *. Only publications written in English (or another specified principal language, according to research tradition) or one of the Scandinavian languages will be taken into consideration.
The Recruitment Committee will shortlist minimum two applicants; when possible five or more applicants will be shortlisted. The shortlisted applicants will be assessed by the Assessment Committee. All applicants will be notified of their status in the recruitment process shortly after the application deadline.
The applicants selected for assessment will be notified about the composition of the Assessment Committee and later in the process about the result of the assessment.
Once the recruitment process is completed each applicant will be notified of the outcome of their application.
Copenhagen Business School must receive all application material, including all appendices (see items above), by the application deadline.
Details about Copenhagen Business School and the department are available at http://www.cbs.dk/.
Application due: 11/2/2020