Postdoctoral Researcher, Department of Agricultural Sciences
An interest in Performing Research in the Area of Sensor Data Fusion
The University of Helsinki is among the leading multidisciplinary research universities in the world. In addition to its 11 faculties, the University includes several independent institutes, some of which are jointly operated with other universities. The University of Helsinki has an international academic community of 40,000 students and staff members, and it offers comprehensive services to its employees, including occupational health care and health insurance, sports facilities, and opportunities for professional development.
The internationally competitive research of the Faculty of Agriculture and Forestry (https://www.helsinki.fi/en/faculty-of-agriculture-and-forestry/research) provides science-based perspectives and methods for responding to future challenges in agriculture, food production and forestry in Finland as well as globally. The Department of Agricultural Sciences invites applications for
with an interest in performing research in the area of sensor data fusion. The employment is scheduled to commence in January 2020 and will last two years. The work will be conducted in the Agrotechnology research group (https://www.helsinki.fi/en/researchgroups/agrotechnology). The purpose of the research is to develop sensor fusion algorithms in order to evaluate soil properties and conditions during tillage operations. The aim is to combine different types of information from various sources including underground sensors, digital imaging by drones, tractor and implement operational data.
Depending on the appointee’s qualifications and experience, the salary is 3200–3600 euros/month. A trial period of 6 months will be applied.
- The appointee shall have completed a doctoral degree in a relevant field of science.
- Applicant should have a strong academic record with a background in measurement technology, computation, sensor processing (e.g. computer vision), and machine learning.
- Demonstrated record of accomplishment of research experience in relevant subject areas.
- Good programming skills are expected, for example, MATLAB and Python.
- Applicant is expected to be able to act independently as well as to collaborate effectively with members of a larger team.
- Fluency in spoken and written English is required.
Applications for the position should include:
- A cover letter (max 1 page) including a brief description of previous research experience, outline of research skills, and a description how these skills support the project focus areas.
- A CV including possible list of publications, as well as full contact information for at least two references (max 2 pages).
- A copy of D.Sc. diploma (or equivalent) and a transcript of completed credits.
Please compile all documents into a single PDF file in the above-specified order. Please submit your application using the University of Helsinki Recruitment System via the link Apply for job. Applicants who are employees of the University of Helsinki are requested to leave their application via the SAP HR portal.
The deadline for submitting the application is 1st November, 2020.
For more information, please contact Assistant Professor Antti Lajunen by email: antti.lajunen(at)helsinki.fi.
In case you need technical support with the recruitment system, please contact sari.aaltonen(at)helsinki.fi.
01.11.2020 23:59 EET