Dean, School of Languages
POSITION TITLE: Dean of School, Professor
LOCATION: SUZHOU CAMPUS
SALARY: internationally competitive
ADVERTISEMENT CLOSING DATE: 5 October 2020
JOB ID: 996305
CONTRACT TYPE: full-time
UNIVERSITY AND DEPARTMENT OVERVIEW:
Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University (XJTLU) China’s leading Joint Venture university. Founded in 2006, it now has almost 15,000 students in China; and another 3,500 in Liverpool completing degrees. It plans to grow to about 27,000 students by 2025. The strengths of the university are in Science and Technology, as well as some professional subjects like Architecture and Business. There are currently 865 academic staff, about half of whom are not citizens of the People’s Republic of China (PRC). The language of instruction, committees, and administrative work at XJTLU is English.
The university is located in the Higher Education Town of Suzhou Industrial Park (SIP), well-connected via nearby airports to cities such as Hong Kong, Seoul, Tokyo, and Taipei, and via high-speed rail to other major cities in China, including nearby Shanghai. SIP is a significant growth zone, including operations run by more than one-fifth of the Fortune 500 top global companies. Greater Suzhou is now the fourth largest concentration of economic activity in China in terms of GDP, and the SIP has been on the receiving end of both private and public investments into innovation and R&D.
The School of Languages teaches English for Academic Purposes, Chinese, Japanese and Spanish. The School is committed to excellence in technology-enhanced language learning and teaching-led research. There are 253 members of academic staff. It has two constituent centres each led by a Director and a Centre Management Team/CMT: the English Language Centre/ELC (212 academic members of staff) and the Modern Languages Centre/MLC (41 academic members of staff). As all XJTLU students take EAP in Years 1 and 2 student numbers are in excess of 4000 just in the first year. The School of Languages is in an exciting moment of success and growth and this is a particularly attractive role for the person appointed.
Further information on the School, University, and Suzhou may be found at the university website: http://www.xjtlu.edu.cn
- Be able both to enhance and implement an existing strategic vision for the School that aligns with University strategy;
- A strong track record of success in all forms of HE management but particularly in the area of people management with an emphasis on building strong teams and processes or systems that support career development and enable staff through PDRs. This includes conducting difficult conversations and, if appropriate, disciplinary hearings;
- An internationally distinguished profile in EAP and/or Modern Languages and a strong commitment to teaching-led research and innovation in education with special reference to technology-enhanced language learning and the provision of an outstanding student experience;
- Substantial experience in innovative curriculum and programme development in EAP and/or Modern Languages;
- Experience managing and planning budgets as well as networking an academic unit internally and externally to build brand and profile;
- Experience working within a thriving multicultural environment as a model intercultural ambassador for staff and students alike;
- An ability to lead, uplift and inspire academic staff from within the school, across the four languages currently taught.
Salary is by negotiation and will be internationally competitive. There is a generous benefit-package including subsidies towards the costs of housing, travel, and children’s education, as well as the provision of insurance. There is also an allowance for the costs of relocation.
CITIZENSHIP AND VISA REGULATIONS:
Employment at Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University is regulated by Chinese Labour Laws, and must comply with the regulations of the provincial government. These regulations stipulate who is eligible for legal employment with regard to obtaining work permits and visas. Please be advised candidates over 65 may be not eligible for PRC work visa.
Please submit your applications online, https://career15.sapsf.cn/career?career_company=xjtlu
Applications must be submitted in a single pdf file that includes 3 parts in the order of:
- A cover letter
- A current CV, including date of birth, country of citizenship, and highest degree level
- Contact Details for Three References
Applications should be received by the closing date stated above. Informal enquiries about the positions and the department may be addressed to Head/Dean of Department, you could find the information from our job application webpage.
Informal enquiries please contact the Human Resource Office at email@example.com .
Apply for Dean, School of Languages
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly