Desktop Support Analyst
Desktop Support Analyst (Computing Support Analyst 1)
Department: School of Engineering IT, Dean’s Office
The School of Engineering
Stanford Engineering has been at the forefront of innovation for nearly a century, creating pivotal technologies that have transformed the worlds of information technology, communications, health care, energy, business, and beyond. Our faculty and students are creative risk-takers who pursue excellence across a breadth of disciplines. Our alumni include some of the world's most successful leaders in technology and business. Our staff are critical to enabling Stanford Engineering to accomplish its mission: seeking solutions to some of the world's most urgent challenges and educating leaders who will make the world a better place through the power of engineering principles, techniques, and systems.
The School of Engineering Information Technology (SoE IT), seeks a Desktop Support Analyst to provide support to six departments, multiple inter-disciplinary programs, laboratories, centers, and affiliate programs for faculty, staff, and students. You would be part of a team providing technical hardware, software, and network support in a complex environment. Our vision is to build an integrated community of information technology professionals who leverage existing and emerging technologies to support innovative and adaptable research, teaching, and business operations.
Under general supervision of the IT Service Desk Manager, provide technical support to end-users for computer hardware, software, and network related problems.
Your responsibilities include*:
- Provide first line of response to requests for various hardware, software, peripheral, and networking technical assistance. Provide remote problem resolution when possible.
- Triage, diagnose, and resolve-end user problems; escalating issues from clients to other support teams as needed.
- Install, upgrade, configure, and troubleshoot computing and communication devices and peripherals.
- Diagnose and troubleshoot problems with Windows and Macintosh operating systems, Essential Stanford Software, network connectivity, file sharing, printing, and essential application functions.
- Enforce the latest University information system/desktop/security standards and initiatives.
- Research, recommend, and implement solutions for customers to meet individual business needs and help ensure compatibility with University systems/architecture.
- Work on technical projects requiring creativity in analysis and deployment of varied technologies.
*Other duties as assigned.
Education & Experience:
- Experience with various operating systems and computing devices. Experience installing and configuring desktop computer systems in a networked computing environment, and in applying diagnostic techniques for problem troubleshooting.
- Two or more years of relevant experience or a combination of education and relevant experience.
- Experience with various operating systems such as Windows, MacOS, Android, and iOS.
- Experience supporting and troubleshooting enterprise email systems such as Office 365.
- Experience working in a higher education environment.
- ServiceNow experience.
- ITIL certification is a plus.
To be successful in this position, you will bring:
- Ability to provide excellent customer service.
- Demonstrated ability to work calmly, professionally, with attention to detail, and solid focus on client service.
- Demonstrated technical expertise & passion for support of Windows and Macintosh operating systems and a variety of software applications.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to solve problems related to software, hardware, and networking.
- Demonstrated ability to adapt to and work well within a team environment.
- Ability to work on multiple projects and under strict deadlines.
Physical Working Conditions*:
- Regularly perform desk-based computer tasks.
- Frequently sitting, use a telephone, grasp lightly/fine manipulation, bending, lifting, standing, and carrying equipment.
- Occasionally lift/carry/push/pull objects that weigh 21-40 pounds.
- Rarely kneel/crawl, climb (ladders, scaffolds, or other), writing by hand, sort/file paperwork or parts, grasp forcefully.
- May work extended hours and some weekends.
- Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates the ability to work well with Stanford colleagues and clients and with external organizations.
- Promote Culture of Safety: Demonstrates commitment to personal responsibility and value for safety; communicates safety concerns; uses and promotes safe behaviors based on training and lessons learned.
- Subject to and expected to comply with all applicable University policies and procedures, including but not limited to the personnel policies and other policies found in the University’s Administrative Guide, http://adminguide.stanford.edu.
Why Stanford is for You
Imagine a world without search engines or social platforms. Consider lives saved through first-ever organ transplants and research to cure illnesses. Stanford University has revolutionized the way we live and enrich the world. Supporting this mission is our diverse and dedicated 17,000 staff. We seek talent driven to impact the future of our legacy. Our culture and unique perks empower you with:
- Freedom to grow. We offer career development programs, tuition reimbursement, or audit a course. Join a TedTalk, film screening, or listen to a renowned author or global leader speak.
- A caring culture. We provide superb retirement plans, generous time-off, and family care resources.
- A healthier you. Climb our rock wall, or choose from hundreds of health or fitness classes at our world-class exercise facilities. We also provide excellent health care benefits.
- Discovery and fun. Stroll through historic sculptures, trails, and museums.
- Enviable resources. Enjoy free commuter programs, ridesharing incentives, discounts, and more!
How to Apply
We invite you to apply for this position by clicking on the “Apply for Job” button. To be considered, please submit a one-page cover letter and résumé along with your online application.
The job duties listed are typical examples of work performed by positions in this job classification and are not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Specific duties and responsibilities may vary depending on department or program needs without changing the general nature and scope of the job or level of responsibility. Employees may also perform other duties as assigned.
Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
Stanford is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
- Schedule: Full-time
- Job Code: 4731
- Employee Status: Regular
- Grade: G
- Requisition ID: 87305