Museum Store Website Photography Coordinator
Department Art Museum
Category Arts and Museum Administration
Full-Time / Part-Time Temporary
The Princeton University Art Museum, one of the nation’s preeminent cultural institutions in an academic setting, seeks applications for Museum Store Website Photography Coordinator (the Coordinator). The successful candidate will work both onsite and remotely, and within the context of a world-renowned Art Museum that is intimate in scale yet expansive in scope.
The Coordinator reports to and will work directly with the Manager of Wholesale and Retail Operations to ensure that the aesthetic and technical components of the Store website are current, accurate, and reflect the mission of the Art Museum and the Museum Store. The candidate will work collaboratively as well as independently. In order to access and photograph merchandise, the position requires approximately 5-7 hours per week onsite in the Museum.
Product photography is the main focus of this position therefore prior experience is key. The Coordinator will create an organized system by which to gather content, while maintaining continuity of theme, updating layouts, and streamlining navigation on the current Shopify platform.
The candidate should have working knowledge of the Shopify online platform (or similar ecommerce company), search engine analytics to maximize traffic to the site, and familiarity with retail point of sale systems. The Coordinator will be trained in appropriate Museum and Store related systems where needed, as well as in security and emergency preparedness procedures.
The Museum is preparing for tremendous growth, including a new facility being designed by Sir David Adjaye, which will provide dramatically enhanced spaces for the display of the collections, temporary exhibitions, collections study, education, and public amenities. These changes will enable the Museum to better advance its mission of making extraordinary works of art an essential part of the university experience for Princeton students and faculty; to be a leader in museum-based research, teaching, and interpretation; and to be an essential resource to the wider community and to visitors from around the world.
About the Museum:
With a collecting history that extends back to 1755, the Princeton University Art Museum is one of the leading university art museums in the country, with collections that have grown to include more than 100,000 works ranging from ancient to contemporary art and spanning the globe. Its collections of Chinese painting, the art of the ancient Americas, and photography are widely regarded as being among the world's finest.
A private institution serving the public good, the Museum is committed to serving the University, local and regional communities, and beyond through a dynamic program of temporary exhibitions, new scholarship, and innovative programming. By collaborating with experts across many disciplines, fostering sustained study of original works of art, and uniting scholarship with broad accessibility, the Museum contributes to the development of critical thinking and visual literacy at Princeton University and enhances the civic fabric of our nation.
The Museum also serves as a gateway to the University for more than 200,000 visitors from around the world each year. Intimate in scale yet expansive in scope, it offers a respite from the rush of daily life, a revitalizing experience of extraordinary works of art and an opportunity to delve deeply into the study of art and culture. The Museum is located at the heart of the Princeton campus, a short walk from the shops and restaurants of Nassau Street, and is free and open to the public.
Learn more about the Princeton University Art Museum,
- Photograph existing and new products consistent with the website’s format using natural lighting or a light box unit (camera and light box will be provided).
- Shoot on mannequin, lay flats, jewelry stands and hanging accessories.
- Edit photos using Adobe PhotoShop for a white background aesthetic.
- Upload photos to Springboard Point of Sale per Shopify requirements.
- Drive site navigation by adding and deleting products to collections and adapting menu features.
- Coordinate product titles and descriptions with writing coordinator and editor.
- Organize merchandise groupings for other media and online platforms.
- Collaborate with Manager of Information Technology.
- Work with Store Manager to establish and maintain an efficient work flow.
Flexible work schedule with timely attention to balance of tasks. Approximately 10-15 hours per week of which 5-7 hours per week will be in the Museum.
- Solid product photography experience required; experience in a digital print and/or web environment preferred.
- Strong knowledge of photography techniques required; experience using a Single Reflex Camera strongly preferred.
- Proficiency in Adobe Photoshop required, with experience using the layering feature.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills required. E-commerce writing skills are a plus.
- Ability to be proactive and problem solve in a changing environment.
- Working knowledge of the Shopify online platform or similar e-commerce platform and familiarity with retail point of sale systems preferred.
- References will be checked and a background check is required. All new hires are also required to complete Covid-19 Safety Training prior to start.
- A digital sampling of your work will be required upon request.
Princeton is actively engaged in efforts related to the impacts of coronavirus. Our top priority is to support the health and well-being of our community as we continue to advance our teaching and research mission. For the most up-to-date information, refer to the University's Coronavirus Information website and Information for Candidates During COVID-19 page.
Be advised that you will be contacted only if there is further interest in your application. The candidate dashboard will not display status updates for this requisition.
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW.