Harvard Kennedy School
The Center for Public Leadership (CPL) has an opportunity for a Financial Associate to join a dynamic, growing finance and operations team. Reporting to the Assistant Director of Finance and Operations, the Financial Associate is a key member of CPL’s Finance and Operations team and will perform a variety of moderately complex office, financial and accounting duties.
Successful candidates will possess a growth mindset approach to the role and a natural curiosity and desire to learn and develop new areas of expertise. In addition, they will have strong interpersonal communication and relationship building skills, problem-solving skills, and the ability to manage multiple and shifting projects and priorities with an eye toward accuracy and attention to detail. This role is an excellent opportunity to learn in grow in the areas of finance and higher education administration and learn from a talented group of colleagues. We value and are dedicated to the goal of building a diverse and inclusive community. We strongly encourage applications from candidates who can demonstrate through their experience or service that they can contribute to the diversity and excellence of our community.
General responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Providing financial support to the center’s finance and operations team, including annual budgeting and fiscal year close;
- Assisting with vendor payments, invoices, journal entries, credit memos, corporate card reconciliations, and reimbursements, credit vouchers, etc.;
- Supporting financial and program staff in preparation of budgets, proposals, and financial reports; reviewing and monitoring financial data and monthly tracking sheets; and assisting management with forecasting and projections;
- Acting as a resource for Center on transactional inquires and financial/budgetary questions that require problem-solving and analytic capability;
- Running regular financial reports, such as the committed funds to ensure proper expense accounting;
- Serving as backup reviewer for departmental AP expenditures (i.e. travel and expense reimbursements, vendor payments, vendor set-up, invoice preparation and processing, and etc.);
- Assisting with scheduling of internal and external meetings;
- Preparing and assisting finance team with photocopying, printing, and compiling of documents for various financial meetings/trainings/workshops;
- Overseeing accurate financial records management and keeping select databases up to date (i.e. invoice tracking and check received logs, etc.);
- Typing out financial business processes, policies and checklists per the direction of supervisor;
- Managing a portfolio of sponsored and non-sponsored funds;
- Assisting with preparation and submission of grant proposals;
- Ensuring financial compliance with University policies and procedures and applicable legal rules and regulations, and communicating out to Center staff;
- Serve as principal source of information on complex fiscal policies and procedures including, travel guidelines and reimbursement policies, contract negotiation and management guidance, and etc.
- Evaluating, on an ongoing basis, CPL financial processes, and propose and implement enhancements to existing processes to increase efficiencies and adhere to best practices;
- Contributing to Center’s goals by performing other clerical and operations duties as needed, including occasional supply procurement and logistical support for special projects and programs
- 2 years of relevant financial and administrative experience gained through previous positions, internships, or practicums.
- Demonstrated experience with Microsoft Excel.
- Customer service mindset and customer-oriented approach, and ability to establish good working relationships with colleagues.
- Ability to remain cool under pressure and manage conflict with equanimity and grace.
- Excellent organizational skills, including attention to detail and accuracy.
- Experience managing financial data and doing so with confidentiality and discretion.
- Ability to work independently and to adapt to changing priorities and deadlines.
- Demonstrated proficiency with standard software, specifically Excel; and ability to quickly learn new software.
- Familiarity with Harvard’s systems and Oracle Applications experience not required, but a plus.
Important Application Instructions: Please submit a cover letter along with your resume.
Work Hours: Candidates must be able to work a 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. schedule, due to the frontline customer-focused nature of the role.
This position is a benefits-eligible term appointment ending one year after date of hire with strong possibility of extension.
We regret that the Harvard Kennedy School does not provide Visa Sponsorship.
Harvard University requires pre-employment references and background checks.
Harvard University is committed to supporting a healthy, sustainable learning and working environment.