Independently perform complex applications/web development for projects of large to very large size and complexity; typically work as part of a team to implement business solutions. Responsible for all aspects of application development cycle. Code advanced and complex software solutions.
Join us in developing high profile tools that enable world-class Harvard researchers to bring cutting-edge scientific discoveries to patient care!
Harvard Catalyst | The Harvard Clinical and Translational Science Center at Harvard Medical School has assembled a team that creates and maintains tools and websites used by clinical and translational researchers to obtain services and information offered by Harvard Catalyst. Our transaction-based workflow systems require sophisticated yet simple interfaces to ensure researchers can quickly and efficiently accomplish their tasks.
If you join our team, you will:
- Create and maintain sophisticated and highly visible web applications
- Work with smart and creative people
- Solve interesting software engineering and computer science problems
- Use industry-leading technologies
We are looking for a full-stack Software Engineer who is familiar with Agile software engineering practices and tools, is passionate for the development and delivery of quality software, and is capable and enthusiastic about working with product owners, engineers, and testers. The Software Engineer has the following responsibilities:
- Work closely with technical leadership and other engineers to manifest evolving requirements into a working suite of applications
- Implement RESTful web services using Java, Spring, and Hibernate
- Develop appropriate unit tests, and adhere to coding standards and best practices established by technical leadership
Typical Core Duties
- Participate fully in software development life cycle
- Implement and support technical solutions to deliver business requirements
- Identify and evaluate opportunities to improve services
- Contribute ideas to coding best practices and new technologies
- Draw on relationship and technical skills to act as technical liaison to internal and external clients
- Abide by and follow the Harvard University IT technical standards, policies and Code of Conduct
- Minimum of two years' post-secondary education and/or relevant work experience
- Minimum of two years' additional post-secondary education and/or relevant work experience
- BA/BS in computer science. The candidate will have 1+ years of experience in software development.
- Knowledge of information technology applications, processes, software and equipment
- Demonstrated team performance skills, service mindset approach, and the ability to act as a trusted advisor
M.S. in computer science or related field is preferred. Ideal candidates will have professional experience with end-to-end development (front-end, RESTful web services, database design). Experience working with Agile methodologies (continuous integration, unit testing, SCRUM) is highly desirable. Experience with React, Redux, Hibernate, and Spring is highly desirable. Experience with similar front end technologies like AngularJS, and extJS is also valuable. Candidates should be comfortable collaborating with technical leadership, sponsors, and end-users. Prior experience in the development of biomedical informatics applications and scientific software is highly desirable.
Certificates and Licenses
Completion of Harvard IT Academy specified foundational courses (or external equivalent) preferred
Work is performed in an office setting
This is a term appointment with the end date of 4/30/2022 with the possibility of renewal contingent on funding.
Harvard offers an outstanding benefits package including:
Time Off: 3 - 4 weeks paid vacation, paid holiday break, 12 paid sick days, 11.5 paid holidays, and 3 paid personal days per year.
Medical/Dental/Vision: We offer a variety of excellent medical plans, dental & vision plans, all coverage begins as of your start date.
Retirement: University-funded retirement plan with full vesting after 3 years of service.
Tuition Assistance Program: Competitive tuition assistance program, $40 per class at the Harvard Extension School and discounted options through participating Harvard grad schools.
Transportation: Harvard offers a 50% discounted MBTA pass as well as additional options to assist employees in their daily commute.
Wellness options: Harvard offers programs and classes at little or no cost, including stress management, massages, nutrition, meditation, and complementary health services.
Harvard access to athletic facilities, libraries, campus events, and many discounts throughout metro Boston.
The Harvard Medical School is not able to provide visa sponsorship for this position.