Research Fellow, Centre for Antimicrobial Bioengineering
The Centre for Antimicrobial Bioengineering at the School of Chemical and Biomedical Engineering, Nanyang Technological University (Singapore) is seeking candidates to work as Research Fellow to design and synthesize polysaccharides, peptides, polymers and their conjugates which will be used antimicrobial agents for diverse applications such as for food packaging, personal care, fish farming, etc.
The candidate will work in an integrated team of Microbiologists and Chemists to design and synthesize new antimicrobial polymeric coatings/ polymers/peptides/copolymers/ polysaccharides that will inhibit Gram negative and Gram positive pathogens as well as Mycobacteria and fungal pathogens. The goal is to design and synthesize active compounds, that are non-toxic to mammalian cells, and that represent lead compounds for drug development.
- The candidate will work with PhD students as well as research staff to achieve the project goals
- Develop and execute experiments aimed at the synthesis, self-assembly and modification of novel antimicrobial block copolymers, polysaccharides and polypeptides
- Prepare technical reports for the Program Principal Investigators and present data at regular group meetings
- Draft research publications
- Assist with organization and management of the research team
- PhD degree in Chemical Engineering, Materials Science or related fields. Expertise in polymer and polypeptide synthesis methods such as glycochemistry, NCA, ATRP, RAFT, NCA, ring-opening, etc.
- Capacity to develop and interpret polymer structure-assembly relationship, antimicrobial activity and polymer self-assembly behavior
- Expertise in developing and interpreting experiments for design and synthesis of novel antimicrobial block polymers/peptides
- Ability to work in a multidisciplinary team
- Good interpersonal and communication skills, oral and written, as well as organizational
We regret that only shortlisted candidates will be notified.