Lecturer/Assistant Professor/Associate Professor - Foundational Mathematics
DEPARTMENT: Department of Foundational Mathematics
ACADEMIC DISCIPLINE: Foundational Mathematics
POSITION TITLE: Lecturer/Assistant Professor/Associate Professor
LOCATION: SUZHOU CAMPUS
SALARY: Salary is based on experience and qualification. The scales for the salary are:
- Associate Professor: 34,738 - 37,469RMB/month (with the opportunity to go to 41,063RMB based on future annual performance and evaluations after being in the post).
- Assistant Professor: 27,929 - 30,762RMB/month (with the opportunity to go to 34,219RMB/month based on future annual performance and evaluations after being in the post).
- Lecturer: 22,260- 24,610/month (with the opportunity to go to 27,514RMB/month based on future annual performance and evaluations after being in the post)
POSITION OPEN DATE: Sept 1st, 2020
ADVERTISEMENT CLOSING DATE: Open until the positions are filled.
JOB ID: From PeopleSoft for reference
CONTRACT TYPE: Full-time
UNIVERSITY AND DEPARTMENT OVERVIEW:
Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University (XJTLU) is a unique collaborative institution and the first joint-venture university in China to offer both UK (University of Liverpool) and Chinese (Ministry of Education) accredited undergraduate degrees for all programmes. Formed in 2006, the first cohort of students graduated in August 2010. The University now has almost 15,000 students studying on campus. The language of instruction is English. XJTLU aims to become truly research-led, and has recently committed significant investment into research development and the expansion of PhD student numbers on campus.
XJTLU is located in the Higher Education Town of Suzhou Industrial Park (SIP). Suzhou has been ranked the 74th most liveable city in the 2018 Global Liveability Index. Additionally, it is well-connected via nearby airports to cities such as Hong Kong, Seoul, Tokyo, and Taipei, and via high-speed rail to other major cities in China. SIP is a major growth zone, including operations run by nearly one-fifth of the Fortune 500 top global companies. Greater Suzhou is now the fourth largest concentration of economic activity in China in terms of GDP, and the SIP has a higher GDP per capita than the UK. The broader Suzhou area encompasses the spirit of both old and new in China, with the historic old town’s canals, UNESCO World Heritage Site gardens, and the I.M. Pei-designed Suzhou Museum attracting millions of tourists annually. SIP offers an excellent quality of life with high environmental standards. The nearby Jinji Lake provides attractive views, by day and by night, and there is a variety of shopping facilities, international and local restaurants, entertainment hubs and nightlife. Suzhou is also home to four international schools.
The Department of Foundational Mathematics is responsible for the delivery of mathematics teaching to Year 1 students. The Department has formed a highly professional team of teaching staff which consists of well-trained PhD’s from Western and Chinese first-rate universities, and some renowned senior professors with rich teaching experience. The Department of Foundational Mathematics invites strong applications for these positions to begin as soon as possible.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
We are looking for future colleagues who can
- Deliver lectures of Calculus, Linear Algebra, Statistics and mathematical modelling in English to UG Year 1 students.
- Undertake appropriate research, including scientific research in mathematical sciences and pedagogical research in the teaching of university mathematics.
- Provide administrative service to the department and university committees.
Preference will be given to applicants who have shown outstanding promise in research and teaching. It is important to note that a successful applicant must be able to teach in English as XJTLU’s working and instructional language is English.
- A PhD degree in mathematics or a closely aligned discipline is required.
- Ideally few years of teaching/research experience at a university or equivalent after completion of PhD degree.
- Publications record in an area of expertise.
- Good communication skills and strong team player.
- High sense of responsibility.
- Fluency in English.
- Strong knowledge/experience in international higher education.
Members of Academic Staff are entitled to subsidies for accommodation, travel, and children’s educational, medical insurance, and a one-time relocation allowance is provided. Overseas staff may receive a tax “holiday,” depending on nationality and personal circumstances.
CITIZENSHIP AND VISA REGULATIONS:
Employment at Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University is regulated by Chinese Labour Laws, and must comply with the regulations of the provincial government. These regulations stipulate who is eligible for legal employment with regard to obtaining work permits and visas. Please be advised candidates over 65 may be not eligible for PRC work visa.
Please submit your applications online
Applications must be submitted in a single pdf file that includes 3 parts in the order of:
- A cover letter
- A current CV, including date of birth, country of citizenship, and highest degree level
- Contact details for three references
Applications should be received by the closing date stated above. Informal enquiries about the positions and the department may be addressed to the Head of Department (Dr Rui Zhang, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org).
If you are unable to apply on-line, please contact the Human Resource Office.