Head of Research Services
The Caltech Library is seeking a Head of Research Services to provide leadership in designing and implementing a research service vision that responds to current and emerging needs at Caltech and that leverages the strengths of an institution of Caltech’s size and prominence. Under the supervision of the University Librarian, this position will oversee the continued development of the Library’s reference, instruction, outreach, and research support programs. Additionally, the Head will be a leader, both on campus and in the greater library community, for scholarly communication, open access and publishing, and open science initiatives. A key member of the Library’s executive leadership team, the Head of Research Services supervises a team of 8+ FTE, including librarians and staff.
This is a campus critical position. An employee designated as campus critical is expected to be aware of the campus emergency management plan and to report to campus as soon as possible to assist in campus wide response and recovery efforts.
- Manage a department of 6 librarians and 2 support staff.
- Serve as a member of the Library leadership team with responsibility for Library-wide planning, policy, and assessment.
- Provide leadership on campus around the Library’s support for research, open access, publishing, and scholarly communication.
- Lead and participate in the Library’s liaison and outreach program.
- Develop the Library’s collection development strategy and lead the continued development of the Library’s collections.
- Collaborate on decisions regarding acquisition, licensing, and electronic resource management strategies and tools.
- Play a leadership role in developing a strategy to support data management planning, archiving, and access needs at Caltech.
- Work closely with campus partners on collaborative development of programs and services.
- Promote professional development and staff engagement.
- Be professionally active and represent the Caltech Library in relevant professional organizations.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Graduate degree in a pertinent accredited program.
- 3-5 years of related library work experience.
- Demonstrated supervisory or leadership experience.
- Demonstrated ability to manage professional-level staff.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and data analysis skills.
- Understanding of changes in scholarly communication practices, digital technologies, and trends.
- Record of sustained professional achievement in the field.
- Understanding of the scientific research environment.
- ALA-accredited Masters of Library Science (MLS).
- 5 or more years in a management or supervisory role.
- Bachelor’s or advanced degree in a science or engineering field.
- Experience with digital repositories and repository services.
- Experience with programmatic support for research data management.
- Experience with needs analysis or assessment and alignment of programs with needs analysis findings.
- Cover Letter