Associate Athletics Director, Communications and Digital Media
Stanford’s Department of Athletics, Physical Education and Recreation:
Stanford’s Department of Athletics, Physical Education and Recreation (“DAPER”) is the premier intercollegiate athletics program in the country. We are the proud Home of Champions! We lead the nation with 126 NCAA championship titles, completed an unprecedented sweep of both the men’s and women’s Capital One Cups, and have brought home the Learfield Director’s Cup for 25 straight years. We support nearly 900 varsity student-athletes who compete on 36 intercollegiate athletics teams, as well as the University’s physical education and recreation initiatives. Our dedicated coaches and staff members are guided by the core tenets of the Athletics Department culture, “The DAPER Way,” which are: Embrace Scholar-Athleticism, Pursue and Revere Excellence, Lead with Courage and Work Cohesively.
Are you ready to inspire champions in life? If yes, then this may be the right opportunity for you!
Reporting to the Executive Associate Athletics Director overseeing External Relations (“ER”), the Associate Athletics Director, Communications & Digital Media will oversee a dynamic team of content creation, public relations, and digital strategy professionals whose ultimate charge is to inspire people around the world to value the simultaneous pursuit of excellence in both athletics and academics. The team pursues this lofty goal by identifying, telling, and amplifying the powerful and inspirational stories of our student-athletes, coaches, and staff members, as well as highlighting their achievements in the classrooms and laboratories, in athletics, and in their lives beyond The Farm.
Your responsibilities include:
- Managing a team of 14 full-time communications, public relations, content creation, and digital media professionals
- Setting the strategic direction for and overseeing the operation of the official Athletics website, the main Athletics social media accounts, the main Athletics YouTube channel, all varsity team social media accounts, and other external-facing news and content channels managed by DAPER
- Refining, reinforcing, and advancing DAPER’s key messages and initiatives through all relevant content formats
- Ensuring that DAPER’s communications and digital media strategies and tactics adhere to, and even advance, relevant industry trends and best practices
- Ensuring compliance with relevant University, DAPER, and ER policies and best practices pertaining to communications, editorial content, press releases, media relations, digital media, use of name and marks, copyright, and other related areas
- Overseeing all aspects of DAPER’s media relations function, including managing inbound media inquiries and proactively building and tapping into national and local media relationships
- Coordinating DAPER’s approach to maintaining non-media influencer relationships, including with current and former student-athletes, current and former coaches and administrators, and other interested parties
- Overseeing and managing strategic vendor relationships, including with respect to the website, mobile app, social media, asset storage and management, photography, music, and others
- Overseeing the content-related aspects of the Stanford Home of Champions, an interactive museum that chronicles and celebrates the history of Stanford Athletics
- Cooperating closely with the university’s communications office to ensure consistent and complementary strategic plans with overall university outreach and communications
- Serving as DAPER’s primary point of contact with the Pac-12 Networks and the Pac-12 Conference Public Affairs & Communications office
- Serving as the primary escalation point for content-related inquiries and requests from student-athletes, alumni, coaches, and staff members
- Assisting the Executive Associate Athletics Director with special DAPER and University communications projects and issues
- Assisting the DAPER Executive Team with internal communications projects and initiatives
- Collaborating with the Executive Associate Athletics Director overseeing ER and the other Associate Athletics Directors within ER to set and manage the strategic and cultural direction for all of ER
- Identifying revenue-generating and attendance-driving opportunities in the digital media space and collaboratively pursuing them with the appropriate groups (e.g., Marketing, Corporate Partnerships, Ticket Office)
- Assisting with the development and implementation of recruiting strategies and asset-creation processes that support recruiting efforts across all varsity sports
- Collaborating with relevant stakeholders to set and manage the strategic and creative direction of our live video streaming function for non-televised home competitions
- Overseeing day-to-day management of on-air talent for radio broadcasts, live audio and video streams, and other forms of content requiring the use of on-air talent
To be successful in this role, you will bring:
- Bachelor’s degree and eight years of relevant experience, or combination of education and relevant experience
- Demonstrated leadership, supervisory, planning, and change management skills
- Ability to motivate, develop, and train staff
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and presence at all levels and for all audiences
- Ability to influence people, solve problems, troubleshoot, think creatively, and resolve conflicts
- Ability to strike the right balance between managing, coaching, rolling up your sleeves, and leading by example
- Advanced analytical and problem-solving skills
- Demonstrated editorial and storytelling skills
- Capacity to write and synthesize complex materials and communicate highly technical information in a manner easily understood by a broad audience
- Strategic expertise in the media relations field
- Strategic expertise and vision in the digital media landscape
- Understanding of brand management principles
- Understanding of the complexities of media and television environments surrounding a vibrant Division I athletic program or professional sports organization
- Demonstrated passion for intercollegiate athletics
- Willingness to work nights and weekends occasionally
This position, along with all DAPER coach and staff positions, is responsible for the integrity of Stanford’s intercollegiate athletics program and for the reputation of Stanford University. Accordingly, this position must comply with and uphold all University policies and procedures, as well as all NCAA and conference rules and regulations.
*Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
Why Stanford is for you:
Stanford University has enriched the world and revolutionized the way we live. Supporting its mission is a diverse and dedicated 17,000-person staff. We seek talented people who are driven to impact the world. Our culture and unique perks empower you to:
- Learn and Grow. We offer career development programs, tuition reimbursement, and the ability to audit academic courses. Join a TedTalk, enjoy a concert or film screening, or listen to a renowned author or global leader speak.
- Pursue Your Personal Goals. We provide superb retirement plans, excellent health care benefits, generous time-off, and comprehensive family care resources.
- Be Well. Climb our rock wall, go for a swim, play a round of golf, or choose from hundreds of health and fitness classes at our world-class exercise facilities.
- Explore. Stroll through historic sculptures, trails, and museums located on our beautiful 8,180-acre campus.
- Enjoy Numerous Perks. Enjoy free commuter programs, ridesharing incentives, discounts, and more!
The job duties listed are typical examples of work performed by positions in this job classification and are not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Specific duties and responsibilities may vary depending on department or program needs without changing the general nature and scope of the job or level of responsibility. Employees may also perform other duties as assigned.
Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
Stanford is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
- Schedule: Full-time
- Job Code: 4266
- Employee Status: Regular
- Grade: L
- Requisition ID: 86923