The University of Pennsylvania, the largest private employer in Philadelphia, is a world-renowned leader in education, research, and innovation. This historic, Ivy League school consistently ranks among the top 10 universities in the annual U.S. News & World Report survey. Penn has 12 highly-regarded schools that provide opportunities for undergraduate, graduate and continuing education, all influenced by Penn’s distinctive interdisciplinary approach to scholarship and learning.
Penn offers a unique working environment within the city of Philadelphia. The University is situated on a beautiful urban campus, with easy access to a range of educational, cultural, and recreational activities. With its historical significance and landmarks, lively cultural offerings, and wide variety of atmospheres, Philadelphia is the perfect place to call home for work and play.
The University offers a competitive benefits package that includes excellent healthcare and tuition benefits for employees and their families, generous retirement benefits, a wide variety of professional development opportunities, supportive work and family benefits, a wealth of health and wellness programs and resources, and much more.
Job Profile Title Steamfitter
Job Description Summary
The Division of Facilities and Real Estate Services (FRES) provides the expertise, business process, policies and standards required to plan, design, construct, operate, maintain and renew the physical assets of the University, excluding the health system. In addition, the Division, comprised of approximately five Departments, is responsible for the strategic planning, management and operation of non-academic University property, and collaborating with the neighborhood to create a safe, diverse and economically vibrant destination. With close to 12M square feet of space, FRES maintains 186 buildings on a campus of 276 acres, completes over 60,000 maintenance requests per year, and starts approximately 250 projects a year. FRES is comprised of the following Departments: Administration, Office of the University Architect, Design and Construction, Real Estate, Operations and Maintenance.
The University of Pennsylvania is implementing a campus transformation entitled Penn Connects (http://www.pennconnects.upenn.edu). This comprehensive, award winning effort is expanding the campus over the next 20 years, including the construction of new academic research and recreational facilities. In addition, the University has secured $300M in Century Bond funding and continues to upgrade existing facilities over the coming years. https://www.facilities.upenn.edu/
- Must have High School Diploma or GED.
- Must have successfully completed one of the following:
- An approved accredited apprenticeship (4 year program) in HVAC or Steamfitting and have obtained 3 years of Journey-person level on the job experience post program graduation.
- HVAC or Steamfitter trade-specific vocational school (2-year program) and have obtained 5 years of Journey-person level on the job experience post program graduation.
- HVAC or Steamfitter trade-specific military school(s) or corporate training program and have obtained 5 years of journey-person level on the job experience post program completion.
- Must have 5-7 years of experience with HVAC and/or Steam systems.
- Must be able to perform the physical demands of the position including extensive walking, standing, bending, climbing stairs/ladders, and the ability to lift at least 50 lbs. Must have valid driver’s license, free of any suspension or revocation, from the individual’s state of permanent residency. Must be able to accept rotating shift work if required.
- Must have the ability, experience and willingness to perform multi- skilled trade functions as assigned or as operational needs dictate.
- Knowledge of the principles and methods used in the maintenance and operation of steam distribution, HVAC, and building mechanical systems; as well as understanding of the components associated with these systems (valves , steam Traps, pumps, coils, AHU's, etc.).
- Experience in using the materials, tools, and equipment used in the installation, maintenance and repair of steam, HVAC and building equipment.
- Experience installing, troubleshooting, and repairing all components associated with steam, HVAC and building mechanical systems.
- Practical and theoretical knowledge in understanding and utilizing safe work practices and PPE as defined by OSHA and other governing entities. (What is LOTO, JSA, PRCS, PPE, etc.).
- Experience energizing, operating, and maintaining steam distribution systems with pressures ranging from 0-250 psi.
- Experience interpreting and working from schematics, drawings, sketches and O&M manuals.
- Experience repairing and troubleshooting both pneumatic and DDC controls.
Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Job Location - City, State Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Department / School Facilities and Real Estate Services
Affirmative Action Statement
Penn adheres to a policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected class.
Background check required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.