Hamad Bin Khalifa University (HBKU), a member of Qatar Foundation for Education, Science, and Community Development (QF), was founded in 2010 to continue fulfilling QF’s vision of unlocking human potential. HBKU is a homegrown research and graduate studies University that acts as a catalyst for positive transformation in Qatar and the region while having a global impact.
About Qatar Biomedical Research Institute:
Qatar Biomedical Research Institute (QBRI), part of Hamad Bin Khalifa University (HBKU), is a national center of excellence in biomedical research. It aims to transform healthcare through harnessing and converting the latest advances in science, medicine and technology into novel discoveries that will lead to more effective treatments and preventive strategies for human diseases such as: diabetes, cancer and neurological disorders. The institute strives toward the development of novel diagnostic and therapeutic strategies to facilitate early diagnosis, treatment and management of these devastating diseases with the purpose of improving personalized medicine and healthcare. QBRI has recently occupied state-of-the-art life sciences laboratories in a newly established research campus.
To lead and develop a team of scientists and researchers leading to QBRI's growth and address developmental healthcare needs of Qatar. Conceive and establish competitive research programs including conducting translational research.
Key Result Areas:
- Develop and manage research program in respective fields of expertise to establish recognition & scientific leadership and accelerate the transfer of technology and know-how
- Prepare and lead research plans to ensure achievement of QBRI's mission and strategic objectives while contributing actively to advancing HBKU's vision and mission
- Develop multidisciplinary research programs with synergies to on-going research agenda to achieve an international standard for science and research activities
- Support and implement programs and initiatives for setting up the Centre's infrastructure and laboratory facilities to ensure achievement of the center's objectives and milestones
- Ar Assist senior management team in the development and implementation of QBRI's research strategies, business plans, initiatives, and partnerships
- Maintain expertise and awareness of current technological and scientific developments in the relevant aspects of their discipline
- Prepare and submit research proposals to appropriate national and international agencies in order to secure competitive funding complementing HBKU resources
- Oversee the financial management of their grants, contracts and agreements. Contribute to research projects administrative functions and monitoring request
- Participate in research conferences and seminars in their field of expertise. Produce conference, seminar papers and publications from research
- Supervise and train scientists, research associates, Research fellow ,postdoctoral fellows, research-support and technical staff in relevant areas of work
- Ensure proper records and documentation of research experiments, samples and specimens examined or maintained simultaneously ensuring accuracy of laboratory reports. Protects and complies with HBKU & QBRI' s intellectual property rights
- Recruit research staff in areas that support the center's research priorities and strategic objectives, in close coordination with other members in compliance with procedures & policies
- Oversee the implementation of policies and procedures related to the safe conduct, compliance and regulatory issues of scientific research within the center
- Develop and maintain relationships with existing research partners in Education City and The State of Qatar to create joint programs for the benefit of the Research Centre
- Establish collaborative relationships with biomedical research, pharmaceutical partners government officials and religious leaders to ensure the Research Centre's input on research ethics, policy and regulatory Partake in the center's education, training and joint faculty activities with HBKU as well as other capacity building activities
- Ensure compliance with national and governmental agencies' research compliance protocols and procedures Other reasonable tasks as assigned by supervisor
Operating Environment, Framework & Boundaries:
- Work is performed in a standard office environment. Must comply with QF health, safety, and environment policy as well as legal regulations applicable to areas of responsibility.
Communications and Working Relationships:
- Center Director - weekly formal reporting on regular basis such as projects and discussions about forthcoming and/or planned projects
- Scientific & Research Staff - regular contact to provide training, motivation, and support for all research activities
- HBKU, research partners and stakeholders in Qatar - Contact as needed to coordinate the development of research programs relevant to QBRI, HBKU and Qatar.
Problem Solving & Complexity:
- Proactively identifies problems that are inhibiting meeting organizational objectives
- Encourages both individuals and teams to solve problems through empowerment and effective delegation and review mechanisms
- Ensures the allocation of resources and invests in people and tools to optimize problem solving and decision making efforts
- Removes obstacles and facilitates information flow to support effective problem solving across the organization
Decision-Making Authority & Responsibility:
- Applies judgment to decide when to make swift decisions even in the absence of all necessary information
- Arrives at sound and timely decisions, based on past experience and an understanding of the current business environment and projected changes
- Considers the impact of decisions on various stakeholders and takes this into account Delegates decision making as appropriate to encourage and facilitate empowerment
Minimum Knowledge, Skills & Experience:
- PhD. in biomedical sciences with hands-on laboratory experience
- 12 years of full time work experience with a demonstrated strong record of publications, conference papers, reports and/or professional and/or technical contributions in the relevant scientific discipline Outstanding domain knowledge in technologies relevant to their field of expertise
- Prior supervising experience of a team of highly capable, motivated scientists is required
- An outstanding contributor to original research. Scientific rigor and superior knowledge in scientific research methods as well as evaluation of research results
- Outstanding ability to lead & educate and train scientists, research associates and technician
- Excellent writing skills with the ability to draft and edit a variety of written reports and communications and to articulate ideas clearly and concisely; Arabic proficiency is an advantage
- Proficiency in MS Office applications
- Fulfill QBRI requirements for a scientific leadership post.
- Manage and develop a leading research team in Qatar in the general area of infection and immunity.
- Develop a national and international professional research network to lead and develop research advances and strategy in communicable disease research.
- At least 5 to 10 years of research team leadership experience in public and/or private research institutions of significant scale.
- Influential in his/her field with a vision of how to create, grow and nurture a world-class research team.
- Success is measured as real-world impact through a tangible output of high impact publications; scientific interactions and collaborations; and patents.
How to apply
Please submit your completed application (CV, cover letter and the names of three references with their full contact information) via the following link: Click here to apply
Hamad Bin Khalifa University, being an equal opportunity educator and employer, is committed to maintaining culturally and academically diverse staff of the highest caliber.