5 days left
- Full Time
Independently provide a range of user experience services and consultation for a unit or school.
We are looking for a software engineer who will join us in the Department of Biomedical Informatics at Harvard Medical School and help us build a platform that will enable scientists to visualize and annotate high-resolution genomic data, and aid in studies of diseases such as cancer. We are looking for a bright, motivated generalist, who will contribute at multiple levels of the project, with particular focus on: 1. Data visualization using WebGL and other high-performance browser-side techniques; 2. Designing practical and user interface based on customer needs; 3. Scoping and proposing new product features; 4. Working with scientific researchers on the team to deliver a product capable of providing life-saving biological insights. The platform we are building is currently in the early stage of development and has a limited featureset. A demo of the related visualization component effort is available here: http://vitessce.io/?dataset=linnarsson-2018 .
Typical Core Duties
- Conduct complex design activities and projects that integrate research results, design requirements, and University requirements
- Participate in multidisciplinary projects with accountability for design development
- Identify and resolve problems and provide advice
- Contribute to the improvement of user experience standards and best practices
- Present UX research and design recommendations
- Provide UX training to colleagues and clients
- Abide by and follow the Harvard University IT technical standards, policies and Code of Conduct
- Minimum of 2 years post-secondary education or relevant work experience
- Minimum of two years’ additional post-secondary education or relevant work experience
- Knowledge of information technology applications, processes, software and equipment
- Demonstrated team performance skills, service mindset approach, and the ability to act as a trusted advisorA Bachelor of Science (or equivalent academic or practical experience) in
- a technical subject (Computing Science, Engineering, Maths, Biology, etc...)
Strong coding skills (coding interview is part of our recruitment process)Working knowledge of WebGL or a modern web framework (React, Angular, etc.) or a data visualization framework (d3). An existing portfolio of projects (we will request a demo of a project, ideally an interactive data visualization, a user-facing app or a game) Scientific experience, such as a PhD in a technical field or a portfolio of published research work would be a bonus, but is not a necessary requirement.
Certificates and Licenses
Completion of Harvard IT Academy specified foundational courses (or external equivalent) preferred
Work is performed in an office setting
Harvard offers an outstanding benefits package including:
Time Off: 3 - 4 weeks paid vacation, paid holiday break, 12 paid sick days, 11.5 paid holidays, and 3 paid personal days per year.
Medical/Dental/Vision: We offer a variety of excellent medical plans, dental & vision plans, all coverage begins as of your start date.
Retirement: University-funded retirement plan with full vesting after 3 years of service.
Tuition Assistance Program: Competitive tuition assistance program, $40 per class at the Harvard Extension School and discounted options through participating Harvard grad schools.
Transportation: Harvard offers a 50% discounted MBTA pass as well as additional options to assist employees in their daily commute.
Wellness options: Harvard offers programs and classes at little or no cost, including stress management, massages, nutrition, meditation, and complementary health services.
Harvard access to athletic facilities, libraries, campus events, and many discounts throughout metro Boston.
The Harvard Medical School is not able to provide visa sponsorship for this position.