Life Science Technician I
This position is represented by SEIU Local 2007 and the collective bargaining agreement between the university and SEIU Local 2007 governs the terms and conditions of employment.
A laboratory in the Genetics Department at Stanford University is seeking to hire two Life Science Technician 1’s (LST1) with expertise in basic biochemistry and molecular biology. The LST 1 will perform protein and nucleic acids purifications and a variety of biochemical assays to help developing many lab research projects.
- Expressing and purifying recombinant proteins.
- Large scale purification of nucleic acid.
- In vitro chromatin reconstitution.
- Molecular biology/cloning.
- Assist lab members, including students, lab technicians and postdoctoral fellows, with their research projects including providing technical expertise.
- Help orient and train new staff members, and answer emails and communications.
*Other duties may also be assigned.
- At least 1 year of laboratory experience or equivalent training (e.g., one year of college science).
- Excellent organizational and computer skills.
- Ability to following detailed instructions and maintain accurate records.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work with diverse group of staff.
- Must have good communication skills.
- Experience in biology or medical research desired.
- Familiarity with protein purification/FPLC and molecular biology techniques.
- Previous experience in biochemistry and in vitro reconstitutions.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE (REQUIRED):
One year’s employment experience in laboratory work or a combination of equivalent education and relevant work experience/training (e.g., one year of college science).
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (REQUIRED):
Work requires the ability to follow detailed instructions and keep accurate records.
CERTIFICATIONS & LICENSES:
- Frequently stand, walk, twist, bend, stoop, squat, grasp lightly, use fine manipulation, grasp forcefully, perform desk-based computer tasks, use telephone, write by hand.
- Ability to stand and move on hard surfaces for up to eight hours.
- Occasionally lift and handle materials up to 10 pounds
- Rarely carry/pull and/or push up to 20 pounds
- Must have correctible vision to perform duties of the job.
- Position may require repetitive motion.
* - Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
Work occurs in a research laboratory environment. Depending on research, may work in the vicinity of animals, chemicals, gasses, or hazardous materials. Expected to follow all safety requirements and procedures including wearing appropriate Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) if required.
WORK STANDARDS (from JDL):
- Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates the ability to work well with Stanford colleagues and clients and with external organizations.
- Promote Culture of Safety: Demonstrates commitment to personal responsibility and value for safety; communicates safety concerns; uses and promotes safe behaviors based on training and lessons learned.
- Subject to and expected to comply with all applicable University policies and procedures, including but not limited to the personnel policies and other policies found in the University's Administrative Guide, http://adminguide.stanford.edu and the appropriate collective bargaining agreement at https://cardinalatwork.stanford.edu/hr-processes-policiespolicies/labor-relations-collective-bargaining.
- Schedule: Full-time
- Job Code: 5638
- Employee Status: Regular
- Grade: A18
- Department URL: http://genetics.stanford.edu/
- Requisition ID: 87282