Dean, College of Engineering, Science and Technology
3 days left
- Full Time
Closing Date: 01-November-2020
The University is seeking an experienced and visionary Dean to lead the College of Engineering, Science and Technology into the next stage of its development. The College is the largest in the University with approximately 5,900 students and about 330 staff. The College presently includes both TVET and higher education programmes, but the University is planning to restructure so that TVET becomes part of a separate college.
The Dean-CEST will take over the consolidation and expansion of the higher education arm of the College and focus on achieving Washington Accord accreditation by 2021. This a challenging senior executive role and one that will require the ability to lead ongoing organisational change and development.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- To provide vision, academic leadership and strategic management for the College, to enable it to contribute fully to the University’s vision and mission and Strategic Plan objectives.
- To manage and administer the College within the University’s delegation framework for academic quality assurance, financial and human resource management, ensuring that the governance, management and organisational structures and processes of the College are effective, efficient and transparent, that the process of decision making is clear and that the operational processes conform to the University’s policies and procedures.
- To prepare an annual academic and financial plan for the College in accordance with the University’s Strategic Plan objectives and to take responsibility for its delivery through effective and efficient operational planning.
- To empower the staff in the College through effective leadership and ensure that workload models, fair and transparent staff appraisal, and development and reward strategies are in place and effectively operated and aligned with the University’s institutional requirements.
- To ensure that the College’s academic programmes are delivered and research conducted according to the rules and guidelines of the University and its Senate, that the curricula remain relevant and are continuously refreshed and renewed and that the University’s technological infrastructure to support learning and teaching is optimally utilised.
- To manage, promote, develop and engage with professional practice, bodies and partners regarding professions relevant to the College.
- To maintain an organisational culture and effective structures and processes within the College which are conducive to the provision of a high-quality student experience and high level of satisfaction.
- To promote and market the College and its Schools to future students and staff and to ensure cooperation with regard to learning and teaching, research and engagement across and between Schools and Colleges and to pursue cooperation with other educational institutions in support of the University’s strategic objectives.
- To develop and actively pursue an income generation strategy from external sources to enhance the growth and diversification of income streams, by exploiting new business, research and enterprise opportunities.
- To promote internal communication and ensure that all staff are kept informed of University and College affairs and plans (including the targets and progress with regard to the University’s Strategic Plan).
The successful candidate will be an experienced academic leader, with a strong record of scholarship and research in civil, mechanical, electrical or computer engineering that commands credibility within the academic community nationally and internationally. She/he will have experience of curriculum design and development and familiarity with the requirements of Washington Accord accreditation.
- An earned PhD in civil, mechanical, electrical, computer, chemical engineering or a cognate discipline of engineering from a recognised university.
- Professional membership of an internationally recognised professional engineering body (eg, Engineers Australia, Engineers New Zealand).
- A significant personal record of research, evidenced by peer-reviewed journal articles, research grants and PhD completions.
- A record of successful academic leadership in a higher education institution that includes a broad range of disciplines.
- A record of successful curriculum development, including the incorporation of new developments in tertiary pedagogy and distance delivery (including educational technologies).
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to communicate effectively at all levels.
- Ability to manage and motivate own team and where appropriate other corporate teams.
- Ability to negotiate, persuade and influence at both institutional and individual level.
- Effective organisational and time management skills
- Experience of developing strategy and initiating and implementing change in a complex, multicultural environment.
- Experience of positive engagement with students and/or student representative bodies.
- Experience with national and international external accreditation bodies and processes, especially the Washington Accord.
All applications are to include:
(a) a cover letter expressing the interest to join Fiji National University,
(b) a statement of claim addressing the key selection criteria stated in the person specification
(c) a detailed CV and certified copies of all qualifications,
(d) letters of support from two colleagues who were not subordinates at any time, and
(e) names and contacts of at least 3 confidential referees.
The statement of claim against the selection criteria will provide evidence on how your qualifications and experience meet the criteria. This statement of claim will form the main basis for shortlisting. Failure to provide this letter will result in your application not being considered.
Guide on how to address the selection criteria is uploaded in the FNU careers page.
To explore the post further or for any queries you may have, please contact:
Mr. Dharmend Chand, Manager Talent Acquisition & HR Partnerships, Division of Human Resources
Tel: + (679) 3394000 ext. 2639,
All applications will need to be submitted online to the University's online careers site.
Please visit the link below to submit your applications online.
Applications Closing: 01 November 2020
Salary: An attractive salary commensurate with qualifications and abilities would be negotiated with the successful applicant.
College/Division: Office of the Vice Chancellor
Department: Department of Administration
Location: Samabula Campus
Apply for Dean, College of Engineering, Science and Technology
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly