Research Support Specialist 5, Cryo EM Facility
The Cryo-EM Facility Director will provide scientific leadership, management and day-to-day operation of Yale University’s new Yale Science Building (YSB) Cryo-EM Facility. The incumbent will collaborate with and support researchers from across the campus by providing support and guidance in experimental design, sample preparation, data collection, and computational image analysis.
The YSB facility houses a newly installed Glacios microscope equipped with a Gatan K2 camera and a Talos L120C microscope. Additional space in the facility is ready for the addition of two Krios microscopes and another support instrument, such as cryo-FIB. The YSB facility joins other resources at the university housing Titan Krios, Glacios, Tecnai and Aquilos instruments.
- Day-to-day management and technical oversight of the new YSB cryo-EM facility. This includes but is not limited to: maintaining the environment and all equipment in the facility, minimizing downtime, coordinating service and appropriately managing service contracts, implementing and promulgating all necessary safety and security requirements.
- Ensure smooth operation of the facility and provide outstanding user support. User support includes and is not limited to: assisting with experimental design, and training on sample preparation, image acquisition and image analysis.
- Collaborate with users to promote technical innovation in cryo-EM data collection and analysis.
- Coordinate efforts to keep the facility at the cutting edge technically by actively participating in the submission of Shared Instrumentation Grants for equipment upgrades as defined by the Advisory Committee.
- Cultivate a cooperative and informed cryo-EM user base by organizing regular user meetings and other opportunities for users to share experience and knowledge.
- Participate in cryo-EM workshop teaching.
- Collaborate with the director of the Yale West Campus Krios resource and with the manager of the Cryo EM resource at the Yale School of Medicine to support and sustain a multidisciplinary cryo-EM community across the Yale campus, for instance by providing cross-coverage for all Yale cryo-EM resources.
- Promote cryo-EM-based structural biology across Yale and beyond. Network with leaders of scientific core facilities at the University and at peer institutions.
- Participate in the recruitment, training, and oversight of additional staff as needed.
- Prepare periodic reports on facility operations for the Advisory Committee and University administration.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience
- BS degree in biology, chemistry, physics, biophysics, structural biology or a closely related field is required.
- 7 years of experience related experience in a research development facility or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 2 years’ experience with cryo-EM workflow, including sample preparation, data collection and analysis.
Required Skill/Ability 1:
Expertise in high-resolution structural analysis of macromolecules using cryo electron microscopy, including sample preparation and computational analysis with current and customized software.
Required Skill/Ability 2:
Demonstrated experience in the set-up, optimization and/or use of current generation electron microscopes such as the Titan Krios or Glacios.
Required Skill/Ability 3:
Demonstrated competence in setting up, maintaining, and coordinating computational support for the collection, storage, and analysis of cryo-EM datasets.
Required Skill/Ability 4:
Demonstrated ability to communicate with and support researchers with cryo-EM in a shared resource setting.
Background Check Requirements
All candidates for employment will be subject to pre-employment background screening for this position, which may include motor vehicle, DOT certification, drug testing and credit checks based on the position description and job requirements. All offers are contingent upon the successful completion of the background check. Please visit www.yale.edu/hronline/careers/screening/faqs.html for additional information on the background check requirements and process.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the essential functions that will be required of the position and should not be construed as a declaration of specific duties and responsibilities of the particular position. Employees will be assigned specific job-related duties through their hiring departments.
Affirmative Action Statement:
Yale University considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, an individual’s sex, race, color, religion, age, disability, status as a veteran, or national or ethnic origin; nor does Yale discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity or expression. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 protects people from sex discrimination in educational programs and activities at institutions that receive federal financial assistance. Questions regarding Title IX may be referred to the University’s Title IX Coordinator, at TitleIX@yale.edu, or to the U.S. Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights, 8th Floor, Five Post Office Square, Boston MA 02109-3921. Telephone: 617.289.0111, Fax: 617.289.0150, TDD: 800.877.8339, or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Yale University is a tobacco-free campus