Assistant Teacher, Children's Center
The University of Pennsylvania, the largest private employer in Philadelphia, is a world-renowned leader in education, research, and innovation. This historic, Ivy League school consistently ranks among the top 10 universities in the annual U.S. News & World Report survey. Penn has 12 highly-regarded schools that provide opportunities for undergraduate, graduate and continuing education, all influenced by Penn’s distinctive interdisciplinary approach to scholarship and learning.
Penn offers a unique working environment within the city of Philadelphia. The University is situated on a beautiful urban campus, with easy access to a range of educational, cultural, and recreational activities. With its historical significance and landmarks, lively cultural offerings, and wide variety of atmospheres, Philadelphia is the perfect place to call home for work and play.
The University offers a competitive benefits package that includes excellent healthcare and tuition benefits for employees and their families, generous retirement benefits, a wide variety of professional development opportunities, supportive work and family benefits, a wealth of health and wellness programs and resources, and much more.
Job Profile Title Assistant Teacher
Job Description Summary
Assistant Teacher - Teach, guide and supervise children 12 weeks to 5 years. Assist the Lead Teacher in the following: Develop, plan and carry out daily activities and lesson plans. Direct activities of classroom assistants. Arrange and maintain educational material and equipment, log activities, keep records, prepare reports, and communicate with parents.
This position is a key member of our large team and as a member of the team is responsible for supporting the basic philosophy of Penn Children's Center: "Learning through Play." The role is responsible for fostering the cognitive, social, emotional, and physical development of each child.
The successful applicant will:
- Be responsible to teach, guide, and supervise children 12 weeks to 5 years in accordance with NAEYC, Keystone Stars, and DHS guidelines.
- Assist teacher in developing, planning and carrying out daily activities and lesson plans. Arranges and maintains educational materials and equipment.
- Logs daily activities, keep records, prepares reports and communicates with parents on a daily basis as well as by a monthly newsletter, timely e-mails and meetings when necessary.
- Required to maintain a Professional Development Record and meet all training mandates.
- Assume all duties of classroom in the Lead Teacher's absence.
- An Associate's Degree or two year college equivalent is required and 3 years to 5 years of experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Bachelor's Degree in early childhood or similar highly regarded.
- Solid understanding of early childhood development required, together with a working knowledge of early childhood/education standards.
- Strong communication, collaboration and nurturing skills are essential.
- Evidence of initiative and adaptability to change.
- Evidence of a commitment to early childhood and continued professional development.
- Flexibility to work during Center opening hours as required to ensure appropriate service provision and to meet licensing ratios (ie. normally between 7:30am to 6:00pm).
- Experience working with a diverse group of families.
- Skills in language, art, music, or drama highly regarded.
- The successful candidate must be able to work among three age groups; infant, toddler and preschool.
Physical Requirements & Working Conditions:
- Occasional lifting 25-50 lbs.
- Occasional lifting 25 lb. or less
- Typically standing or walking
- Intermittently sitting/standing/stooping
- Typically bending, crouching, stooping
A comprehensive post offer, pre-employment background check will be undertaken for this position. Periodic background checks will also be undertaken during employment as required by law. Applications are strongly encouraged from individuals in minority groups.
The University of Pennsylvania's child care center is for children ages three months to five years. Located on the University campus, the Center is administered by the Department of Business Services at Penn. Enrollment in the Penn Children's Center is open to all members of the University and surrounding communities with preference given to faculty, staff and students of the University. More information about Penn Children's Center (PCC) is available at: https://business-services.upenn.edu/childcare/
The Business Services Division (BSD) supports the individual and collective needs of the Penn community by promoting a hospitable, customer-friendly campus environment through the provision of mission-critical services and essential operations. BSD’s mission is to provide high-quality service in a fiscally responsible manner. The Division is currently focused on three major initiatives: Revenue growth/retention through improved marketing efforts, extended services, and development of new distribution channels; driving productivity for the Division and its customers through the better use of technology, and enhancing service offerings through upgrades and expansions of facilities. https://www.business-services.upenn.edu/
Job Location - City, State Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Department / School Business Services
Pay Range $16.23 - $29.22
Affirmative Action Statement
Penn adheres to a policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected class.
Background check required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.