Professor and Dean, Faculty of Economic and Management Sciences
FACULTY OF ECONOMIC AND MANAGEMENT SCIENCES
In pursuit of the ideals of excellence and diversity, the University of Pretoria wishes to invite applications for the following vacancy.
The University of Pretoria is a leading research university in South Africa. The University prides itself on producing well-rounded, creative graduates and responsible, productive citizens and future leaders. Research at UP is at the apex of the University's long-term strategic plan, UP 2025, which is to be a leading research-intensive university in Africa. Equally important is the University's international reputation and visibility and the impact of its research, innovation, and teaching and learning on socio-economic development in South Africa and the region. The University also strives to harness its strength as a large residential university to embrace diversity, transformation, and financial sustainability.
The Faculty of Economic and Management Sciences is highly regarded for its contribution to knowledge production and established interactions with both the public and the private sectors and is well known for its excellence and innovation in teaching and learning. The Faculty currently employs 187 dedicated and well-qualified full-time academics and has close to 8 000 undergraduate and postgraduate students enrolled in various specialist BCom and BAdmin and associated postgraduate qualifications focussing on four broad areas: economic sciences, financial sciences, management sciences and public management and administration. The Faculty’s vision is to be at the cutting edge of economic, financial and management education, research, and community engagement within the national, African, and global contexts.
Several of the Faculty’s programmes are accredited by national and international professional and statutory bodies. The Faculty is also a member of the Association for the Advancement of Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB).
The Dean of the Faculty of Economic and Management Sciences forms part of the senior management team of the University. Within the Faculty, the Dean is assisted by a Deputy Dean: Research and Postgraduate Studies, a Deputy Dean: Teaching and Learning, Heads of Academic Departments, a Faculty Manager, and additional professional and support staff.
The position of Professor and Dean of the Faculty will be vacant with effect from 1 August 2021 and suitably qualified persons are invited to apply. For more information on the Faculty of Economic and Management Sciences, visit https://www.up.ac.za/faculty-of-economic-and-management-sciences.
The University seeks to appoint a visionary, collaborative, and strategic leader as Dean who can execute plans successfully. The successful candidate will be responsible for ensuring the alignment of the ethos, vision, and mission of the Faculty with those of the University and provide an inclusive and optimal work environment for staff in pursuit of the goals of the Faculty and University.
The incumbent will provide sound leadership in respect of the strategic direction of the Faculty by focusing on the following:
- Promoting and ensuring research productivity of high impact and relevance;
- Enhancing and upholding the significance and excellence of the Faculty’s academic offerings;
- Enhancing and encouraging collaboration with regional, national and international external partners and stakeholders (including other academic institutions; research organisations; financial, commercial and business enterprises; accreditation, professional and statutory bodies; government and the community);
- Implementing purposeful marketing strategies in pursuit of the advancement of the Faculty;
- Actively pursuing alternative funding sources, maintaining financial sustainability, and optimising resources;
- Advancing an ethical, diverse, and inclusive faculty community that strives for equity and cultivates a sense of belonging for all.
- An appropriate doctoral qualification in the field of Economic and Management Sciences from an institution that is recognised for academic excellence;
- Proven and established record of research and teaching achievements as well as the ability to create an environment in which teaching, learning, and research activities are strongly supported and can flourish;
- Proven managerial expertise, skills and competencies in all areas required to manage the Faculty, including knowledge of and experience in finance, human resources, and marketing;
- Proven ability to build meaningful relationships with industry partners, members of professions, government, key stakeholders and donors;
- Proven ability to generate financial and other resources in support of the Faculty;
- The candidate must possess the requisite qualifications and experience to be eligible for appointment as a full professor at the University of Pretoria.
REQUIRED COMPETENCIES (SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND BEHAVIOURAL ATTRIBUTES):
- Strong leadership skills and the capacity to engender good interpersonal relations in academic and professional support staff teams;
- The ability to provide strong academic leadership in the Faculty and to enhance and build the Faculty’s academic stature;
- Cherish academic freedom, creative and innovative thought, ethical standards and integrity, accountability and social justice;
- Value staff and students as the core assets of the university;
- Commitment to the transformation of the South African society and diversity in all its forms;
- Excellent communication and appropriate language skills.
ADDED ADVANTAGES AND PREFERENCES:
- Experience in accreditation initiatives and processes.
The annual remuneration package will be commensurate with the incumbent’s level of appointment, as determined by UP policy guidelines. UP subscribes to the BESTMED and UMVUZO medical aid schemes and contributes 50% of the applicable monthly premium.
Applicants are requested to apply online at www.up.ac.za, and follow the link: Careers@UP.
In applying for this post, please attach:
- A full academic curriculum vitae (the University’s template to be used);
- An abbreviated curriculum vitae;
- A self-evaluation by the applicant of his/her suitability for appointment in the post;
- The applicant's vision for the Faculty of Economic and Management Sciences in the national as well as the international contexts;
- The names and contact details of at least three referees who can attest to the candidate’s academic stature as well as leadership qualities.
PLEASE NOTE: The University reserves the right to appoint and consult its own referees.
The Regulations and Procedure for the Appointment of Deans and Deputy Deans are available on the careers@UP link on the Intranet (Link: Appointment regulations for Executives and Deans). By applying, applicants consent to the appointment process as detailed in the regulations and procedure.
The Dean is appointed for a term of four years, but external candidates will also be considered for a permanent academic appointment in a suitable academic department within the University
CLOSING DATE: 30 November 2020
No application will be considered after the closing date, or if it does not comply with at least the minimum requirements.
ENQUIRIES: Professor NTF Duncan, Vice-Principal: Academic or Ms Letticia Jooste, Tel: (012) 420 6921, or e-mail: email@example.com.
Should you not hear from the University of Pretoria by 31 January 2021, please accept that your application has been unsuccessful.
The University of Pretoria is committed to equality, employment equity and diversity.
In accordance with the Employment Equity Plan of the University and its Employment Equity goals and targets, preference may be given, but is not limited to candidates from under-represented designated groups.
All candidates who comply with the requirements for appointment are invited to apply. All candidates agree to undergo verification of personal credentials.
The University of Pretoria reserves the right to not fill the advertised positions.