The School of Engineering (SoE)
The SoE has been at the forefront of innovation for nearly a century, creating pivotal technologies that have transformed the worlds of information technology, communications, health care, energy, business and beyond. Our faculty and students are creative risk-takers who pursue excellence across a breadth of disciplines. Our alumni include some of the world's most successful leaders in technology and business. Our staff are critical to enabling Stanford Engineering to accomplish its mission: seeking solutions to some of the world's most urgent challenges and educating leaders who will make the world a better place through the power of engineering principles, techniques and systems.
Are you ready for the next step in your research administration career? If you have three years of research administration experience, this role may be perfect for you. On behalf of eight SoE academic departments, the Engineering Research Administration (ERA) administers approximately 920 annual awards and $121 million in annual sponsored research. ERA is a high-volume and productive administrative unit, and the ERA staff collectively manage the pre- and post-award activities for a large and diverse portfolio of sponsoring agencies (over 290 different agencies). ERA is looking for a Research Administrator (RA) who will provide a full range of administrative, financial and other tasks associated with pre- and post-award sponsored research activities and services, including proposal preparation and post-award management of funds and budgets. The RA will manage the proposal preparation and post-award activities on routine sponsored projects such as federal grants, foundation grants, and industrial contracts.
Your responsibilities include:
• Ability to independently interpret research and fiscal policies
• Available to work before / after normal business hours, when such hours are necessary to ensure the successful submission of an important proposal or the completion of other time sensitive work
• Demonstrated commitment to regularly update and maintain technology skills
• Ensure that each award in the RA’s portfolio adheres to regulations set forth by the sponsor and the university
• Excellent analytical skills, including proficiency in producing spreadsheet (Microsoft Excel)
• Excellent command of written and spoken English; excellent communication skills
• Experience working successfully with PIs and their administrative staff
• Familiar with administering awards (pre and post) for a large number of diverse external funding sources
• Initiate, complete, and submit contract and grant proposals on behalf of Principal Investigators (PIs) to the university’s Office of Sponsored Research (OSR)
• Knowledge of fund accounting and accounting principles
• Knowledge of or ability to learn Stanford administrative and financial systems
• Mission-driven and able to understand the importance of research to PIs, departments, and the School
• Monitor and report on the fiscal status of each award to both PIs and sponsors
• Oriented toward consistently providing excellent customer service
• Proficiency in pre- and post-award research administrational knowledge of governmental regulations
• Provide financial reports that are reflective of a PIs sponsored activities
• Strong ability to organize and prioritize workload and work effectively in a fast-paced, deadline-driven work environment
• Strong interpersonal skills including tact, diplomacy, and flexibility
• Strong math and accounting skills
In addition, preferred requirements include:
- Bachelor’s degree and three years of relevant experience, or a combination of education and relevant experience.
Why Stanford is for You
Imagine a world without search engines or social platforms. Consider lives saved through first-ever organ transplants and research to cure illnesses. Stanford University has revolutionized the way we live and enrich the world. Supporting this mission is our diverse and dedicated 17,000 staff. We seek talent driven to impact the future of our legacy. Our culture and unique perks empower you with:
- Freedom to grow. We offer career development programs, tuition reimbursement, or audit a course. Join a TedTalk, film screening, or listen to a renowned author or global leader speak.
- A caring culture. We provide superb retirement plans, generous time-off, and family care resources.
- A healthier you. Climb our rock wall, or choose from hundreds of health or fitness classes at our world-class exercise facilities. We also provide excellent health care benefits.
- Discovery and fun. Stroll through historic sculptures, trails, and museums.
- Enviable resources. Enjoy free commuter programs, ridesharing incentives, discounts and more!
How to Apply
We invite you to apply for this position by clicking on the “Apply for Job” button. In order to be considered, please submit a cover letter and résumé along with your online application. Your one-page cover letter should briefly describe your background in customer service and provide examples of your experience with attention to detail, responsiveness, and decision-making.
The job duties listed are typical examples of work performed by positions in this job classification and are not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory for all duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Specific duties and responsibilities may vary depending on department or program needs without changing the general nature and scope of the job or level of responsibility. Employees may also perform other duties as assigned.
Consistent with obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with any disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
Stanford is an equal opportunity employment opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or another other characteristic protected by law.
- Schedule: Full-time
- Job Code: 4482
- Employee Status: Regular
- Grade: G
- Requisition ID: 87084