HVAC Mechanic, Maintenance Technician
Responsible for operation, replacement, repair and maintenance of building related mechanical, electrical, control systems, plumbing, air handling units, pumps, heat exchangers, expansion joints, and other building mechanical systems. Work involves the lifting of heavy mechanical equipment and apparatus, and may be performed in areas of extreme heat or cold. Receives and responds to service calls, takes immediate action to resolve emergency situations or system breakdowns.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Installs, maintains and repairs chilled water systems, air conditioning, hydronic boilers and refrigeration systems.
- Installs, modifies and repairs related control systems, including pneumatic DDC and other building control systems equipment.
- Performs repair and installation tasks involving assembly, testing, calibrating and adjusting of packaged units, split units, air distribution systems and dehumidification systems.
- May perform complex repairs of system components such as compressors, condensers, heat pump regulators, fluid and refrigeration gas line valves, meters, gauges, thermostats, pumps, mechanical linkage, electrical sensing, switching and controlling devices including pneumatic controls, variable speed drives, digital controlled devices, electronic, hydraulic heating and cooling and economizer systems.
- Review rounds and reading logs for all critical HVAC systems to ensure all systems are operating properly.
- Minimum of five (5) years’ experience in the operation of central building equipment, HVAC, mechanical, plumbing, electrical, and/or electronic systems.
- Experience & proven ability to repair building electrical, plumbing, & HVAC auxiliary systems.
- Experience & proven ability to safely secure hydronic and electrical systems for maintenance.
- Experience & proven ability to Braze/Solder copper pie, thread black pipe.
- Basic carpentry skills.
- Strong knowledge of operation of building auxiliary systems i.e. fire-life safety, stand by emergency generators, UPS Systems.
- Familiarity of general building systems i.e. vertical lift equipment, overhead doors.
- Ability to write, execute written and oral instructions and perform arithmetic calculations.
- Strong knowledge of safe work practices and procedures typical for maintenance operations.
- Ability to safely wear a respirator, climb ladders, enter confined spaces, lift heavy objects and perform other physically demanding tasks Safely and skillfully use all types of related hand and power tools.
- Hospital experience preferred.
In an 8-hour day, must be able to continually bend, squat, kneel, lift, twist, climb, reach, stand and walk; to use hands for repetitive pushing, pulling, and single grasp motion; and to frequently lift and carry objects weighing up to 50 pounds and to move objects in excess of 100 pounds, and travel by government or company vehicle to work location or to other destinations as required.
This position is represented by SEIU Local 2007 and the collective bargaining agreement between the university and SEIU Local 2007 governs the terms and conditions of employment.
The job duties listed are typical examples of work performed by positions in this job classification and are not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Specific duties and responsibilities may vary depending on department or program needs without changing the general nature and scope of the job or level of responsibility. Employees may also perform other duties as assigned.
Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
Stanford is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
- Schedule: Full-time
- Job Code: 8586
- Employee Status: Regular
- Grade: A37
- Requisition ID: 87226