Assistant Professor in Data Journalism
Assistant Professor in Data Journalism
We seek applicants with expertise in one or more of the following areas: media writing; online journalism; digital news production; sports/science/financial/health/fashion journalism. Candidates will have demonstrated knowledge of industry trends and engagement in industry practice, including a range of experience working in print/tv/radio news production.
Qualifications: PhD in Journalism, Media and Communications, or closely related discipline by date of appointment; ability to make a distinct contribution to digital journalism and news production in a changing new media environment; evidence of successful teaching. Consideration may also be given to candidates with professional experience in digital journalism, and/or accreditation in journalism or similar distinction.
Professional development: Successful talented early career candidates with excellent research track records will be considered for the National University of Singapore Presidential Young Professorship (NUS PYP) scheme which includes a start-up research grant up to SGD 750,000 including scholarships to hire PhD students, and an award of SGD 250,000 for discretionary spending.
Responsibilities: Successful candidates are expected to teach 110-140 hours per academic year. Successful candidates will be expected to teach in the Communications and New Media undergraduate programme, the new master of communication graduate coursework programme. Other duties include supervision of honours students and graduate students, and administrative service. The anticipated start date is 1 January 2021 prior to the beginning of the semester in January 2021.
Context: Established in 2004, the Department of Communications and New Media is a leader in communication and new media research and education. It offers undergraduate, honours and PhD programmes in communications and new media studies, with an innovative curriculum that introduces students to key debates in the areas of media studies, communication management, interactive media design and cultural studies. Its curriculum provides students with practical skills in social media management, user interface design, and digital marketing. Its students undertake industry immersion through its compulsory internship programme. The Department also offers an undergraduate double degree with the School of Business; undergraduate minors in Interactive Media Design and Cultural Studies, and the Cultural Studies in Asia PhD programme. It has research concentrations in media psychology, health communication and cultural studies. Successful candidates for these positions will join an engaging community of 32 full-time faculty, 12 part-time instructors, and 760 undergraduate and graduate students.
For tenure-track applications, post-doctoral experience and a proven or strongly emerging track record of high quality research and impactful publications, alongside clear research plans, are highly desirable.
Remuneration is competitive and includes medical, housing, relocation and other benefits. Significant research start-up funding is available if appointed on the tenure track.
Singapore is a modern, English-speaking city state that is connected to the world via global commerce, finance and transport networks with a stable climate year round and a cosmopolitan mix of cultures and languages.
Interested parties must submit the following documents via academic jobs online - https://academicjobsonline.org/ajo/jobs/15876
- NUS Personal Data Consent Form for Job Applicants (Download file via link - www.nus.edu.sg/careers/files/NUS-Personal-Data-Consent-for-Job-Applicants.pdf)
- Academic History: Degrees obtained, scholarships and awards, post-doctoral and clinical/ residency training (where applicable), other study and research opportunities. All PhD and postdoctoral supervisors or any other senior authors with close and regular collaborations (full name and institution) should be listed.
- Scanned Copies of all degree certificates.
- Employment History. List all academic and non-academic positions.
- Name and contact details of PhD advisor/supervisor
- A statement (max. of 3 pages) of teaching philosophy and methodology. Where available, evidence of teaching ability such as student feedback or peer review reports should be provided. Evidence of other contributions to education, e.g. curriculum development, pedagogical innovation, production of teaching material, should be provided were available.
- A statement (max. of 3 pages) of major accomplishments in research, citing up to five significant publications, creative work or other scholarly contribution, and explaining their significance. Sample copies of these contributions should be provided (in the case of books, reviews should be provided).
- A research plan (3-page) with a proposed start-up research budget and utilisation plan.
- A complete list of publications, grouped according to papers, books, and reviews, including page numbers, in bibliographic form.
- Honours and Awards. To include major keynote and plenary addresses, elected membership in professional and learned societies membership on editorial board of leading journals.
- Citation (excluding self-citations and in the case of co-authored work, cross-citations) and impact analysis of research output, highlighting papers with the highest citation counts, and creative works with high impact.
- University Service. List and elaborate on the impact of service to the Department, Faculty, and/or University, particularly where there is impactful leadership.
- Public and Professional Service. List and elaborate on the impact of service to the international academic community, professional/industry, and national/international agencies.
- A list of FOUR references (including one from the applicant’s PhD or post-doctoral advisor/supervisor). Shortlisted candidates are required to arrange for the letters to be submitted prior to the campus visit.
- A list of modules you can teach under the Master of Communication graduate coursework programme.
Application Deadline: 4 September 2020
For full consideration, please submit a complete application. Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.