Research Assistant, Computational Mechanics and Geomechanics.
- Full-time, 3-year fixed-term contract; based at RMIT City campus but may be required to work and/or based at other campuses of the University
- Utilise and further develop your research expertise in Geotechnical Engineering through conducting research and development activities in Computational Mechanics and Geomechanics
- Report to Discipline Leader, Geotechnical and Infrastructure Engineering
- Remuneration at Academic Level A ($68,983 - $93,569) + 17% superannuation
RMIT is a multi-sector university of technology, design and enterprise with more than 91,000 students and 11,000 staff globally. RMIT offers postgraduate, undergraduate, vocational education and online programs to provide students with a variety of work-relevant pathways.
Our purpose is to offer life-changing experiences for our students, and to help shape the world with research, innovation, teaching and industry engagement. With strong industry connections forged over 130 years, collaboration with industry remains integral to RMITs leadership in education, applied and innovative research, and to the development of highly skilled, globally focused graduates.
Our Values inspire us, wherever we are in the world, and guide how we live and work together.
Imagination. Agility. Courage. Passion. Impact. Inclusion.
What unites us is our purpose and our values; they are at the heart of who we are, what we stand for, how we make decisions and connect with each other.
Our people make everything at the University possible. We encourage new approaches to work and learning, stimulating change to drive positive impact. RMIT exists to create transformative experiences for our students, getting them ready for life and work. You will be a part of a productive and collaborative team, who values working relationships and outcomes through open and inclusive planning, continuous information sharing and transparent work practices.
About the College
The College comprises three Schools delivering a broad range of programs in science, engineering, health and technology at higher education certificate, bachelor, masters and PhD levels. There is a vibrant research community attracting funding from a range of government and industry sources. The College has an annual income of approximately $500 million (with over $50 million in external research income p/a) and employs around 1,400 staff providing on and offshore programs to approximately 30,000 students (including 1,200 PhD students).
The School of Engineering comprises a diverse range of disciplines: Aerospace Engineering & Aviation; Chemical & Environmental Engineering; Civil & Infrastructure Engineering; Electrical & Biomedical Engineering; Electronic & Telecommunication Engineering; Manufacturing, Materials & Mechatronic Engineering; Mechanical & Automotive Engineering.
As a top 100 university in the world for engineering (2015 QS Rankings by Faculty; Engineering and Technology), RMIT Engineering provides students with work-relevant education programs, access to excellent research facilities and opportunities to engage in creative real-world project work through robust relations with local and international industry leaders.
More details on the School of Engineering in this link.
About You & the Role
In this role, you will work independently as well as collaboratively with the team of multidisciplinary researchers in contributing to quality research publications in high impact journals focusing on the research and development activities in computational mechanics and geomechanics. You will actively contribute in preparing and submitting competitive research grant proposals and applications in particularly targeting Category 1 outcomes. In addition, you are required to contribute 10% of your time to mentor & supervise postgraduate students and participate in learning program activities in appropriate to areas of expertise.
You will have:
- Evidence of excellent track record of research output including publications, conference contributions and/or technical reports in the Computational Mechanics and Geomechanics
- Demonstrated ability to build effective networks with colleagues and generate research funding through effective liaison with industry and government
- Capability to communicate and present research findings, concepts and knowledge with sound problem-solving & analytical skills
- Ability to manage and plan time effectively and efficiently to conduct innovative research independently and collaboratively across multi-disciplinary team, industry and government to achieve project demands and outcomes
- Working experience in supervising postgraduate by research students and the ability to teach in the relevant areas of expertise
Mandatory: PhD qualified with commensurate research experience in the field of Geotechnical Engineering or related fields will be considered.
Preferred: Candidate with in-depth knowledge and sound understanding of numerical analysis methods such as meshless and finite element methods is highly regarded.
Note: Appointment to this position is subject to passing a Working with Children check.
Bring your whole self to work
We are better for our diversity. When we listen to those who are different to us, or challenge us, we grow stronger together. When we feel like we belong, we can achieve so much more. We respect each other, embrace our differences and build a sense of belonging in our team and beyond.
Were proud to share with you some of our wins:
- RMIT University is an Athena SWAN member with Bronze Award accreditation and the College of Science, Engineering and Health is central to driving improvements in gender equality, diversity and inclusion, particularly in the Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics and Medicine (STEMM) disciplines.
- We are ranked #1 in the world for our efforts to reduce inequality in the Times Higher Education (THE) Impact Rankings 2020.
- RMIT University is placed 10th in overall Times Higher Education (THE) Impact Rankings 2020, rocketing up from 82nd place in 2019.
- In 2020, RMIT University has become the first Australian institution to receive the HR Excellence in Research Award, recognized by the European Commission.
- We placed 11th in the 2019 Talent Board APAC Candidate Experience Awards.
- RMIT was placed 10th in the 2019 Randstad Employer Brand Research Awards, up five spots from 2018.
- We were named as an Employer of Choice for Gender Equality by the Workplace Gender Equality Agency.
- We achieved Gold Employer status for LGBTIQ inclusion in the Australian Workplace Equality Index (AWEI) in 2018, 2019 and 2020. We are also the first organisation ever to be named Employer of the Year twice (2019 and 2020).
- We were recognised as a top five employer in 2018 for workplace accessibility with the Australian Network on Disability.
- The launch of our second Reconciliation Plan, Dhumbah Goorowa- a "commitment to share" - an important step in our reconciliation journey.
Please submit your updated resume and cover letter outlining your experience & achievements by clicking on the 'Apply now link. Please note that a separate response to Key Selection Criteria as stated on the Position Description is required. For any enquiries regarding this role, please contact Asso.Professor Majid Nazem (firstname.lastname@example.org).
We are also happy to make adjustments to the recruitment process for your accessibility requirements. Please contact us via your preferred type of communication: email TalentSupport@rmit.edu.au or call Kassie on +61399252442 with your request(s).
Applications close Sunday 20th September 2020.
RMIT is an equal opportunity employer committed to being a child safe organisation. We are dedicated to attracting, retaining and developing our people regardless of gender identity, ethnicity, sexual orientation, disability and age. Applications are encouraged from all sectors of the community and we strongly encourage applications from the Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander community.
Please note that whilst we still accept applications from any persons interested in our roles, due to the impacts of COVID-19, we are currently prioritising applications from those with current working rights in Australia and who are not affected by travel restrictions. Please see the latest updates to Australias immigration and border arrangements during the COVID-19 (Coronavirus) outbreak: https://covid19.homeaffairs.gov.au/