Senior Technical Assistant, Department of Mathematics and Applied Mathematics
FACULTY OF NATURAL AND AGRICULTURAL SCIENCES
DEPARTMENT OF MATHEMATICS AND APPLIED MATHEMATICS
In pursuit of the ideals of excellence and diversity, the University of Pretoria wishes to invite applications for the following vacancy.
The University of Pretoria's commitment to quality makes us one of the top research Universities in the country and gives us a competitive advantage in international science and technology development.
The incumbent is responsible for the following portfolios:
Provide technical support for the Co-ordinators of the High Impact Modules (HIMs) and/or for the Co-ordinator of the Extended Programme in the following:
- Organising the early engagement with prospective students in mathematics intensive degrees and implementation of the online Preparatory Mathematics module;
- Dividing of students into tutorial groups and handling of students changing groups;
- Assistance in the co-ordination of tutorial topics and class tests;
- Assistance with the day-to-day running of the module websites and educational software used in the respective modules;
- Overseeing the handling of test and examination scripts, addition of marks, alphabetising, handling of sick notes and arranging supplementary tests;
- Engaging with students based on Calculus Readiness Test results;
- Organising the Early Intervention and support for students at risk
- Proofreading and printing of notes, tests and examination papers and preparing memoranda;
- First-stop for all student enquiries (normally directed to the Co-ordinator).
Facilitation of learning:
- Assisting with tutoring of large tutorial groups;
- Grading of assessments.
- BSc-degree in Mathematics;
- A postgraduate qualification in Education or Psychology or equivalent; or experience in tertiary mathematics teaching.
REQUIRED COMPETENCIES (SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND BEHAVIOURAL ATTRIBUTES):
- Excellent computer skills in Microsoft Office: Excel, Word and PowerPoint as well as Internet skills, e-mails, etc;
- Excellent interpersonal skills;
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written);
- Proven administrative and organising skills;
- Ability to work with large groups of students.
- Relevant experience in a tertiary education environment.
ADDED ADVANTAGES AND PREFERENCES:
- BSc Honours or higher degree in Mathematics;
- Substantial teaching experience in Mathematics
- Typesetting by Mathematics software (e.g. Latex, Scientific workplace);
- Experience with educational software and/or mathematical programmes like Mathematica, Matlab, Maple.
PLEASE NOTE: All shortlisted candidates may be required to participate in relevant skills assessments as part of the selection process.
The all-inclusive remuneration package for this contract position will be commensurate with the incumbent’s level of appointment, as determined by UP policy guidelines.
Applicants are requested to apply online at www.up.ac.za, and follow the link: Careers@UP.
In applying for this post, please attach:
- A comprehensive CV;
- Names, e-mail addresses and telephone details of three referees whom we have permission to contact.
CLOSING DATE: 14 October 2020
No application will be considered after the closing date, or if it does not comply with at least the minimum requirements.
Mrs E Kühn, firstname.lastname@example.org for application-related enquiries, and
Prof R Anguelov, email@example.com for enquiries relating to the post content.
Should you not hear from the University of Pretoria by 30 November 2020, please accept that your application has been unsuccessful.
The University of Pretoria is committed to equality, employment equity and diversity.
In accordance with the Employment Equity Plan of the University and its Employment Equity goals and targets, preference may be given, but is not limited to candidates from under-represented designated groups.
All candidates who comply with the requirements for appointment are invited to apply. All candidates agree to undergo verification of personal credentials.
The University of Pretoria reserves the right to not fill the advertised positions.