Information Security Policy and Awareness Analyst
The Information Security Associate is an entry-level position that works to gain and expand core experience, skills and abilities in the Security Policy and Awareness Program within Yale University’s Information Security Office. Yale University’s Information Security Office (ISO) coordinates the institution’s response to cyber security risk, enabling Yale’s mission of research, teaching, preservation of knowledge and clinical care. The ISO performs a range of security functions as part of this coordination mission, such as intrusion and vulnerability detection, incident response, policy development, training and awareness, risk assessment, information system classification and analysis, enterprise identity and access management services, regulatory and compliance attestation, disaster recovery coordination, third-party risk management, and security consulting.
This entry-level position develops the analytical and communication skills needed to be considered fully competent as a security policy or awareness analyst. This unit is the primary communications channel between Information Security and the rest of the campus. The position is for anyone passionate about starting their career in Information Security and does not require a technical background or cybersecurity experience.
Effective policy and awareness efforts are essential to securing a distributed organization. As part of this unit, this role will interface with the entire University community and will collaborate with internal Yale cybersecurity professionals. This role will engage with business and technical partners to resolve policy and awareness issues and respond to ad hoc requests. The successful applicant is someone both analytical and curious. This role will engage with the campus community as it explores and proposes creative solutions to training and awareness methods and policy clarification. As a member of this team, strong oral and communication skills are key.
Above all, this position requires a passion for learning and a drive to go above and beyond to achieve goals. We are looking for someone who is creative and loves collaborating in a team environment. The exposure and experience gained from this role will prepare the individual to leap into their desired career path within Information Security.
Key skills and abilities for year one:
- Ability to define problems, identify solutions and follow through to completion.
- Strong interpersonal, organizational, and communication skills
- Ability to speak publicly with confidence and poise
- Ability to target communications to the audience
- Work well in a team environment
- “Own” personal development process
Not intimidated by diving in and understanding new technology.
- Works closely with experienced staff to acquire the skills and knowledge necessary to become proficient in area(s) of specialization. Takes initiative to increase understanding of all job-related areas.
- Assists in applying principals and methods of the functional area to problems in technical areas to arrive at viable solutions.
- Perform analysis, design, implementation and maintenance activities within area(s) of focus
- Troubleshoot processes, issues and errors.
- Participate in projects that solve business requirements.
- Explore and propose creative information technology solutions to business problems.
- Pursues opportunities for efficiencies and/or to achieve cost reduction.
- Work with business and technical partners to resolve business issues and respond to ad hoc requests.
- Ensure all work is in compliance with Yale University and Information Technology policies, procedures, guidelines and regulatory requirements.
- Complete additional assignments as assigned.
Required Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree and no experience necessary or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Required Skill/Ability 1:
Passion for career in Information Security (cybersecurity).
Required Skill/Ability 2:
Strong oral and written communication skills, analytical and problem solving.
Required Skill/Ability 3:
Drive and initiative to go above and beyond to achieve goals while collaborating in a team environment.
Required Skill/Ability 4:
Proven ability to communicate and collaborate with various constituents.
Required Skill/Ability 5:
Open-minded and curious with a passion for learning.
Weekend Hours Required?
Evening Hours Required?
Background Check Requirements
All candidates for employment will be subject to pre-employment background screening for this position, which may include motor vehicle, DOT certification, drug testing and credit checks based on the position description and job requirements. All offers are contingent upon the successful completion of the background check. Please visit www.yale.edu/hronline/careers/screening/faqs.html for additional information on the background check requirements and process.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the essential functions that will be required of the position and should not be construed as a declaration of specific duties and responsibilities of the particular position. Employees will be assigned specific job-related duties through their hiring departments.
Affirmative Action Statement:
Yale University considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, an individual’s sex, race, color, religion, age, disability, status as a veteran, or national or ethnic origin; nor does Yale discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity or expression. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 protects people from sex discrimination in educational programs and activities at institutions that receive federal financial assistance. Questions regarding Title IX may be referred to the University’s Title IX Coordinator, at TitleIX@yale.edu, or to the U.S. Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights, 8th Floor, Five Post Office Square, Boston MA 02109-3921. Telephone: 617.289.0111, Fax: 617.289.0150, TDD: 800.877.8339, or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Yale University is a tobacco-free campus