Director of Clinical Education, MSc Physician Associate Studies
Job Title: Director of Clinical Education, MSc Physician Associate Studies
Reporting To: Head of Department or nominee
Location: RCSI, Dublin / Beaumont Hospital
School: School of Medicine
Contract type/duration: Temporary or permanent contract (depending on preference)
To apply for this job and to view the full job description please go to the RCSI careers www.rcsi.com/careers
Closing date for applications: 11th Oct 2020 @ 11:30pm
Objective of this post:
The Director of Clinical Education will lead and collaborate with faculty colleagues and other members of the Physician Associate Studies leadership team to synthesise and develop the clinical educational components of the
programme, addressing all cultural, sectoral, regulatory and logistical challenges. The principal objective of the post is to enhance and participate in the development, direction, teaching, facilitation and examinations of the MSc in Physician Associate Studies’ programme. The ideal candidate will be an experienced Physician Associate, with a higher degree in a relevant discipline.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Collaborate with the Physician Associate Studies Academic Director and Programme Director to integrate clinical education and skills into the overall programme.
- Design and implement an ongoing clinical placement development plan and liaise with clinical colleagues and health care institutions to ensure the programme has adequate clinical training sites.
- Maintain a strong relationship with the health system and profession, including practitioners and clinicians working in different settings.
- Identify and expand clinical placement opportunities for PA students – ensure their integration.
- Oversee the design and implementation of assessment of clinical phase of programme including interim evaluation of student performance, tutor evaluations, and clinical placement site quality.
- Develop and deliver stimulating education modules and learning experiences for PA students, with a particular applied clinical focus – using a range of innovative teaching methodologies and tools – including blended learning and virtual teaching technologies.
- Serve as a clinical mentor and role model for physician associate students in all phases of their education and professional development.
- Oversee and maintain schedules for student clinical training placements which include the coordination of students and tutors during supervised clinical practice experiences.
- Contribute to the continuous enhancement, updating and implementation of PA student assessment and examination methodologies and solutions.
- Ensure programme quality and compliance and participate in ongoing programme self-assessment and analysis.
Licensure / Certification:
Applicants must have:
- graduated from a master’s level Physician Assistant/Associate Programme
- achieved registration with their respective national examinations board or equivalent
- a current licence to practice as a Physician Associate – have actively maintained personal and professional registration and development
- A qualified PA with a higher degree in a relevant health-related discipline.
- Substantial experience in educational activities with exposure to development of the Physician Associate model.
- Five or more years’ experience in an acute hospital setting desirable.
- Excellent knowledge of the educational landscape in higher and professional education.
- Previous experience of teaching, assessing and managing students in a clinical academic environment.
- Proven communication skills, with an ability to influence a diverse team of academic, administrative and technical professionals in a changing environment with the ability to manage complex relationships at all levels.
- Excellent IT, presentation, verbal and written communication skills.
- Personal drive, energy and enthusiasm to deliver and inspire the achievement of excellent results.
- Strong commitment to quality improvement.
- Requires minimum direction, high personal energy, positive approach to dealing with challenges and ambiguity.