Assistant Dean, Falcon Learning Communities
7 days left
- Full Time
Khalifa University College of Medicine and Health Sciences
The newly-established Khalifa University of Science and Technology combines the Masdar Institute of Science and Technology (MI), Khalifa University of Science,Technology and Research (KUSTAR), and the Petroleum Institute (PI) into one world-class, research-intensive institution, seamlessly integrating research and education to produce world leaders and critical thinkers in applied science and engineering.
Reporting to the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs, the Assistant Dean, Falcon Learning Communities at Khalifa University’s College of Medicine and Health Sciences (CMHS) assists the Associate Dean in providing administrative leadership, policy development, and implementation of programs and services that support medical education and student success through a model of learning communities.
This role is expected to:
- Contribute to the formulation of the CMHS’s strategy, with a focus on meeting KU and CMHS strategic goals in the areas of medical education and medical student support through the establishment and operation of the Falcon Learning Communities (FLC)
- Contribute to development of the CMHS’s policies and procedures, adhering to the overall objectives of Khalifa University, ensuring alignment to applicable regulations and standards and promoting leading practices and educational excellence.
- Contribute to the development and management of the FLC budget
- Manage and mentor faculty, staff and students
- Leadership for developing and maintaining CMHS educational programs:
- Supports CMHS accreditation processes and its program of continuous quality improvement
- Supports CMHS educational programs by overseeing all aspects of the Falcon Learning Communities; working with others to foster a climate of academic excellence, collaboration, and interdisciplinary initiatives.
- Works with the Dean, Associate Deans and faculty to plan, develop, implement, assess and improve courses, programs and services that support the College’s missions
- Ensures that medical student programs and services conform to laws, regulations, and policies of the United Arab Emirates
Falcon Learning Communities
- In coordination with the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs and other departments and offices within the CMHS,participates in the design, implementation, management, and evaluation of the Falcon Learning Communities, its programs and its services.
- Ensures the activities of the FLC are in alignment with accreditation guidelines
- Under the supervision of the CMHS Curriculum Committee, participates in the design, implementation, management,and evaluation of medical student curricular programming in coordination with Medical Education, Clinical Skills and other departments and offices in the CMHS
- Oversees the design, implementation,management and evaluation of FLC co-curricular programs (e.g. Leadership)
- Participates in the design,implementation and evaluation of student support services in coordination with other departments and offices in the CMHS and Khalifa University
- Supervises FLC faculty advisors and FLC coordinators.
- Participates in planning and implementation of student activities and events, including but not limited to,Freshman Orientation, White Coat Ceremony, and Commencement.
- Develops and integrates effective communication strategies to promote faculty, staff, and student engagement inthe FLC and other academic and student support programming consistent with the overall mission of the CMHS.
- Serves as some ex-officio,non-voting member of the Curriculum Committee
- Serves as a voting member of the Admissions Committee
- Designs, implements and evaluates faculty development programming in coordination with the Office of Teaching and Learning
- Other duties as assigned
- Works with the Dean, Associate Deans and Khalifa University’s Office of Research Support to promote and support research activities
- Supports and mentor’s office faculty, staff and students who participate in research
Administrative & People Management
- In consultation with the Dean and Associate Deans, actively works with the Office of Human Resources to recruit and retain high quality faculty and staff for the FLC
- Manages faculty and staff (direct reports) by defining job expectations; plans, monitors, and appraises faculty and staff performance; coaches, counsels and actively participates in the departmental employees’ on-boarding, mentoring and professional development.
- Assists in scheduling and assigning FLC faculty and staff workload
- Provides information or prepares reports as and when needed.
- Ensures adherence to the University's information security policies and procedures, and reports breaches or other security risks accordingly.
- Ensures coordination with other departments to facilitate the accomplishment of tasks and responsibilities, as and when needed.
- Performs any other tasks assigned by the Dean and his line managers.
- Provides coaching, guidance and mentoring as required to enhance the internal capabilities of the team and ensures the achievement of established objectives and plans.
- Recommends appropriate training courses as per pre-determined training needs, evaluates their effectiveness,and monitors their results.
- Carries out performance appraisals for subordinates according to planned schedules and recommends necessary actions as per applied practices.
- Conducts periodic meetings with subordinates to ensure that priorities are clear and workflow is running smoothly.
- Follows-up on employees' administrative affairs such as vacations, leaves and other administrative and related affairs.
- MD and/or PhD in a relevant field of study
- Qualified for faculty appointment at the rank of Assistant Professor or higher
- Prior leadership role in medical education
Prior leadership of a learning community
Demonstrable accomplishments in teaching, research, healthcare delivery, and/or service at a level commensurate of Assistant Professor or above.
- Strong record reflecting excellence in education, clinical practice, research, and or administration.
- Proven management experience,requisite expertise in working collaboratively with faculty members and medicine professionals, strong interpersonal skills, and a thorough understanding of university structure and culture are essential.
- Demonstrable ethical behavior,professionalism, interpersonal skills, leadership and management abilities that are sufficient to effectively direct and develop staff and students.
- Five (5) or more years of experience in medical student education, medical student support services, and/or learning communities
- Familiarity or experience with an education institution in the Middle East.
How To Apply
Should you require further assistance or if you face any issue with the online application, please feel to contact the Recruitment Team (RecruitmentTeam@ku.ac.ae).
Apply for Assistant Dean, Falcon Learning Communities
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly