Research Project Manager
The University of Pennsylvania, the largest private employer in Philadelphia, is a world-renowned leader in education, research, and innovation. This historic, Ivy League school consistently ranks among the top 10 universities in the annual U.S. News & World Report survey. Penn has 12 highly-regarded schools that provide opportunities for undergraduate, graduate and continuing education, all influenced by Penn’s distinctive interdisciplinary approach to scholarship and learning.
Penn offers a unique working environment within the city of Philadelphia. The University is situated on a beautiful urban campus, with easy access to a range of educational, cultural, and recreational activities. With its historical significance and landmarks, lively cultural offerings, and wide variety of atmospheres, Philadelphia is the perfect place to call home for work and play.
The University offers a competitive benefits package that includes excellent healthcare and tuition benefits for employees and their families, generous retirement benefits, a wide variety of professional development opportunities, supportive work and family benefits, a wealth of health and wellness programs and resources, and much more.
Job Profile Title Manager Research Project B
Job Description Summary
Responsible for day to day management of complex clinical research studies conducted with collaborators both internal and external to Penn. With mentoring from the Principal Investigators, will oversee overall daily management of complex research projects conducted within the Department of Neurology. The project manager in collaboration with the Principal Investigators monitors all aspects of the program including managing budget, supervising staff, and coordinating with internal and external constituents. Oversees and coordinates subject recruitment and screening. Coordinates and conducts data collection, quality control, and compliance in keeping with study protocols. Conducts analyses and manages data for the research program. Prepares reports and makes presentations on study results; drafts articles for publication.
Planning & Management
- Provides overall daily management of the research program in collaboration with the Principal Investigator; monitors all aspects of the program; manages budget; supervises staff.
- Designs and implements systems and procedures to maintain effective and efficient operations in keeping with study protocols.
- Monitors and adjusts workflow of the research team; establishes schedule timelines and develops reminder systems for longitudinal trials
- Demonstrates in-depth knowledge of research design and analyses; contributes to the planning and implementation of grant proposals.
- Acts as liaison with internal and external constituents to ensure effective communication and coordination of activities.
- Coordinates project tasks among and between large academic research institutions with minimal supervision
- Prepares documents for human subjects review as required by each participating study site and funding agency
- Plans and develops meetings with the research team and external participants.
- Monitors project budget and expenses in collaboration with Principal Investigators; coordinates clinical and office supply purchasing; delegates work and supervises part-time and temporary staff on the research team.
- Maintains program documentation and study manual of operations as needed.
- Coordinates with institutional review boards and data safety monitoring board as appropriate; prepares documentation and coordinates submission as needed.
- Maintains documentation of any protocol deviations, reportable events and correction plans
- Manages the grant, abstract and manuscript preparation process.
- Develops and manages efficient and effective organizational systems for all project components.
Subject Recruitment and Retention
- Oversees and coordinates subject recruitment and screening; obtains informed consent; conducts interviews and follow-up as needed; oversees and coordinates follow-up processes to ensure retention of subjects.
- Coordinates the recruitment and eligibility screening of subjects into the research studies in collaboration with research team
- Tracks and monitors consent process.
- Conducts interviews with subjects in multiple care settings or virtually according to established protocols including telephone intake and follow-up as needed.
- Educates and supervises staff on the subject interview process as needed.
Data Collection and Storage, Quality Control and Compliance
- Coordinates and conducts data collection and storage, quality control and compliance in keeping with study protocols.
- Coordinates and conducts primary data collection and storage procedures for research projects.
- Assures confidentiality of subjects as appropriate.
- Ensures quality control measures in keeping with PI’s strict confidentiality study protocols.
- Maintains manual of operations (MOP)
- Oversees fidelity procedures, proactively identifies areas for improvement, and develops potential solutions with at most minimal supervision
- Demonstrates strong familiarity with specialized project areas like automatic transcription and adaptable website design
Database Management and Analysis
- Conducts analyses and manages data for the research program.
- Develops and manages project databases in conjunction with research team.
- Conducts analyses under the direction of the PI and in collaboration with the research team and statistical consultant.
- Ensures timely data entry and transmits data according to established procedures.
- Demonstrates strong understanding of the factors and qualities specific to dementia research and implementation science
Reporting and Dissemination Activities
- Prepares reports and makes presentations on study results; drafts articles for publication.
- Prepares reports and makes presentations on study results.
- Prepares written quarterly and annual reports; prepares reports to funding agency including adverse events as appropriate.
- Drafts/co-authors articles for publication to disseminate research findings.
- Compiles and coordinates the submission of reports for both regulatory and administrative requirements with the PI.
Perform additional duties as assigned
Master's Degree with 3-5 years of related experience or equivalent combination of education and experience is required
Office, library, computer room
Typically sitting at a desk or table; Occasional lifting 25 lb. or less; Typically standing or walking
Job Location - City, State Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Department / School Perelman School of Medicine
Pay Range $59,703.00 - $113,435.00
Affirmative Action Statement
Penn adheres to a policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected class.
Background check required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.