Sr. Learning Technologist
The Teaching and Learning Lab (TLL), supports and develops innovative and effective approaches, across modalities, to teaching and learning at the Harvard Graduate School of Education. The successful candidate will be passionate about exploring new technologies, solving complex problems, and using technologies in support of our strategic commitment to deliver high-quality educational experiences that transform lives.
What We Offer
- A team that is caring, supportive, creative and fun. We have knitters, woodworkers, marathon runners, bakers, artists, parents (of humans, and cats, dogs, and plants), international travelers, and more.
- While we currently work remotely we stay find ways to stay connected, and build relationships, participating in virtual drawing games, sharing stories, and other virtual events.
- We have a team with diverse backgrounds and unique experiences that enables us to continuously learn from one another, iterate on our processes, and enhance our work.
- You will have the opportunity to work with a team that is creative, eccentric, empathetic, caring and always focused on creating high-quality, human-centered learning experiences.
We are looking for someone who is:
- Passionate about exploring and evaluating new technologies, and providing support and guidance to staff and faculty.
- Committed to delivering a human-centered, caring, quality learner experience.
- Comfortable with ambiguity, growth mindset, and ability to work both autonomously, and in collaboration, to deliver on precise deadlines.
- Experienced in developing content and have the skills needed to work with a diverse community.
- Knowledgeable in pedagogies needed to for working in online and blended learning, and of digital accessibility standards.
- Passionate for learning and remaining on the cutting edge of current thinking in learning science and educational technology, and will have an ability to present a perspective on these issues in strategic and technical conversations.
Learning Technologies and Innovation (45%)
- Work closely with other team members, partners, and technology providers to evaluate, test, implement, and extend course authoring tools, maintain documentation and provide technology training and support.
- Select appropriate technologies to implement and integrate digital content with a learning management system.
- Develop faculty and student help and support tools to facilitate learning and operating learning management and video collaboration systems; maintain continuous contact with faculty and staff to gather requirements and anticipate future needs.
- When applicable, partner with team to design a high-level vision for a course or project learning experience, including learner journeys, technology and platform features, and metrics of technology effectiveness and learner success.
- Work with stakeholders and other TLL team members on educational strategy ideation, decision-making, project planning, and implementation.
- Under the guidance and within the vision of the Associate Director, Learning Design, oversee the lifecycle of new teaching and learning platforms, tools, and technologies — including discovery, exploration, piloting, and implementation.
- Lead and manage relationships with external vendors including developing specs, functional requirements, and creating and managing budgets and scope of work.
Course Development (45%)
- Provide technical and pedagogical support for the design and development of engaging, caring, humanizing and active learning experiences via various modes of delivery.
- Utilize best practices and current thinking from learning science and educational technology to design and develop highly effective, engaging learning experiences and content.
- Identify solutions to increase interactivity of digital content, get faculty feedback, and implement selected solutions for on-campus, online, and blended courses.
- Assist faculty in converting faculty-provided content – including multimedia content, online learning and group collaboration activities, assessments, etc. –into online modules.
- Partner with team in guiding faculty in their development of assessment strategies, activity types, and learner interactions.
- Work with project managers to establish project plans, including key learning design milestones, deliverables, team allocation, and budget.
Research, Documentation, and Analytics (10%)
- Provide leadership in researching and developing new educational technologies in residential, online and hybrid programs.
- Develop metrics and collect data to evaluate learning experience, ensure quality, and implement continuous improvements.Analyze learning-related challenges and
- opportunities, including learning proposition, learning goals, key differentiators, learner personas, and metrics of learner success.
- Develop and lead strategies to gather data to validate and refine learning design choices prior to and following release.
- May include supervision of staff, student workers and interns
Once Harvard resumes regular operations this position will no longer be remote and work will be performed on campus in Cambridge, MA.
- Bachelor’s degree and minimum of five years experience in instructional technology and/or design
- Technical experience developing and deploying courses in current learning management systems (edX and Canvas preferred)
Any candidate wishing to be considered must supply a cover letter in addition to their resume and must indicate meeting all basic qualifications.
- Current understanding of educational technology trends, issues, and innovations, as they relate to post-secondary education
- Experience working in a client service role or consulting organization; experience in higher education and non-higher education settings.
- Experience communicating ideas visually through sketches, wireframes, diagrams, etc.
- Experience working with product managers, user interface designers, and software developers to prototype, user test and developing requirements for technology solutions.
- Strong, communicative, collaborator with a track record of working closely with other teams to achieve project objectives within deadlines and budgets.
- Experience with learning analytics and evaluation
- Experience with tools for accessibility
- Experience with UI/UX testing
- Ability to quickly learn new technologies and transfer knowledge to others in formal and informal contexts
- Master’s degree in Education or a related field
- Data Science tools (such as Rstudio and Jupyter Notebooks)
- Excellent written and communication skills
- Project management
TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT USED:
Microsoft Office applications, Canvas, Canvas LTI’s, Enterprise Applications software, established and emerging tools for communication, collaboration, and presentation.
HGSE is a diverse community of learners, teachers, and employees who are passionate about changing the world through education and striving for maximum impact in the field of education.
HGSE Human Resources values diversity in all forms, and believes that each employee brings a set of diverse experiences and identities to the workplace that makes us stronger, encourages innovation, and enhances our collective contributions. We continue to develop and support a workforce that reflects the diversity of those we serve; fosters an environment that allows each individual to belong and to bring their best self to work; and creates the conditions that empower employees to contribute their full potential to advancing the work of the school.
We do this by:
- Hiring and retaining staff reflecting the diversity of those we serve;
- Providing employees opportunities to learn, grow, and be challenged;
- Reviewing and ensuring fairness and equity in HR practices and policies including but not limited to hiring, promotion, and compensation;
- Developing strong relationships and partnerships internal and external to our community to advance diversity and inclusion;
- Communicating transparently and respectfully; and
- Fostering an inclusive, respectful, and professional work environment
We regret that the Harvard Graduate School of Education does not provide Visa sponsorship.
About the Harvard Graduate School of Education
Many choose to work at the Harvard Graduate School of Education because they believe in our mission and are excited by our vision for the future. We have a reputation as a great place to work, for our excellent leadership, and we are a strong community that values diversity. For more information about HGSE, its programs, research, and faculty, please visit: www.gse.harvard.edu