Professor in Civil Engineering
DEPARTMENT: Civil Engineering
POSITION TITLE: Professor in Civil Engineering (All sub-disciplines)
LOCATION: SUZHOU CAMPUS
SALARY: 48,114 RMB/month (with the opportunity to go to 53,229 RMB/month based on future annual performance and evaluations after being in post)
POSITION OPEN DATE: 09/09/2020
ADVERTISEMENT CLOSING DATE: 15/11/2020
JOB ID: 996319
CONTRACT TYPE: Full Time
UNIVERSITY AND DEPARTMENT OVERVIEW:
Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University (XJTLU) is a unique collaborative institution and the first joint-venture university in China to offer both UK (University of Liverpool) and Chinese (Ministry of Education) accredited undergraduate degrees for all programmes. Formed in 2006, the first cohort of students graduated in August 2010. The University now has almost 15,000 students studying on campus. The language of instruction is English. XJTLU aims to become truly research-led, and has recently committed significant investment into research development and the expansion of PhD student numbers on campus.
XJTLU is located in the Higher Education Town of Suzhou Industrial Park (SIP). Suzhou has been ranked the 74th most liveable city in the 2018 Global Liveability Index. Additionally, it is well-connected via nearby airports to cities such as Hong Kong, Seoul, Tokyo, and Taipei, and via high-speed rail to other major cities in China. SIP is a major growth zone, including operations run by nearly one-fifth of the Fortune 500 top global companies. Greater Suzhou is now the fourth largest concentration of economic activity in China in terms of GDP, and the SIP has a higher GDP per capita than the UK. The broader Suzhou area encompasses the spirit of both old and new in China, with the historic old town’s canals, UNESCO World Heritage Site gardens, and the I.M. Pei-designed Suzhou Museum attracting millions of tourists annually. SIP offers an excellent quality of life with high environmental standards. The nearby Jinji Lake provides attractive views, by day and by night, and there is a variety of shopping facilities, international and local restaurants, entertainment hubs and nightlife. Suzhou is also home to four international schools.
The Department of Civil Engineering aims to provide professional academic training of JBM accredited degree courses, which focus on the core subjects of structures, hydraulics, geotechnics, materials, surveying and project management. The Department is continuously developing research areas in the sustainable development of Civil Engineering. The Department currently offers two BEng undergraduate degree programme in Civil Engineering and Architectural Engineering and three MSc degree programmes in Civil Engineering, Sustainable Construction, and Construction Management. The Department also operates a doctoral degree (Ph.D.) programme, where Ph.D. students are supervised by faculty members in their specialty areas.
The Department welcomes applications in any of the sub-disciplines: Materials and Structures, Geotechnics, Hydraulics, Hydrology, Construction Management, and Environmental Engineering for the positions Professor.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- Lead the improvement and engage actively in the learning and teaching activities of civil engineering and related programmes;
- Lead the further enhancement of research performance and outputs within the research subject area;
- Participate in strategy development and implementation at the university level. Provide administrative contributions to the department, school, and University.
Main Responsibility and Accountability
- Demonstration of, and further capacity to, make a significant contribution to the continued enhancement of the University’s reputation within the subject area both regionally and internationally;
- Show evidence of international recognition in the research subject area (such as leadership roles of international organisations, membership of editorial and advisory boards, award of prizes, and invitations to contribute at conferences);
- Engage actively in and sustain research activities as evidenced at the international level, for example by publication in international peer-reviewed journals with high impact factor, strategic research collaboration and grant income, and supervision of doctoral students to completion;
- Be responsible for the full engagement with the University’s strategies and policies relating to learning and teaching, as evidence for example by contributions to the management of learning and teaching within the Department, School, and/or University, initiation or significant development of a programme, curricula and/or assessment practices;
- Normally have substantial learning and teaching experience or relevant learning and teaching qualification for example through completion of a recognised qualification in the practice of learning and teaching at higher education level. A senior fellowship accreditation is preferred;
- Deliver high quality and effective teaching, as evidenced for example by peers, students and external examiners; Demonstrate evidence of external recognition for excellent teaching and assessment;
- Provide effective Leadership within the departmental context.
The candidate has to be a strong team player and self-motivated individual with good interpersonal and relationship building skills and high standards of professionalism. The post holder should also have a good research record, an international research profile, promoting and delivering high quality teaching and research as well as the skills to develop research links with external organisations. The post holder will be expected to enhance XJTLU’s excellence in research and teaching in the area of civil engineering.
- The candidate will have a PhD degree and extensive experience in civil engineering or an appropriate field;
- Appropriate research experience for the corresponding academic position;
- University level teaching experience;
- Fluency in English.
- A track record of both high quality and impact research and successful academic management;
- Substantial learning and teaching experience in higher education;
- The post holder should normally have professional qualification and membership of the Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE) or Institution of Structural Engineers (IstructE) or equivalent.
Members of Academic Staff are entitled to subsidies for accommodation, travel, and children’s educational, medical insurance, and a one-time relocation allowance is provided. Overseas staff may receive a tax “holiday,” depending on nationality and personal circumstances.
CITIZENSHIP AND VISA REGULATIONS:
Employment at Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University is regulated by Chinese Labour Laws, and must comply with the regulations of the provincial government. These regulations stipulate who is eligible for legal employment with regard to obtaining work permits and visas. Please be advised candidates over 65 may be not eligible for PRC work visa.
Please submit your applications online, https://career15.sapsf.cn/career?career_company=xjtlu
Applications must be submitted in a single pdf file that includes 3 parts in the order of:
- A cover letter
- A current CV, including date of birth, country of citizenship, and highest degree level
- Contact Details for Three References
Applications should be received by the closing date stated above. Informal enquiries about the positions and the department may be addressed to Head/Dean of Department, you could find the information from our job application webpage.
Informal enquiries please contact the Human Resource Office at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Apply for Professor in Civil Engineering
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly