Post-doctoral Research Associate
The post-doctoral researcher will be working on an international collaborative project entitled ‘Targeting senescence to prevent, alleviate or delay multiple chronic age-related diseases’. The project will utilise laser microdissection, scRNA-seq or ATAC-seq, and ex vivo 3D in vitro models. Therefore, we encourage those with experience in these skills to apply, however it is not essential. We are looking for someone who is a fast learner, is independent and a good communicator. The successful candidate will join a group of researchers within the Ellison-Hughes lab. The researcher will be mainly based at Guy’s campus but will need to spend time with investigators at our Denmark Hill campus.
- Develop and undertake research of high quality consistent with making an active research contribution in line with the Department research strategy
- Contribute to the general day-to-day running of the research laboratory, including preparation of media and solutions, maintenance of equipment and maintaining stocks of consumables
- To be familiar with the specialised equipment and techniques associated with the area of research and, as appropriate, train staff and students in their use.
- To comply with the College’s Health and Safety regulations and policies and good laboratory practice.
- Carry out individual research project with minimal supervision to an agreed timeline and within a specific budget
- Attend and, as appropriate, present research findings at internal meetings and external conferences
- Facilitate collaboration and networking which engages and supports the activities of the lab.
- Contribute to publications arising from the research projects.
- From time to time, the jobholder maybe required to perform other duties appropriate to the grade of the post within the department and division.
Communication & networking
- Communicate complex information orally and in writing
- Communicate material of a specialist or highly technical nature at regular lab meetings and conferences when required
- Liaise with research colleagues and staff at all levels
- Contribute to the production of research and progress reports and prepare data for publication
- Work must be performed at the highest quality for publication in peer reviewed journals
Analysis & research
- Analyse and interpret data and draw conclusions
- Develop research objectives and proposals for own research with support from colleagues
- Conduct individual and collaborative research projects
- Keep up to date of advances in the stem cell, regenerative medicine and cardiovascular field
- Develop expertise in a range of techniques
Team work, teaching & learning support
- Train other colleagues in specialist research techniques when required
- Collaborate with colleagues on joint projects as required
- Show consideration to others
- Respect confidentiality
The above list of responsibilities may not be exhaustive, and the post holder will be required to undertake such tasks and responsibilities as may reasonably be expected within the scope and grading of the post.